Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Are you looking forward to Halo

Yes, really enjoyed the original
43%
No, I don't really care for Halo
28%
Not fussed either way
30%

Total votes: 54

thevulture

Re: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition

Post by thevulture » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:33 am

Plan to get it, but doubt if it'll be day 1 purchase.Loved it 1st time around.Don't take my 360 online, so that aspect of the game lost on myself.

The HD make over will be nice, but i'll probably pick up a 2nd hand copy down the line at some point.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:42 am

Having spent countless hours plaing multi-player via System Link, I'm curious to see how it'll recapture the feel online...but I gather that the multiplayer is actually to be a Reach Add-On!? Still, if they can get the balance right it should be good....
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:54 am

A near decade old game that I didn't think was very good and was vastly overrated even when it was first released?

No thanks.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:58 am

love the first one like a brother but have played it so many times i'm in no hurry to go back.

voted yes and will pick it up but only when its in a sale next year!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:08 am

I thoroughly enjoyed the original Halo, after a couple of MP sessions at a mates house it was the reason I bought my first X-Box. Thing is, its more or less already had an update in Halo Reach.
I've played all the Halo games and in the main, if you've played one, you've played them all. I still think they are eminently playable games and this will perhaps offer value to someone who's not encountered the series before, but for everyone else it does feel like a bit of a rip off TBH.

I think in the case of older games then HD remakes with new engines are generally a good thing, you're under no obligation to buy, but having them available (particularly when some of the older 3D games from the PS1/N64 era are starting to look decidedly ropey nowadays) just adds another option for the consumer and allows newer gamers to experience some classic older titles on a contemporary machine with contemporary graphics. Halo though, still looks reasonable enough to play in its original incarnation and its regular updates with 2, 3 and most recently Reach means the series is already alive and well in the current gen so I don't think its old enough to justify the price and its sequels are already too close to the original for it to need a remake.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:37 am

FatTrucker wrote:I think in the case of older games then HD remakes with new engines are generally a good thing, you're under no obligation to buy, but having them available (particularly when some of the older 3D games from the PS1/N64 era are starting to look decidedly ropey nowadays) just adds another option for the consumer and allows newer gamers to experience some classic older titles on a contemporary machine with contemporary graphics.
Definitely agree with that, just because Halo isn't my cup of tea, I still think it should be available to play for those who do want to experience it, in much the same way as you can get hold of many older films really easily either on DVD or Blu Ray. In that respect, I welcome any remakes that come out. :)

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:53 am

i think i'll pick it up if it's cheap, for the simple reason that i loved the first one. many happy memories of playing through campaign mode with a mate, with beer and chicken wings... but above all else, i lost interest a bit in halo by the time 3 came out, and maybe going back to replay the original, but looking better, might actually make me play through the more recent ones too...

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:17 am

Played it... loved it, but no interest in playing it again on new hardware.

If I wanted to play it again (which I don't) I'd probably play the Xbox original again.

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:29 am

I've been toying with the idea of trying to clock all the Halo games (in order of release) on Legendary, might hold off until this is out to just to treat myself. I love me some Halo and seeing one of my favourite games of all time with a HD polish got me surprisingly excited considering I'm dead inside.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:32 am

ToxieDogg wrote:A near decade old game that I didn't think was very good and was vastly overrated even when it was first released?

No thanks.
Toxie, are you having a bad day? Is it the heat that's making you grumpy? (my labrador's exactly the same) :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:36 am

jdanddiet wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:A near decade old game that I didn't think was very good and was vastly overrated even when it was first released?

No thanks.
Toxie, are you having a bad day? Is it the heat that's making you grumpy? (my labrador's exactly the same) :wink:
I've got a pretty bad cold at the moment if that's what you mean, and I feel knackered and bunged up.

Other than that, Halo's just plain sh!t. :wink:

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm very interested. Not because I played the original but because I only started playing Halo games at Halo 3. I'm really looking forward to starting at the beginning. Hopefully there will be a Halo 2 update too.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:25 pm

No. The original is the most over-rated game I've ever played.

Have they fixed the baddies on the new version? You know, like take out the Nintendo monsters and put believable actual scary monsters in it that don't make childish noises?

Oh, and replace the miles of cut and paste areas and do some actual level design. That kind of thing.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:29 pm

According to a BBC News 24 report that I just fabricated; only unemployed virgins dislike Halo.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:29 pm

I'll be playing gears 3 and the new zelda this xmas, more than happy to sit it out and wait for halo 4.