What game has actually taught you something?....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

tmc

What game has actually taught you something?....

Post by tmc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Always looking to look on the brighter side of videogames, sure we all play them for fun, but which game has actually taught you the most?

Putting aside the obvious brain training games, here are some other examples...

Did Civ 4 teach you more about history then your teacher ever did?

Did Gran Turismo teach you about driving lines, turning into a skid and aerodynamics before you ever sat behind a wheel?

Did political sims teach you to look differently on a world crisis next time you picked up a newspaper?

Did Sim city make you smile the next time your council tax bill dropped on the mat?

Has Call of Duty given you a better appreciation of current conflicts through a soldiers eyes?

For me, i've learnt so much knowledge through videogames over the years, i'll never forget playing the original Medal of Honour on the PSX whilst we we're learning it at school, it emersed me so much in the conflict and was such a supliment to the lessons in school that I actually sat up and took more notice through those lessons - to this day I still remember WW2's 'big bertha'.

It's great to play a game and think you're actually learning something, even if it's in a somewhat abstract form, I'd love it if modern teaching techniques would employ gaming more for some aspects or projects, imagine playing Capitalism 2 with the class through a term at school, Hearts of iron campaigns together in history class - I honestly think that played and learnt together this would teach and engage more then most teaching methods do today?

Just some random thought today - whats your thought on all the above, have games taught you anything usefull at all?

HalcyonDaze00

Re: What game has actually taught you something the most...

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:08 pm

I've spotted loads of top young players on CM/FM (the ones by SI Games) long before any of these so called world class managers were paying 20m+ for them......... :wink:

ncf1

Re: What game has actually taught you something?....

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:24 pm

This is a really good question actually.. i have thought about this at times but never really meditated on it.

One thing I know for certain is that after I play games like Dirt 3, I drive just that little bit crazier on the street afterwards. That actually is not a joke. Games these days are so incredibly immersive they do affect the outside world a lot more, I have realised. You have more heightened state of awareness than before, but actually I must say, with the games I play anyway, it seems overall to be detrimental to the nerves. But then again I would say with certainty that this is due to choice of game; when I was playing more adventures, Sim City etc, perhaps it would be the opposite. But besides the nerves bit, the brain I think becomes sharper by default and, well, I think I will ponder this some more, it's a really interesting topic.

paranoid marvin

Re: What game has actually taught you something the most...

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:27 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:I've spotted loads of top young players on CM/FM (the ones by SI Games) long before any of these so called world class managers were paying 20m+ for them......... :wink:

Actually that's interesting because back in the day when I was a CM addict , I would play older versions of the game , and snap up all the young megastars before they became famous. It's amazing how many of them turned out to be just as successful as their real-life counterparts and a real testament to the accuracy of the game.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:33 pm

GTA - Don't steal a bike and fire a machine gun at police officers else you'll get in all sorts of $h1t!

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Final Fantasy VII. Try before you buy.

skooldaze_eric

Post by skooldaze_eric » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:52 pm

I learnt the meaning of the words Xenophobia and ocarina from games. Ocarina came up on a quiz machine and won us something like £3 :D

corbo

Post by corbo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Jet Set Willy. Don't expect the wife to let you inthe bedroom until you've done your errands. :lol:

On the driving subject I'd say Geoff Crammonds F1 taught me a lot more than I realised. When I was deeply into this game at around 13 years old our football team went off for a day of carting. After the first few races I found I was a lot quicker than everyone else, and the guy who ran it asked me to do a few laps on my own for everyone to watch and learn! I didn't drive at 13, so I can onlt put this down the F1 on my Amiga 500 :)

I agree that there is a lot to be learned from those early management games such as CM, Civ, Railroad Tycoon, Sim Farm, Sim City etc. Fundamental money management and prioritisation if nothing else, skills which everyone can use.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Not Grand Turismo, but probably Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast. Nothing concrete, just some intuition stuff about how things will behave. Then Grand Theft Auto came along and nearly ****ed up my driving test by making me drive on the wrong side of the road.

I've never held an actual handgun, but I reckon my summers spent on Time Crisis 2 would make me a decent shot once I adapt to recoil etc. I remember applying some techniques I read about in Tom Clancy books to that game and they actually improved my play. Wheels within wheels and all that.

Green herbs cure zombie bites.

I tended to choose RTS games whose themes I already had an interest in, so I didn't necessarily learn from them. However, it was nifty seeing, for example, what I knew about Ancient Egyptian society being applied in Pharoah. It makes things less stuffy.

If I ever get into a serious fight, I know I'll probably try to fight like Balrog from Street Fighter. Whether that'll be good or bad remains to be seen.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:50 pm

MOH:A.A (PC) The beach landing stage, really brought it home just how low odds of survival were.WW2 is an interest of mine and gotta admit this stage just set the mind going. Just how the f**k was a solider supposed to get ashore, wieghted down with equipment, under constant shell and machine gun fire etc?.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:04 pm

thevulture wrote:MOH:A.A (PC) The beach landing stage, really brought it home just how low odds of survival were.WW2 is an interest of mine and gotta admit this stage just set the mind going. Just how the f**k was a solider supposed to get ashore, wieghted down with equipment, under constant shell and machine gun fire etc?.
Like the opening 5 minutes of Saving Private Ryan... the first time I saw it I was completely shocked/speechless, and even felt a little ill... god only knows what was going through the minds of the poor blokes that actually went through it for real...

I don't think I've ever really learnt anything from a game, a few times a game has inspired me to learn a bit more of the subject/content it's based on such as Assassin's Creed 2 and the Bonfire of the Vanities

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Despite the hate a lot of FPS like COD and MOH get - they actually have some decent history lessons in there, and a lot of good quotes from notable figures. I learnt quite a bit about WW2 from video games in fact.

Only other notable example I can think of is eating green mushrooms will give me extra life! (or in fact kill me lol!)

PSN username - MartinPhantom

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:29 pm

:wink: F.F 7:Breeding emu-like birds, just to get the 1 breed your after is a bloody time consuming and frustrating process.

GTA 3 etc-Other drivers on the road likely to pull into your lane with NO warning.

Doom 3-Torch batts do'nt last very long what so ever.

Fallout 3-When the bomb drops? we be f*cked, good n proper.

Theatre Europe-Based on auctual NATO policy about fighting WW3-Lmited tactical Nuclear exchange!!!!! Very bloody scary.

Too many games to mention:Trust no-one! They'll end up f-ing you over sooner or later. :lol:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Bubble Bobble - get a job done promptly
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Any racing or driving game with traffic: Traffic sucks. A lot. People say OutRun 2006 isn't realistic, but when a car pulls blindly into your lane you sure shout and swear in exactly the same way as you would in real life.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design