SONIC GENERATIONS - Demo up on XBLA. A Quick run down

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

scorpionatthepc

Re: SONIC GENERATIONS - Demo up on XBLA. A Quick run down

Post by scorpionatthepc » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:43 pm

ChipTune wrote:Played it again.. I want to like it, I do.. but it hurts my eyes.. I cant see what the hell is happening.. the enemies are big and weird looking too.. but its the inability to see whats happening that completely kills it for me.. if the background kept reasonably still, and didnt look EXACTLY like the foreground, then this would help matters.
Same here. Goes quite blurry when your running making it hard to concentrate on whats going on. Like the 2d though

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:56 pm

I just played the demo on my PS3 and bloody well loved it! The remixed music was particularly great I thought. I'd ideally have preferred it if the viewpoint was a little zoomed out and I hope the frame rate issues are remedied for the final release. In summary, I was a lot more impressed than I thought I'd be. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:00 pm

Went to try demo.on 360-ahhh, GOLD members only then....As for Downloading it on PS3...erm, i think not based on comments here.

Be a case of download taking an age and demo.not being worth it.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:08 pm

thevulture wrote:Went to try demo.on 360-ahhh, GOLD members only then....As for Downloading it on PS3...erm, i think not based on comments here.
I'd say give it a go. Some folk posting in this thread evidently have no idea what the point of this game is supposed to be about and have slated it unfairly - in some cases ridiculously so, imho.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:32 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
thevulture wrote:Went to try demo.on 360-ahhh, GOLD members only then....As for Downloading it on PS3...erm, i think not based on comments here.
I'd say give it a go. Some folk posting in this thread evidently have no idea what the point of this game is supposed to be about and have slated it unfairly - in some cases ridiculously so, imho.
I sense a fight coming!

Anyway, ill have to download this when i get back from work. Thing is, i dont have particularly high expectations of Sonic in the first place so i never find myself particularly dissapointed and certainly never part of the "Sega keep censored it up every time" bandwagon. Fortunately for me, ive never held the MD originals on some pedastal that cant be reached.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:39 pm

Of course a modern Sonic game isn't as good as an old one, it's the retro gamer law.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Well finally had a proper go on the demo and I found it pretty fun. It has lovely visuals, until it starts to move. The frame rate is shocking, it is miles to fast not to be running at 60fps. Overall sonic controls nicely enough.

Pretty fun. It wont be smooth enough though.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:18 pm

nakamura wrote:Overall sonic controls nicely enough.
Agreed. I was dreading it'd have the Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Ep.I physics so thank heavens it doesn't!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:27 pm

The 3d mode is why it runs like crap though. It is so it has consistant rate in both modes. 3D is going to be a killer if it becomes the norm in the next generation.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:36 pm

I've given the demo a few tries and I like what I've played so far. It took my eyes a minute to adjust to the slight blur when your moving at fast speeds but other than that it looks great, not noticed any frame rate problems what so ever either which is nice. The level is fun to blast through, its nice to see they've retained the multiple different routes you can take through the level, its great fun exploring each to shave a few seconds off my fastest time. Overall I quite like it so far, I'm looking forward to playing more of it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:48 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
I would say you have to be very brave to download anything from Sony these days :lol:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:57 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:I would say you have to be very brave to download anything from Sony these days :lol:
You'll likely be amused to learn that before said game could be downloaded us poor PS3 owners needed to download and install yet another bloomin' firmware update. Grrrrrr! :lol:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:06 pm

nakamura wrote:The 3d mode is why it runs like crap though. It is so it has consistant rate in both modes. 3D is going to be a killer if it becomes the norm in the next generation.
You sure that's the reason? Usually they drop resolution to help sustain 3D, but you may be right in this case as this game in standard mode is rendering at such a low resolution to start with I can't imagine it dropping much lower.

I've played through it a few times now and yeah, I don't like it. There's plenty of time for improvement though!

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:08 pm

Mine is stuck at 30% downloaded.

So is it just one level then?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Sir Hilary Bray wrote:Mine is stuck at 30% downloaded.

So is it just one level then?
Yep - Green Hill Zone. :D