Incoming Konami collections

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

In coming Konami collections

Metal Gear Solid
43%
Silent Hill
38%
Zone of the Enders
19%

Total votes: 42

Timothy Lumsden

Re: Incoming Konami collections

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:36 pm

^ not bad value - but I think I'd still wait for them to go sub £20 - as they are after all re-releases, even if you are getting multiple games. I saw the Prince of Persia and Lara Croft collections somewhere recently (Morrisons?) for less than £15 - which is good value, but unfortunately neither of those franchises float my boat.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:11 pm

For those unaware or have not frequented the recent MGS1 on PS1 topic - it has been announced that the Metal Gear HD Collection will contain thus:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (AKA the fullest version)

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater: Subsistence (Including MSX versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear: Solid Snake - winner!)

Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker (re-done graphics entirely to fit the big screen and ability to port data to and from the PSP version as and when you feel like it)

This is a CRACKING collection all things considered - the Japanese don't get Peacewalker, they get a coupon code to download Metal Gear Solid on the PSN which quite frankly means we get a much better deal :P

It's a much more enterprising choice with all the above extras!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:30 pm

RetroMartin wrote:For those unaware or have not frequented the recent MGS1 on PS1 topic - it has been announced that the Metal Gear HD Collection will contain thus:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater: Subsistence (Including MSX versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear: Solid Snake - winner!)

Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker (re-done graphics entirely to fit the big screen and ability to port data to and from the PSP version as and when you feel like it)

This is a CRACKING collection all things considered - the Japanese don't get Peacewalker, they get a coupon code to download Metal Gear Solid on the PSN which quite frankly means we get a much better deal :P

i would have rather seen konami to include the psn code as well or give us a port of mgs 1 either aps 1 port or the cube port or a remake
this series wouldnt even excist with out mgs and its succes
yet it gets lip service

and this would be a almost complete integral collection of the whole mgs series barring 4 which is still in the shops
but no they leave out mgs 1
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:38 pm

snowkatt wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:For those unaware or have not frequented the recent MGS1 on PS1 topic - it has been announced that the Metal Gear HD Collection will contain thus:

Actually to be fair you have a point, MGS1 + integral/VR Missions would have really rounded the package out but hey ho, I'll take what we get if it's decent enough and its certainly not a terrible package by any stretch. Especially seeing as PS1 is playable on all PS3's whereas PS2 is NOT on the vast majority I'd say it works out quite nicely!

i would have rather seen konami to include the psn code as well or give us a port of mgs 1 either aps 1 port or the cube port or a remake
this series wouldnt even excist with out mgs and its succes
yet it gets lip service

and this would be a almost complete integral collection of the whole mgs series barring 4 which is still in the shops
but no they leave out mgs 1

PSN username - MartinPhantom

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:52 pm

Thread Bump (and not best news i've heard, as have this on Pre-order):

A key member of the original Silent Hill trilogy development team has expressed his disappointment at the state of the impending HD re-release of SH2 and 3.
As reported by Destructoid, Masahiro Ito, who served as art director on the first three Silent Hill games, was asked to comment via Twitter on comparison shots of the PS2 original next to the new HD version. In the images, missing fog textures have exposed unfinished sections of the environment.
"Left side is HD, isn't it? It's poor," he wrote. "It's really a released version? Really?"
When the follower who originally posed the questioned confirmed that the image was indeed from the retail disc, Ito simply replied "OMG!"'....'

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:46 pm

I've been following the silent hill hd collection news since it was released in America. It's in a pretty bad state, the ps3 version has terrible frame rate issues on top of sound problems and the above graphical issues. It's such a disappointment as I did want a nice hd version of sh2 and 3 but they've really screwed up the grimy, dark atmosphere by making the games to clean, bright and removing most of the fog. Glad I kept my ps2 versions...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:33 pm

That's interesting as two reviews I read scored the collection a 9/10 saying the tech improvements were decent and the new voice cast were excellent

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Rayne wrote:All of them! Some of the best games from last gen in lovely HD :D
Budget permitting, agreed! And I'm about to go out and buy a current gen machine this weekend-finally-and gotta admit I'm pretty buzzed about it. Silent hills collection definately would be the first on this list for me

DanWelsh86

Post by DanWelsh86 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Rayne wrote:All of them! Some of the best games from last gen in lovely HD :D
Budget permitting, agreed! And I'm about to go out and buy a current gen machine this weekend-finally-and gotta admit I'm pretty buzzed about it. Silent hills collection definately would be the first on this list for me
Buy a new console and get a HD collection first?

Only on this board!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:04 pm

ShadowMan wrote:I've been following the silent hill hd collection news since it was released in America. It's in a pretty bad state, the ps3 version has terrible frame rate issues on top of sound problems and the above graphical issues. It's such a disappointment as I did want a nice hd version of sh2 and 3 but they've really screwed up the grimy, dark atmosphere by making the games to clean, bright and removing most of the fog. Glad I kept my ps2 versions...
Heard 360 version is more stable, but has 'issues'.

Anyone know the source code used? i'm assuming PS2, as claims made the fog issues on PS3 version due to hardware differences on issue of 'translucent textures' which created the fog/mist, in the PS2 version, guess no-one wanted to re-write the routines for PS3 hardware.

I should'nt be surprised,not 1st poor port to more powerful hardware by Konami, MGS 2 on Xbox-slowdown in the rain, SH3 on PC not getting the high-res texture treatment like SH2 did and so forth.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:36 pm

The PC versions of Silent Hill 2/3 from a decade ago look better than the HD remasters.

I'd post the actual images but they are too big.

PC = Top, 360/PS3 = bottom.
http://i.imgur.com/SLPuI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GWwxi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/R9dOq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mB5BO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1r9zP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GaS16.jpg

How they mess this up so bad?

Left = 360/PS3, Right = PC.

Before and after:
The before shots with the darkness and fog looked way better.

Look at the lake in the background in particular. The road texture too.

Here are a few promotional shots for the remake that are pure propaganda.
Here is thier "before and after"
http://www.abload.de/img/sh3_bakery_h2wbevs.jpg

and here is the actual 10 year old PC version
http://i.imgur.com/wsr6o.jpg
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Ito doesn't like these HD remakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTZeeVJYS98#t=30s
Someone probably looked at the water and said 'Yep, looks great, that will do'.

Transition from old to new.
That HD version comes off looking like an unfinished build.

Vote with your wallets and do not buy this collection, doing so would be disrespectful to the people who worked so hard to make the original games the classics they are, also buying this will make Konami think this kind of thing is okay to do.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:11 am

thevulture wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:I've been following the silent hill hd collection news since it was released in America. It's in a pretty bad state, the ps3 version has terrible frame rate issues on top of sound problems and the above graphical issues. It's such a disappointment as I did want a nice hd version of sh2 and 3 but they've really screwed up the grimy, dark atmosphere by making the games to clean, bright and removing most of the fog. Glad I kept my ps2 versions...
Heard 360 version is more stable, but has 'issues'.

Anyone know the source code used? i'm assuming PS2, as claims made the fog issues on PS3 version due to hardware differences on issue of 'translucent textures' which created the fog/mist, in the PS2 version, guess no-one wanted to re-write the routines for PS3 hardware.

I should'nt be surprised,not 1st poor port to more powerful hardware by Konami, MGS 2 on Xbox-slowdown in the rain, SH3 on PC not getting the high-res texture treatment like SH2 did and so forth.
I would have thought thE ps2 versions would be used. But these were outsourced to another company to do, it screams of a rush job through and through.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:02 pm

'.... Konami released a 297 MB patch to fix the problems on the PS3 (no word yet on a 360 equivalent) and assures gamers that the bugs will not be present in the EU release set for later this month, However, many fans in North America have not noticed a difference in performance.
In addition, fans are upset over missing textures, an overly clean or scrubbed look to environments, faulty controls, an edited Pyramid Head/mannequin scene, and myriad other glitches.'
:roll:
The enviroments being scrubbed up/cleaner than originals, worse fog and issues with cut scenes.

Clearly was a quick cash in, who was it given to? 'bodge it and scarper'? .If they were'nt bothering to re-write the fog+mist routines for Ps3/360 hardware, why not just put PS2 and Xbox original versions of SH2 up on XBL/PSN?.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Dustructroid gave Silent Hill HD 3/10.
IGN gave it 9/10 but you know what IGN are like.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:25 pm

It's a shame as I was going to pick up the Silent Hill collection as never played them but think I might give it a miss now.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!