SONIC GENERATIONS - Demo up on XBLA. A Quick run down

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ChipTune

SONIC GENERATIONS - Demo up on XBLA. A Quick run down

Post by ChipTune » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:15 am

Ok so just logged into XBLA and spotted a demo for sonic generations.. cool! So downloaded it immediately. I know I have mentioned my dislike for Sonic games, but I have given them a whirl over the last month or so I it brought back some fond memories (we are talking the first 3 on MD, the post 90's ones are dreadul)

So I was looking forward to this, hoping they could do a better job than the deeply flawed and broken Episode 1 that we were 'treated' to on XBLA and other download services.

Well I played this through the first level (as thats all you get) and I do like it... The speed and feel of the game are all spot-on.. no more fudgy physics of the episode 1 game, no more of that locking on and zooming in nonsense also in episode 1 that they took from the 3d sonic games.. Instead we are back to basics.. Sonic looks good, the backgrounds are good, and the speed is excellent. The Music is a rehash of the same tune from level 1 of the MD game. So those are the good points..

However.. there is so much background detail that when you are running it feels uncomfortable on the eyes, like you cannot see exactly what is going on due to all the colours and level of detail. So it does detract from the enjoyment slightly.

The main criticism here, and it is a major one.. is .. what exactly is the 'point' of this game?

It has been done before on MD, it is essentially the same thing with a fresh coat of paint.. but offering nothing new.. for this experience you can just play the MD version on the old hardware or on any of the multitude of compilations out there.. That one is much easier to play due to the simplicity of the graphics, whereas this version has everything cranked up too high and makes things hard to distinguish (and I am playing it on a nice, large, clear screen in HD). So I actually prefer the original purely based on that.

It is good yes, but Im not sure it is a game that warrants existing..

This is a demo of an unfinished product after all so maybe if they tweak the graphics to make it less like an intense cartoon vomiting in your eyes at 100 miles an hour and lets you easily see whats going on, then it will be great. Although anyone who has played the original isnt getting anything radical here, just the same old game with a fresh lick of paint.

I think Sega are really flogging a dead horse here and really should make an effort and create some new material instead of whoring out the same stuff over and over for the rest of eternity.

For younger players who havent played the original Im sure they will enjoy it.. For us older people or those who have played the original, there really is nothing new here. It kind of insulting to think that companies like Sega think they can just repackage a game with new graphics and we will lap it up, sitting there gurgling and drooling like brain damaged chimpanzees on esctasy just because we can relive an old game, and one we probably own several different copies of) in HD.

Eufeion

Re: SONIC GENERATIONS - Demo up on XBLA. A Quick run down

Post by Eufeion » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:00 am

Its great - I love it! Sega Finally listened!

If you don't own a 360 or PS3

here my play through demo >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3p2k6ppCRc
Check Out My Video Games Channel - Love 4 Games UK - http://www.youtube.com/love4gamesuk
(Please Subscribe - New Vids Coming Soon)

Gaming will be my first love & it will be my last.......

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 am

OK I just played the demo myself and tbh I'm not liking it. From everything I'd seen at this years E3 on the game it looked great in the videos. As I understand it this is a demo of one of the levels taken from the 2D segment of the game, as I think this game has two modes, a 3D and 2D modes, or classic/modern Sonic if you will.

The framerate was shocking tbh, it can't of been above 20 fp/s (sonic games should be fast AND smooth) and I didn't particularly like the way it felt and the level design is a mess. It's just basic Sonic done a million times over as you say. But there we go, all the whiners moan about muddying the waters whenever the developers try to introduce a new gameplay feature that's remotely interesting to this 20 year old concept and because of that we a left with this basic, stripped away game mode which appears to be desperately trying to capture the feel of the original game and....it fails miserably. I'm personally a fan of the enemy lock-on mode and especially the extra powers that Colours brought to the table. I think the 3D mode includes the lock-on ability which will be nice but I don't like what I've played of this 2D mode. Sonic 4 Ep1 plays significantly smoother and better than this imho.

Also why do I only have 19 days left of the demo, do they really think I'm going to be playing it until then or something lol. I love Sonic games but this is a bit disappointing for me, hopefully the modern mode will make up for it.

IMO Sonic Team should of just taken the Sonic Colours idea and kept running with it instead of looking backwards to try and appease the fans. I don't see how a level designed for "Modern" Sonic with homing attacks can also accommodate a "Classic" Sonic that doesn't use them, hence the messy level design.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:15 am

Which version of the demo are you playing C=Style? PS3 or 360? As I've read that the PS3 version has serious framerate problems while the 360 one is supposed to be smoother. I haven't had a chance to try it as I'm stuck at work but I'll give it a go once I get home.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:19 am

Lol, I'm playing the 360 version.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:22 am

C=Style thinking the Wii's sonic game is better than the demo, call the presses :lol:

Downloading now, the mere fact I can play as classic sonic makes it A-OK in my book :)

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:28 am

I thought this wasn't due out will the end of the year? Bit soon for a demo. I know it is sonics 20th and all but you don't want to scare off buyers.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:41 am

Rayne wrote:C=Style thinking the Wii's sonic game is better than the demo, call the presses :lol:

Downloading now, the mere fact I can play as classic sonic makes it A-OK in my book :)
Of course, my opinion is pure fanboy bias and not how I really feel at all. Secretly I much prefer it to Sonic Colours so far and didn't want to let that slip as I'm trying to push an agenda here you know! :wink:

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:45 am

C=Style wrote:
Rayne wrote:C=Style thinking the Wii's sonic game is better than the demo, call the presses :lol:

Of course, my opinion is pure fanboy bias and not how I really feel at all. Secretly I much prefer it to Sonic Colours so far and didn't want to let that slip as I'm trying to push an agenda here you know! :wink:
:lol: well there we go, I was right all along

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:52 am

Rayne wrote: :lol: well there we go, I was right all along
:D Hope you enjoy it.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:34 pm

Played it again.. I want to like it, I do.. but it hurts my eyes.. I cant see what the hell is happening.. the enemies are big and weird looking too.. but its the inability to see whats happening that completely kills it for me.. if the background kept reasonably still, and didnt look EXACTLY like the foreground, then this would help matters.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:22 pm

ChipTune wrote:Played it again.. I want to like it, I do.. but it hurts my eyes.. I cant see what the hell is happening.. the enemies are big and weird looking too.. but its the inability to see whats happening that completely kills it for me.. if the background kept reasonably still, and didnt look EXACTLY like the foreground, then this would help matters.
To be fair you can't see a lot of what's happening/coming on the MD Sonics, we've all just played them so much we know what's coming.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:26 pm

I know it is just a demo but I am not surprised it turned out like this. And people managed to get hyped for it AGAIN!

Sonic is dead as a series and pretty much has been for years. They may be the old solid titles but most of them pale compared to the 16 bit days.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:27 pm

sscott wrote:
ChipTune wrote:Played it again.. I want to like it, I do.. but it hurts my eyes.. I cant see what the hell is happening.. the enemies are big and weird looking too.. but its the inability to see whats happening that completely kills it for me.. if the background kept reasonably still, and didnt look EXACTLY like the foreground, then this would help matters.
To be fair you can't see a lot of what's happening/coming on the MD Sonics, we've all just played them so much we know what's coming.
When I beat sonic 1 I found that a lot of the later zones were built so that if you didn't stop and think then you would die.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:40 pm

This looks a million times better.

Classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIau-_VQ ... dded#at=26

New
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU3oFpF1 ... r_embedded

Though I have to say, the newer titles has such censored design compared to the old one. It seems like they want to cram in as many 'exciting' moments as the possibly can. There are moments when Sonic goes into the background and it just reminded me of DKC Returns and how an incredible update of a classic game that is and how Sega manage to screw up Sonic time and time again.

Why can't a new Sonic be about platforming? Why does it have to be super cool skating on rails and climbing walls? Why can it just not be about platforming with some exciting bits thrown in? It just all looks, and feels so on rails.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)