What game has actually taught you something?....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DreamcastRIP

Re: What game has actually taught you something?....

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:25 pm

The Super Mario series: Don't fall for a woman's charms too much or else you'll spend the next 25 torturous years repeatedly rescuing her from the same damn problem while having your bank account emptied in the process. :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:41 pm

mario party : it taught me to reach for the off switch very fast and to never buy a mario party again
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:28 am

Baku Baku taught me what food animals like! :lol:

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:54 am

Metal Gear Solid 4 taught me that life is too short...

...to sit through long, tedious and meaningless cutscenes, or to play games that comprise of crawling on one's belly from start to finish.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 am

che_don_john wrote:Metal Gear Solid 4 taught me that life is too short...

...to sit through long, tedious and meaningless cutscenes, or to play games that comprise of crawling on one's belly from start to finish.
i came to that conclusion after playing metal gear solid 2
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Petran79

Post by Petran79 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:34 am

Virtual pool 3: no need to be ridiculed at the pub in front of people by playing pool. Just be ridiculed by the AI in front of the pc.

Virtua tennis 2: i liked watching serve-and-volley players on tv and this game made me understand why they are the best to watch and play.

Super Ef2000: game has an amazing manual that had the fighter jets of nato and russia and also the history of the eurofighter. Game was ultra difficult though but the attention to detail is amazing even by todays standards

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:38 am

COD:MW2 - that age certificates for games don't mean sh*t to shops or parents.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:47 am

not my own but a cool list of things we learned from rpg's

http://www.theotaku.com/fanwords/view/1 ... taught_me/
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:01 am

Pirates! taught me the geography of the Caribbean. I played that game so much that that map is ingrained in my mind. It is only the major cities but hey.

tmc

Post by tmc » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks for the replies, but rather than the 'funny' quips, I was more looking for examples of where games have taught you something academic, actually educated you about some area more then a teacher could possibly have done.

Maybe this was due to the high immersion and production values in a game that 'took' you to that period in time or a manual that was basically a text book, or maybe a game that taught you something more practical, driving physics, world eco systems etc.

So rather then the lighthearted jokes I thought it'd be really interesting to think about the good of games as a kind of subliminal learning tool, ie. how much have we learnt by playing without even knowing it?....

back to you....

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:11 am

i learnt about greek myths and legends (and in fact the islands) from aegean voyage on the c64, before learning about it again in school. not sure there was much else though!

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:07 am

tmc wrote:Thanks for the replies, but rather than the 'funny' quips, I was more looking for examples of where games have taught you something academic, actually educated you about some area more then a teacher could possibly have done.

Maybe this was due to the high immersion and production values in a game that 'took' you to that period in time or a manual that was basically a text book, or maybe a game that taught you something more practical, driving physics, world eco systems etc.

So rather then the lighthearted jokes I thought it'd be really interesting to think about the good of games as a kind of subliminal learning tool, ie. how much have we learnt by playing without even knowing it?....

back to you....
So, you want us to be SERIOUS?!?!? Ok - will have a think :)
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:17 am

Fun School 3 on the Spectrum taught me that educational games are rubbish & I should stick to Ocean's coin-op conversions.

Edit, whoops, I just noticed tmc's post, sorry teach! :shock:
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 am

tmc wrote:Thanks for the replies, but rather than the 'funny' quips, I was more looking for examples of where games have taught you something academic, actually educated you about some area more then a teacher could possibly have done.

back to you....
A lot of the replies were serious.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Mozza

Post by Mozza » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:21 am

Sim City taught me the perspective of Government, and got me interested in politics.

I learned the rules of sports like tennis and golf from two Gameboy games. I might even have learnt the rules for football from a Fifa Game.

Echo the Dolphin comprehensively taught me to swim.
http://lee-morris.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... yprus.html - Some interesting stuff about Safe-houses in Resident Evil 4, Gameboy game trading, Emo fringes, parallel worlds in the Zelda series, prisons in games, gaming statistics.