Samba De amigo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

julytien

Samba De amigo

Post by julytien » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:49 pm

Biggest regret is not buying samba de amigo, for a hundred quid, just thought I wasnt going to pay a silly price like that when the console was all but dead, was hoping for the price to fall fairly drastically, especially when they had stacks of the boxes in hmv, though they didnt seem to have any in game

romanista

Post by romanista » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:20 am

i have my 3rd party marcas, i'm happy!
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:52 am

Being lucky enough to have the official UK version with maracas and a set of third party maracas, I can say that the 3rd party ones are not quite as good as the sega ones, but they do perform very well.

As for the game, it great fun to play and watch, but it doesn't half make your arms ache. :D

Sega Hedgehog

Post by Sega Hedgehog » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:36 pm

Yeah, I always regretted not buying Samba de Amigo when I noticed it in a store in town one day. Then again, I couldn't really do much about it at the time, I didn't have much money of my own and my Mum decided that 100 quid was far too much to pay for a game. =/

Luckily, I managed to pick up a copy from eBay a year or two ago, at last! I just went for a Japanese import eventually though, because the UK versions are still quite expensive, most of the time. The only problem was that there was no dance-mat with it, and I only got the third party maracas...

I really need to invest in the official maracas and dance-mat, someday.

GenkiVideoGames.com

Post by GenkiVideoGames.com » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:59 am

To be honest you might have to put up with your third party maracas as the supply of official ones seems to have dried up. I guess the Dreamcast is starting to enter an era like the Saturn where it's becoming increasingly collectable. If it's any small consolation £100 did seem alot - at the time. :? Mum's know best though eh?

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:15 am

GenkiVideoGames.com wrote:I guess the Dreamcast is starting to enter an era like the Saturn where it's becoming increasingly collectable.
Only for very specific items, though. I recently sold some Dreamcast stuff on eBay, and the majority of it sold for peanuts.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

GenkiVideoGames.com

Post by GenkiVideoGames.com » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:20 am

Very true, but I'm sure that was the way the Saturn went at first. I wouldn't go as far to say every Saturn title was worth a good some of cash, even now. But certain titles started to dry up and this seemed to snowball, like we are seeing with the DC.

The Penultimate Ninja

Re:

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:54 am

GenkiVideoGames.com wrote:Very true, but I'm sure that was the way the Saturn went at first. I wouldn't go as far to say every Saturn title was worth a good some of cash, even now. But certain titles started to dry up and this seemed to snowball, like we are seeing with the DC.

It will get that way I suppose, although most games are still really cheap.

Apart from the obvious one for the Saturn - Raidant Sivergun, which seems to fetch £80 a pop on ebay
I can think of:
Panzer Dragoon Saga(cost me about £70) ,
Dragon Force (I paid £40),
and Samba on Dreamcast

The next bracket is for stuff like:
Nights into dreams + controller,
burning rangers,
Shining the holy ark/shining wisdom
Guardian Heroes
D
D2
Vampire Chronicles for matching service, etc
£20 - £30 on average.

Is there much more that's collectable?

GenkiVideoGames.com

Post by GenkiVideoGames.com » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:20 pm

I would say so, though you identified some tasty morsels already. :) I guess it depends on how import orientated you are. If you take your lead from trends in the Japanese market that eventually filter through to the West (at least for imported titles) then you could add:
Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru, (Due to the low print run)
Dungeons and Dragons,
Phantasy Star Collection,
Princess Crown,
and Stellar Assault to the Saturn list.
When it comes to gams drying up in Japan it would seem there are:
Bakuretsu Bangaio,
Space Channel 5 Part 2,
Any of the Matching Services, as you mentioned (as they were only available from Sega Direct.),
Cleopatra Fortune,
Boarder Down.
Seem to be becoming scarce as more and more find their way into collections.

Smegaman

Re:

Post by Smegaman » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:44 pm

GenkiVideoGames.com wrote:To be honest you might have to put up with your third party maracas as the supply of official ones seems to have dried up. I guess the Dreamcast is starting to enter an era like the Saturn where it's becoming increasingly collectable. If it's any small consolation £100 did seem alot - at the time. :? Mum's know best though eh?
If anything Dreamcast software seems to be doing nothing but dropping in value, I feel silly for paying £40 for games like MSR and Jet Set Radio back when they first came out at times, but then I remember the awesome times I had an still have with them so it doesn't bother me too much.

If it's any consolation I forked out £200 on Samba De Amigo, £100 on a Japanese set initially but then when I decided to get a complete PAL DC set I ended up forking out another £100 on the PAL box set, still it does mean I get to play this awesome game in 2 player so I'm not gonna complain.

If you know anyone in Japan though, you could try seeing if they can pick you up any maracas, they seem to fetch peanuts over there (even official ones) I've heard of people getting mint sets for as little as a tenner.

GenkiVideoGames.com

Post by GenkiVideoGames.com » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:00 pm

I'm not saying universally the DC has gone up in value, nor all titles. But our man in Japan increasingly reports the upward trend reflected in both second hand game shop prices and in their ever expanding buy back lists for the DC. Alot of these are saucy, steamy titles that never got passed customs. But there are more than those listed above so we hope Retro starts to cover the system more and uncover a few undiscovered gems. :)
I'd buy any Japanese official DC maracas going for peanuts straight away. Hell, I'd even pay in cashews. Those people must know some cracking shops (or are they just too cramped to display them? :D )

nwosteve

samba de amigos

Post by nwosteve » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:19 pm

hi all i bought one of these from an old mate who was clearing out some old stuff for 10 QUID! I know what u r thinking i ripped him off but, dont worry, he gotta decent drink outta me!

James A

Post by James A » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:37 pm

I've started building up my DC collection in the last couple of months. UK wise the games aren't that expensive but the ones that seem to be rising in value are.

Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Grandia 2
Streetfighter 3 3rd Strike
Shenmue 2
Rez

I've managed to get most of these for under a tenner in very good condition. The Streetfighter games though does go for quite a bit on ebay, but the funny things is you can normally get it for under a tenner in any half decent computer shop.

kavsy

Post by kavsy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:53 pm

Thers acouple of DC games coming out in Feb ang March,Under Defeat and Radrigy,both shmups.

The Penultimate Ninja

Re:

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:00 pm

James A wrote:I've started building up my DC collection in the last couple of months. UK wise the games aren't that expensive but the ones that seem to be rising in value are.

Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Grandia 2
Streetfighter 3 3rd Strike
Shenmue 2
Rez

I've managed to get most of these for under a tenner in very good condition. The Streetfighter games though does go for quite a bit on ebay, but the funny things is you can normally get it for under a tenner in any half decent computer shop.
Those are all great games, and Rez and Shenmue 2 are quite popular on ebay with US gamers especially. I don't know if they came out there.

I'm tempted to start buying more for the DC again, although I already have about 35 titles. Gamestation are currently doing BOGOF on all retro titles under 9.99.