Dragon's Crown (PS3)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

Dragon's Crown (PS3)

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:22 pm

A hidden gem that seems to have passed by unnoticed at E3. Basically a side-scrolling beat 'em up/RPG thing by Vanillaware, developers of Grimgrimoire, Odin Sphere and Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Loved all of those games and any Vanillaware game is a day one purchase for me. Only downer? Not out until 'Spring 2012'! :(

Trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a_g7lUliQU
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Tepid Snake

Re: Dragon's Crown (PS3)

Post by Tepid Snake » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Yes, this one seemed to slip by everyone at E3! Might be worth checking out the Twitter account for high-quality art and more info.

This is basically a sequel/homage to the two arcade Dungeons & Dragons scrolling brawlers from Capcom released in the nineties (one of the founders of Vanillaware worked on both of them) and I want to see how this turns out, because I like the genre so much and this looks like it could be really excellent. Trying to keep my hype down, though, as a) I have no PS3 (although there will be a PS Vita version) and b) I really disliked Odin Sphere.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:48 pm

This game will also be released on PS Vita, I think - but the PS3 Version will be fine for me.
I loved Muramasa and Odin Sphere.

I would also be looking forward to "Grand Knight History" (again VanillaWare) but sadly it will only be released on PSP.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:56 am

I love the art style, but if its as cruel as Odin Sphere then ill be reluctant to try it.
Odin Sphere was very punishing. An encounter can go from you killing enemies left and right in quick succession without taking a hit, on the way to S rank to suddenly taking a quick hit out of nowhere and all that skill going to waste, straight to C rank.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Lavilian

Post by Lavilian » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:22 am

It's already looks smashing. Lately I have been on a kind of Vanillaware buzz and have been replaying Muramasa and Odin Sphere. One of my favourite developers.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:57 pm

Tepid Snake wrote:Yes, this one seemed to slip by everyone at E3! Might be worth checking out the Twitter account for high-quality art and more info.
Yeah the art looks incredible as always. Seen a lot of it on Creativeuncut.com and the witch is certainly...something :wink:
Trickster wrote: I would also be looking forward to "Grand Knight History" (again VanillaWare) but sadly it will only be released on PSP.
Haven't heard about that one! EU release?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:13 pm

I really enjoyed the two capcom beat em up D&D games, this might be worth a purchase if it's similar!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:35 pm

The chest on the Mage is RIDICULOUS :lol: sways more than a Team Ninja game!!

Must admit from that trailer I'm a tad disappointed, stylistically I much preferred Muramasa & Odin Sphere over this more Fantasy-oriented one.

That said I'll be buying it ASAP :)

Panther Clipper

Post by Panther Clipper » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:15 pm

This really caught my eye, it looks like a good old fashioned romp, golden axe stylee, the anatomically enhanced women looks a big unnecessary but i suppose but the game itself looks smashing, why on earth dont we get games like this released in the UK, does anyone have any have any tips on how i could import the american version, cheers 8)
"By what name are you known?"
"There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?"
"greetings, Tim the Enchanter."

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Panther Clipper wrote:why on earth dont we get games like this released in the UK, does anyone have any have any tips on how i could import the american version, cheers 8)
I've preordered the US version from play-asia.com :)
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Panther Clipper

Post by Panther Clipper » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:23 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
Panther Clipper wrote:why on earth dont we get games like this released in the UK, does anyone have any have any tips on how i could import the american version, cheers 8)
I've preordered the US version from play-asia.com :)
ok well this is a pretty much nailed on purchase for me, cheers!
"By what name are you known?"
"There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?"
"greetings, Tim the Enchanter."