Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Are you looking forward to Halo

Yes, really enjoyed the original
43%
No, I don't really care for Halo
28%
Not fussed either way
30%

Total votes: 54

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:10 am

Spooky wrote:I didn't play the first one (at least not more than 1 chapter) so I'm pleased with this remake. Maybe after I complete this one, I'll finally be in the mood to complete number 2?
I was a big fan of the first but hated the second and was geneally indifferent to the 3rd so not necessarily......

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:22 am

Romulous wrote:Halo = AR$E
Have fun in your stupid bubble

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:52 pm

Okay fair enough, you played it and didn't like it and didn't play it again. Right? No?
Why did you play the second one if the first one didn't do anything for you?

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:55 pm

halo=sphincter surely?

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:10 pm

HEAVYface wrote:
halo=sphincter surely?
:wink: Sure that's not Prey-Plenty of those during that game.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:14 am

QuantumCrayons wrote:
Okay fair enough, you played it and didn't like it and didn't play it again. Right? No?
Why did you play the second one if the first one didn't do anything for you?
I actually played the first one on the PC, the second one was on the XBOX.

I got totally sucked in with the hype of the third one, purchased the limited edition and took it back the next day extremely disappointed.

In honesty i have 'never' looked at another one as i dont want to be let down again.

@ rayne - keep your stupid bubble, this is my opinion - no need to insult me!
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:52 am

I still haven't played HALO since I'm still in a kind of shock. In 1999/2000 it was one of those PC titles I was most looking forward to, and then suddenly Microsoft bought Bungie and the PC version was cancelled (until 2003). The previews looked amazing, especially graphics-wise. On the Xbox back in 2001, very little of those amazing (PC) visuals were surfacing. Granted, the gameplay was pretty great, obviously.
But I gotta give HALO a chance. One day. I guess. :-)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:24 am

Well we'll be reviewing it once it's out. But will it make the cover...

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:39 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well we'll be reviewing it once it's out. But will it make the cover...
:wink: Take it you've a long holiday planned for the month it ever does make the cover.Fear the forum will go into meltdown.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:36 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well we'll be reviewing it once it's out. But will it make the cover...
Are you a fan of the the halo franchise? If so perhaps you shouldnt review it :lol: .

Eat your nans pants

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:51 am

Kai wrote:I still haven't played HALO since I'm still in a kind of shock. In 1999/2000 it was one of those PC titles I was most looking forward to, and then suddenly Microsoft bought Bungie and the PC version was cancelled (until 2003). The previews looked amazing, especially graphics-wise. On the Xbox back in 2001, very little of those amazing (PC) visuals were surfacing. Granted, the gameplay was pretty great, obviously.
I dunno, the gfx were pretty sweet back when the Xbox first came out, still are actually to my eyes. It is the gameplay that makes Halo what it is though yeah.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:10 pm

this wil split the forum in twain
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:31 pm

C=Style wrote:
Kai wrote:I still haven't played HALO since I'm still in a kind of shock. In 1999/2000 it was one of those PC titles I was most looking forward to, and then suddenly Microsoft bought Bungie and the PC version was cancelled (until 2003). The previews looked amazing, especially graphics-wise. On the Xbox back in 2001, very little of those amazing (PC) visuals were surfacing. Granted, the gameplay was pretty great, obviously.
I dunno, the gfx were pretty sweet back when the Xbox first came out, still are actually to my eyes. It is the gameplay that makes Halo what it is though yeah.
It was the little details if anything that 'made' Halo for myself, sad as it sounds, your guns ammo counter counting down, shell casings falling to the floor (sounded great when you were stood on ice, with Dolby 5.1), smoke blowing in the breeze, rario aerials moving with the wind, sunlight coming through the trees etc.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:02 am

Having a rechargeable life bar (energy shield) and limited weaponset (two weapons only!) turned the First Person Shooter from a run-n'-gun style to a more tactical, thoughtful shooter. THAT deserves recognition for the outright brilliance it really is.

Little pockets of set-piece battles - rather than an endless wave of stuff to shoot - completes the deal. Love it, hate it, or simply just "Meh" it, Halo deserves its place in History.

You just need to separate the game from its' fanbase.

Halo and Halo fanbois are completely different entities, and should be judged as such. Don't let your (justifiable) hatred of one affect your perception of the other.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:07 am

Freestyler wrote:Having a rechargeable life bar (energy shield) and limited weaponset (two weapons only!) turned the First Person Shooter from a run-n'-gun style to a more tactical, thoughtful shooter. THAT deserves recognition for the outright brilliance it really is.

Little pockets of set-piece battles - rather than an endless wave of stuff to shoot - completes the deal. Love it, hate it, or simply just "Meh" it, Halo deserves its place in History.

You just need to separate the game from its' fanbase.

Halo and Halo fanbois are completely different entities, and should be judged as such. Don't let your (justifiable) hatred of one affect your perception of the other.
fair enough
but i care very little about the game it self or the series its overzealous fans not withstanding
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !