is the 3ds worth getting ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: is the 3ds worth getting ?

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:47 pm

thevulture wrote:Wonder how many people (in terms of Joe Public) would buy a 3DS IF Nintendo suddenly came out and said something like that was it, shareholders had said, right, woah....cannot be doing with this etc and 3DS was to be their last handheld...ever.

Sure collectors would want mint, boxed slice of history, sure a number of Ebay sellers would snap them up, for future L@@k Mega-Rare! auctions etc, but would your average joe in the street care anymore than say DC being Sega's last console or Jaguar Atari's?.

How many of us on here would? I'd be tempted, could have bought a Sega Nomad, Nintendo Virtual boy for mere fraction of what they go for now.But tempted and swayed to auctually buying.....just to have it sat in a box?.Hmmnnn...not so sure.
Would depend on price. Looking back over the years, the dumped hardware at dirt cheap prices I could have bought like Virtual boy, Jag etc...even back to the Vectrex, hindsight suggests they were worth picking up if you had the spare readies. And from a collecting point of view, a mint in box takes up little room!

From what I've seen and used on the store displays, I do like the 3DS. It's a nice feel/weight in the hands IMO, nice screen...it's just the hefty price and needs games-good games, and lots more of them to justify the investment.
IF Ninty can come to the party on both those issues- First a substancial price drop to make it in the same buyers market as other handhelds (in NZ terms that will need a drop of at least $150), some more good games- or at least a great 'coming soon' lineup in conjunction with maybe a good 'platinum' range of cheap launch titles to keep gamers interested in the mean time...or possibly even a 3DS package with several titles...it might get some interest.
But price and games, that's the name of the game.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:56 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:I don't think anyone in this thread is arguing Nintendo go down the iOS-style road. All Nintendo need to do is continue making great games (with some genuinely new and innovative ones included) while significantly ramping up the quality, variety and value for money offered of games available via the console's online portal.

The latter isn't wholly dependent on Nintendo of course and it may well be a challenge encouraging sufficient numbers of publishers to release dedicated 3DS titles as eShop exclusives.

While it's interesting that so many Japanese DS owners bought and enjoyed playing Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training in their millions partly because of its quick fix dip in/dip out structure I think caution should be advised on stretching that example too far. It's clearly not representative of the whole picture.

The main reason so many in Japan are still buying the seven year old PSP, to the extent its outsold 3DS most weeks over there, is so they can play the numerous big name RPG titles that are being released on the console. I'm no fan of RPGs but I'm pretty sure these sort of games are massive time sinks? Or is it that the current top selling RPGs on PSP in Japan are designed in a way that facilitates quick fix gaming too? Sort of a "Random battle, level up, save game" type of thing?
Yep, PSP still the one wanted down here too- Because its cheap, and had tons of games, good games, at a cheap price. Nintendo would be nuts IMO to go down the iOS road, and I think most would agree. The point of difference with PSP/DS etc IMO is the games of depth/substance, and a machine with decent controls on it to play them. I see mates with their iphones or whatever playing these 2minutes of interest games- or downloading good games then flicking at the screen or tilting various ways to play without nice controls... maybe okay while waiting for your fish n chips for a few minutes...but not for me. A couple of basic games like Yeti Sports on my ancient phone for a takeaway line...otherwise if I get a handheld console to play on I want something more game specific/designed than that.
Of course, everyone's different, and most gamers now seem happy with an iphone styled thing. Not for me personally...like facebook I steer clear of because it makes you look like a censored sheep :lol:

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:07 pm

I didn't bother reading the whole 40 pages on this thread so maybe I'll just be repeating what has already been said:

I bought a 3DS a few weeks ago from a friend. I had wanted one since it came out but the price really put me off (especially since I have just bought a house...), so I was happy to strike a deal with said friend. And so far, I can safely say I do not regret my purchase!

I only have 2 games so far (Zelda OoT and DOA Dimensions) but I really love both and the 3D is really good for both. (strangely, it seems easier on the eyes for DOA) I like the fact that I can also download GB/GBC games (and luckily, the former owner had bought Link's Awakening so I still have it!) and there are games I really look forward to (RE Revelations, Mario, etc...).

But the thing that makes it more interesting and gives something new to the whole experience (besides the 3D effect) is the Street Pass/Podometer. I like the idea of being rewarded in games for something you do "in real life" so the concept of walking to get coins to "buy" things in your games works for me.
And the Street Pass quest/Puzzle quest is a great idea! Being able to advance through a game by meeting other people is quite fun.
At the end of the day, I was anxious to see if I had met any player. If Nintendo brings new softwares using this feature, it could definitely become something truly innovative and... do I dare say it?... revolutionary.
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:13 pm

kiwimike wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I don't think anyone in this thread is arguing Nintendo go down the iOS-style road. All Nintendo need to do is continue making great games (with some genuinely new and innovative ones included) while significantly ramping up the quality, variety and value for money offered of games available via the console's online portal.

The latter isn't wholly dependent on Nintendo of course and it may well be a challenge encouraging sufficient numbers of publishers to release dedicated 3DS titles as eShop exclusives.

While it's interesting that so many Japanese DS owners bought and enjoyed playing Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training in their millions partly because of its quick fix dip in/dip out structure I think caution should be advised on stretching that example too far. It's clearly not representative of the whole picture.

The main reason so many in Japan are still buying the seven year old PSP, to the extent its outsold 3DS most weeks over there, is so they can play the numerous big name RPG titles that are being released on the console. I'm no fan of RPGs but I'm pretty sure these sort of games are massive time sinks? Or is it that the current top selling RPGs on PSP in Japan are designed in a way that facilitates quick fix gaming too? Sort of a "Random battle, level up, save game" type of thing?
Yep, PSP still the one wanted down here too- Because its cheap, and had tons of games, good games, at a cheap price. Nintendo would be nuts IMO to go down the iOS road, and I think most would agree. The point of difference with PSP/DS etc IMO is the games of depth/substance, and a machine with decent controls on it to play them. I see mates with their iphones or whatever playing these 2minutes of interest games- or downloading good games then flicking at the screen or tilting various ways to play without nice controls... maybe okay while waiting for your fish n chips for a few minutes...but not for me. A couple of basic games like Yeti Sports on my ancient phone for a takeaway line...otherwise if I get a handheld console to play on I want something more game specific/designed than that.
Of course, everyone's different, and most gamers now seem happy with an iphone styled thing. Not for me personally...like facebook I steer clear of because it makes you look like a censored sheep :lol:
I own...

Lynx, Lynx II, Nomad, Game Gear, PSP, DS Lite, GameBoy micro, GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Pocket, GameBoy, Virtual Boy, WonderSwan Swan Crystal, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Gizmondo and an iPhone 4

... and love them all. :D

I may perhaps get a PlayStation Vita but definitely don't plan on getting a 3DS.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:01 am

DreamcastRIP your just a gaming w-hore :-P :-D

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:37 am

Saw CEX were giving £120 for Aqua 3DSes... I don't think that's going to last long (Gamestation are selling them for £130 preowned). It was too tempting and I traded mine in. I got myself a couple of Ds Lites + games for the kids in exchange.
I really enjoyed (and completed) Shadow Wars and Ridge Racer. I also rescued my Mii on Streetpass Quest. I held out for Ocarina... but replaying it wasn't as enjoyable as I thought it would be.
My main gripes:
1/ Adding friends is a chore.
2/ Battery life is just terrible.
3/ Shop was disappointing in content, layout and price.
4/ 3d doesn't feel like the revolution it's pitched as.
5/ Better games for original DS.
6/ Games and console overpriced (soon to be remedied it seems).
Maybe I'm just getting old and miserable!

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:53 am

Tellah wrote:Saw CEX were giving £120 for Aqua 3DSes... I don't think that's going to last long (Gamestation are selling them for £130 preowned). It was too tempting and I traded mine in. I got myself a couple of Ds Lites + games for the kids in exchange.
I really enjoyed (and completed) Shadow Wars and Ridge Racer. I also rescued my Mii on Streetpass Quest. I held out for Ocarina... but replaying it wasn't as enjoyable as I thought it would be.
My main gripes:
1/ Adding friends is a chore.
2/ Battery life is just terrible.
3/ Shop was disappointing in content, layout and price.
4/ 3d doesn't feel like the revolution it's pitched as.
5/ Better games for original DS.
6/ Games and console overpriced (soon to be remedied it seems).
Maybe I'm just getting old and miserable!
Re battery life. Thats made my mind up for me. I'll wait until a new flavour comes out, hopefully battery life will have been addressed by then. Its strange really, Nintendo always do well with the battery life on their products. It was one of the main reasons why the gameboy did so well back in the day.

Eat your nans pants

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:54 am

We've got 3DS pre-owned at Gamestation for £129.99! Well, at least where I work in York anyway!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:57 am

SpiffierRabbit wrote:We've got 3DS pre-owned at Gamestation for £129.99! Well, at least where I work in York anyway!

wonder how long it wil take before the machine becomes 89,99 preowned
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:59 am

snowkatt wrote:
SpiffierRabbit wrote:We've got 3DS pre-owned at Gamestation for £129.99! Well, at least where I work in York anyway!

wonder how long it wil take before the machine becomes 89,99 preowned
the way we price stuff at work, i would say new year! :D

retrogamer1981

Post by retrogamer1981 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:01 pm

The red 3DS is really nice!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:09 pm

retrogamer1981 wrote:The red 3DS is really nice!

so is the red ds xl
id rather have that

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:54 pm

EA have just effectively stated they're pulling out of most, if not all 3D development as it's a waste of time and resources.
No link. Use google you lazy buggers!
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Freestyler wrote:EA have just effectively stated they're pulling out of most, if not all 3D development as it's a waste of time and resources.
No link. Use google you lazy buggers!

if this keeps up there wont be any developers left and whats the incentive to buy a 3ds game ?
nintendo's games ? ie rehahses of older games and the sequals ?
enough for some i suppose but not for me

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:47 pm

With their share price in free fall since 25th July and investors deserting in their droves what great move is Nintendo planning next to turn the tide back in their favour?

NES games on 3DS with multiplayer functionality! Where will the innovation end? :shock:

Freakin' NES games ffs! :roll: ... that you'll be able to play against at least one other person! Blue ocean strategy FTW! :lol:

Pick your jaw back up off the floor, this is revolutionary stuff! :o

Don't panic, Captain Mainwaring, the crisis has been averted! :lol:

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/07/31 ... ds-titles/
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac