Konami's Violent Storm and Vendetta

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shinobi

Konami's Violent Storm and Vendetta

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Has anybody played/heard of these? Scrolling beat em ups are my favourite Genre,and these are probally two of my favourite games ever.. Well most people say only Capcom can do scrolling beat em ups properly(or only heard of Turtles/Simpsons)..

Vendetta I used to play daily in my local arcade and could almost 1cc it.. Play and completed it with my Girlfriend on a original 4 player cab down Porthcawl a year back.. After beating 'Faust' (last boss) the game force's you to fight all the sub bosses/Bosses two at a time was a bit cheap.. Loads of moves and unique touches being able to stamp on the baddies hands when they hanging of the bridge, hit people on the floor, grab the female enemies.. And use Shotguns and bags of flour as weapons.. Lot of varity for a scrolling beat em up such as dodging falling signs and fat Men on the Evelvator, to fighting dogs and divers in the habour..

Violent Storm is just mental and a description can't do it justice using Pigs as baseballs, and a body building statue that comes to life.. The rap music is awesome..

Shame neither where converted to any format or never released on a complilation.. A missed oppurtunity Konami never converted them to live arcade
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Mighty_Zol

Re: Konami's Violent Storm and Vendetta

Post by Mighty_Zol » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:48 am

Vendetta wasnt in the arcades near me, but I played it quite a lot over a couple of holidays, I thought it was alright at the time, but I can appreciate it more now, and think it's quite underrated. As you say the number of unique moves and background interractions is quite immense - I can't think of another scrolling beatemup that comes close in that regard. Sticking a bucket on someone's head and punching them while they wander round blindly is probably my favorite. And for weird Japaneseness, the leather daddys who attack by dry humping certainly knock Final Fight's 'foxy girls who maybe might not entirely be girls after all' into a cocked hat.

The fighting mechanic is very good as well, closer to that in Renegade or Double Dragon where you pummel enemies until they are stunned before going into grapple attacks, as well as being able to stomp floored baddies. IMO it's all a bit more sophisticated (possibly not the right word) than what you see in the Capcom beatemups.

I'm impressed you could come close to 1cc'ing it though, my biggest criticism of Vendetta is that I always felt it was a bit of a coin muncher, with some seriously cheapshot bosses. It's possible that I'm still a bit crap at it though.

I've never seen Violent Storm in a real arcade machine, but I've played it a bit in MAME since, like you say its even madder than Vendetta. The original Crime Fighters isn't bad either, very similar to Vendetta, just with lower res graphics, but still very good for its time.

I don't know why the series never made the port across to home consoles, perhaps Konami weren't so good at promoting it in the arcades, or the the memory needed for number of sprite animations would have made the cartridge too expensive. It's a shame that such an impressive game has faded into obscurity compared to some other more mediocre beatemups.

Kudos for getting the gf to play through it with you - mine generally looks on disapprovingly when I discover an old arcade cab. I've gradually gotten her into playing Final Fight on the PS3, so that's a start.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:03 am

I've played Vendetta and the first game of the Trilogy Crime Busters on arcade machines, but not Violent Storm, for years it was on my PCB want list, but prices for it have slowly crept up, its certainly meant to be the best of the 3. I did like one of the charachters in Vendetta as he looked a bit Hulk Hogan(ish). I am suprised they never got a release on the Snes/Megadrive, but then so many games didn't of that era, mainly due to publishing rights I guess. Think Simpsons Arcade, Punisher by Capcom etc.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:20 am

I used to like Shadow Warriors more than both of these - similar but swinging on lamposts was awesome :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:42 am

I loved Violent Storm so much I wound up picking up a PCB of it to play on my Supergun. In my eyes its Konami's take on Final Fight only crazier! I love the huge sprites, weird bosses and the awesome Konami soundtrack and still give it a run through every couple of months for fun. The difficulty feels is pretty decent for a scrolling fighter as well - apart from the last couple of bosses (the statue and the final boss).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

thelatestmodel

Post by thelatestmodel » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:51 am

Vendetta is an awesome game - right up there among the best beat em ups ever.

The pacing is spot on, you're never stuck in one place for too long, and the combat is nice and meaty. The THWACK you get from hitting punks with a bat never gets old.

I agree with Mighty_Zol about some of the bosses being a bit cheap - the "Missing Link", for example, has your standard "get out" move (also seen in TMNT, The Simpsons, Streets of Rage etc) that instantly sends everyone near him flying. That kind of thing does annoy me somewhat as you've little to no hope of avoiding it completely. My game usually ends around that point - I'll either get to him and die, or barely make it through and die just after!

Having said all that, it appears that there are ways of getting through it unscathed - you just have to know the bosses and be ridiculously good at the game: All bosses, no damage (YouTube)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:53 am

The local covered indoor market where I used to buy my import games from in the early 90s usually had a cab or two on their plot, and Vendetta was one of the games that appeared, so my brother and I played it quite a bit. Rather enjoyed it from what I recall, should really fire it up in MAME and see if I still like it.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:02 am

Vendetta is my favourite scrolling beat-em up. Absolutely chock full of humour and invention. If you want to see it in its uncensored form, play the Asian rom in Mame, it replaces the dogs with the original gentlemen of the night in leather hats among other minor changes made to the western versions.
thelatestmodel wrote: I agree with Mighty_Zol about some of the bosses being a bit cheap - the "Missing Link", for example, has your standard "get out" move (also seen in TMNT, The Simpsons, Streets of Rage etc) that instantly sends everyone near him flying. That kind of thing does annoy me somewhat as you've little to no hope of avoiding it completely. My game usually ends around that point - I'll either get to him and die, or barely make it through and die just after!
Missing Link is easy. You can always see his shadow so when he does his high jump/slam move you can just move out of the way. The only really cheap boss in the game is the final one, the rest all have weaknesses to be exploited and fairly easy patterns to work out.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:13 am

Great great games, especially Vendetta! Very fun to play and extremely violent which is what we like. Nothing will beat these old arcade 2D beat 'em up of the 1980's.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:28 am

I recently wrote a review of Vendetta:

http://retrofishsta.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... detta.html

I remember the Carousel Amusements in Newquay had one on their "10p a play" floor (the upstairs bit they've since got rid of), so I played this extensively. The Blue Oyster Boys weren't supposed to be in the British machines, but I DISTINCTLY remember seeing them for the first time in the vicinity of my dad, who was a little surprised to see such sexual content in a public arcade.

I'm sure the game was set to the hardest difficulty level, though. I wasn't bad at games as a youngster, but struggled on that... playing it since then it was a HELL of a lot easier.
ImageImage

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:52 am

Fishsta wrote:I recently wrote a review of Vendetta:

I remember the Carousel Amusements in Newquay had one on their "10p a play" floor (the upstairs bit they've since got rid of), so I played this extensively. The Blue Oyster Boys weren't supposed to be in the British machines, but I DISTINCTLY remember seeing them for the first time in the vicinity of my dad, who was a little surprised to see such sexual content in a public arcade.

I'm sure the game was set to the hardest difficulty level, though. I wasn't bad at games as a youngster, but struggled on that... playing it since then it was a HELL of a lot easier.
I wonder if there is an undumped early EU release that has the original content. I first played Vendetta at our local swimming pool as a teenager and that also had the original sprites rather than the dogs.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:31 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
Fishsta wrote:I recently wrote a review of Vendetta:

I wonder if there is an undumped early EU release that has the original content. I first played Vendetta at our local swimming pool as a teenager and that also had the original sprites rather than the dogs.
I've been playing the Asian version in Mame which had Village People lookalikes wearing leather trousers and leather hats(they got behind you and ahem rogered you), and some large Women in leather Leotards and Knee high boots, and a flasher in a Surgical mask and a Raincoat.. I imagine these would be taken out of the Europe release.. I'm sure the main four characters had different names.. The girlfriend was quite shocked with the Gay Men as she called them:)

The pimp(the one with shotgun under his Mac and his dogs where only on the UK version then?
Last edited by Shinobi on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Mighty_Zol wrote:I'm impressed you could come close to 1cc'ing it though, my biggest criticism of Vendetta is that I always felt it was a bit of a coin muncher, with some seriously cheapshot bosses. It's possible that I'm still a bit crap at it though.

I've never seen Violent Storm in a real arcade machine, but I've played it a bit in MAME since, like you say its even madder than Vendetta. The original Crime Fighters isn't bad either, very similar to Vendetta, just with lower res graphics, but still very good for its time.

I don't know why the series never made the port across to home consoles, perhaps Konami weren't so good at promoting it in the arcades, or the the memory needed for number of sprite animations would have made the cartridge too expensive. It's a shame that such an impressive game has faded into obscurity compared to some other more mediocre beatemups.

Kudos for getting the gf to play through it with you - mine generally looks on disapprovingly when I discover an old arcade cab. I've gradually gotten her into playing Final Fight on the PS3, so that's a start.
I was unemployed at the time and it was 20p a go and used to spend every day in town playing that and Alien.. I got a job working for the Hospital and they took all the Jamma's out and replaced it with exerghiz and Shock Troopers:(

What the girlfriend did on the 'Missing Link' was throw the box with the Chicken off screen, when your fighting the 2 x chain punks.. When you fight the missing link you have a full energy, she did it by accident but is a good tactic's.. He can also be hit out of his Jump..

The third bosses also has 2 x hidden boxes, Chicken and Milk, I didn't realise but the Dwarf can be killed.. I always thought 'Boss Faustt was cheap, when you floor him and he crawls into the corner, his machine gun seems impossible to dodge..

She will only play Vendetta and House of the Dead 3, she normally likes the 2p Fountains..

I'm certain the Vendetta Cabinets still in Porthcawl

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Love Violent Storm :) . Much better than Final Fight in my opinion. The gameplay is brilliant, the music cool and the enemies crazy.

Shame that we can only play it on MAME :( . It's not something that ever appears on Konami compilations or re-releases.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:02 pm

I first played Violent Storm at the local fairground back in the mid 90s. Really like this one and was impressed by its solid gameplay and huge sprites within the graphics. Shame that it didn't got ported on any home consoles and it should be included in future compilations.