Favourite 3D Sonic Game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Roo

Favourite 3D Sonic Game?

Post by Roo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:45 am

Yes. Rather than just run the done-to-death 'Favourite Sonic Game' topic by you again, I'll make you choose from the one's that nobody really likes. Or so they say, anyway.
~

Actually, to be fair, I enjoy more of Sonic's 3D adventures than not. They're far from perfect, but I'd recommend the two Sonic Adventure games to any platforming fan. Also, the daytime sections of Sonic Unleashed show some real promise for the future - if the 3D component of Generations plays like those when we're in for a treat - and were it not for the silly gimmick Wisps I'd say Sonic Colours is one of the best games on the Wii.

Anyhoo, what's your favourite 3D Sonic game? Do you even have one?

c0nfu53d

Re: Favourite 3D Sonic Game?

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:53 am

Can't stand the 2D sonic games. Loved the 3D ones - my fav being Heroes. Gotta love the voice overs too (for the most part).

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:54 am

Sonic Adventure 2 on the Gamecube & Sonic Colours on the Wii
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:04 am

the_hawk wrote:Sonic Adventure 2 on the Gamecube & Sonic Colours on the Wii
Overall SA2 was pretty decent, though I could have done without the exploration/shootem up levels. Sonic and Shadow's levels were by far the most fun.

Sonic Colours on the Wii is my favourite, I didn't mind most of the wisps but they probably weren't needed. The level design was excellent, reminded me very much of a Sonic take on Mario Galaxy, which turned out very well.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:09 am

Sonic colours is by far the best 3D sonic game to date, followed by Sonic adventure 2.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:23 am

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is by far the best 3D Sonic game imo. Heroes was pretty good as well, assuming you could look past the various glitches

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:34 am

Favourite 3D Sonic game is easily Colours, it pretty much got the formula right; good mix between 3D and 2D gameplay, nice variety of stages, gorgeous visuals and tight gameplay. Plus the added powers from the wisps really gave you something to bite into. Sonic Adventure was my previous favourite and it is the similar mix of varied gameplay types, bright and colourful stages that I find so appealing.

I liked Sonic Adventure 2 on Dreamcast but going back to it these days especially on the GC is a bit of an eye opener for me, the City Escape level will always be a classic as will Metal Harbor and a few others but I did not like Knuckles/Rouge/Robotnik/Tails levels at all, which means a good 3/4 of the game is pants for me. I did like the mini-games though and Green Hill Zone in 3D for all 180 emblems (I cheated to see it).

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:42 am

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, purely on the Chao Garden sidegame.

Also, a shout for Sonic 3D. Everyone seems to overlook it but i think its brilliant. Some complain about the lack of speed, but i always played the older ones relatively slowly anyway.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:25 pm

C=Style wrote:Green Hill Zone in 3D for all 180 emblems (I cheated to see it).
Iv never played that bonus stage in SA2, i never even knew it existed till last year when i just happend to come across a youtube video of it by chance :o

Whats the best way to get to play it without getting all the emblems?

Anyway back on topic, SA1 on the Dreamcast for me, followed closely by Colours on the Wii
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:02 pm

I sold my Dreamcast during the week and tested both Sonics on it beforehand. I remember years ago thinking that SA2 was better, but playing them again, gotta say I had more fun with the original.

I got Sonic Colours for Christmas but didn't really get into it. I loved Sonic Unleashed but acknowledge that it's not perfect (on the other hand, the term "day stage" now means something, so that's a good sign, right?). I thought Sonic Heroes was awful, and Sonic 2006 is the absolute low bar.

Didn't play Secret Rings or Black Knight.

Are there any others? I don't really count Sonic 3D because my brain files it alongside the other Megadrive games.

Of the ones I've mentioned, it's close between Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Unleashed but I'll give it to the Dreamcast game.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Dunjohn - that's interesting. See imo, Unleashed was terrible. The day stages were way too quick and only accounted for about 30% of the game. Whereas Heroes was at least always about running

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Sonic Colours (Wii), even though some of it is in "2.5D".
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:28 pm

Sonic Adventure, I'm looking now at the unopened Sonic Colours next to my Wii so will have to play that tonight.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:10 pm

Sonic Colours, with Sonic Unleashed following very closely on its heels. Both absolutely fantastic.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:13 pm

sonic adventure and sonic R
never liked sonic adventure 2 and sonic heroes is just horrible
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !