is the 3ds worth getting ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DreamcastRIP

Re: is the 3ds worth getting ?

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:08 pm

nakamura wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: Or as a 59p game on iOS, perhaps. If it were on PlayStation Vita then my guess is many owners would consider it an insult.
That's a bit of an exaggeration tbh, but I do think it was rushed out a bit & could've done with additional missions based in other RE games. The save issue is a strange one but not a deal breaker for RE fans I feel as much as ensuring Mercs had a decent level of longevity to it's point & shoot mechanic for a full retail release.
Yeah it is a bit of an exaggeration but he does have a point. The content is so light and it is not remotely original. Everything is taken from other games and nothing feels new.

Being a huge Resi fan, it feels like a letdown.
How was that "a bit of an exaggeration"? Are you both referring to the technical possibility of the game being on iOS, the price I mentioned and/or the statement about how I suspect PS Vita owners would react? Neither of your responses make this clear.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:04 pm

IMO- No, it isn't worth getting. To be totally blunt it is too expensive for what you get with only a smattering of decent titles.

It might be worth getting down the track when hardware & software drops in price, and there's a better range of decent games. But at this stage IMO it is appalling bang for your buck. The 3D effect looks good but not enough to justify the price tag and the novelty effect wears off fast. Shops down here are really struggling to get any interest in it at all, price drops and bundle packages are starting.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:06 pm

@DreamcastRIP

For me it was your price comment. Most 59p iOS games are extremely lite to say the least & Mercs for what it is, is meant to be more of a console experience albeit one with some brevity. I'm sure technically an IPhone 4 or 5th gen touch could easily handle the game but the control issues tend to marr the experience, thereby lending it to a cheaper price point if it were to appear on that platform. As for the Vita comment, that's strictly in the realms of the hypothetical since with a larger screen estate & more processing grunt Mercs could be a different proposition rather than the game as it stands on the 3DS. If it was converted in it's current form several months later, Vita owners maybe disappointed but insulted is a bit OTT imo.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

tmc

Post by tmc » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:18 pm

Was at a camping party tonight and a bunch of 4/5 lads about 10/11 yrs old were grouped around an ipad.

I asked what they thought of the 3ds just out of interest,

'nah it really hurts your eyes'

'have you played one?' i asked

'no, but this girl at school, her eyes went really funny, gives you really bad head'

and all went back to that paper ball flick thing on the ipad :roll:

not scientific I know, but it worries me that it won't get momentum when kids are outright dismissing it before even playing.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:19 pm

Nemesis - I got Mercs on the iPhone for 59p.

Not to get into a debate either, but Game Dev Story, Eternal Legacy, Shadow Guardian & Dead Space are just a few examples of 59p games that offered more than 10 hours of game time.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Rayne wrote:Nemesis - I got Mercs on the iPhone for 59p.

Not to get into a debate either, but Game Dev Story, Eternal Legacy, Shadow Guardian & Dead Space are just a few examples of 59p games that offered more than 10 hours of game time.
Rayne, that's okay this is why I said "most" 59p iOS are extremely lite rather than all of them. :wink:

Still I digress, back to the topic.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

scorpionatthepc

Post by scorpionatthepc » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Had a mess around with a 3ds in asda the other day didn't care too much for the 3d made my eyes funny. Think it was that pilot wings game they had in the machine.

Didn't rate it.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm enjoying my 3DS, couple of good virtual console games worth playing, and Ocarina of Time is actually really good!

I expect it'll get better as it goes on, remember the wii was a bit sh*te when it first came out!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 pm

Well, I got Puzzle Quest 2 for my iPad for 0.99€ and it's even better than the 40€ DS version, so there clearly something wrong there. I guess the first batch of 3DS games are on par if with current DLC/iOS games. Lets hope there are some quality non-Nintendo games on the horizon (looking at RE: Revelations).

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm

harlequ1n wrote:Well, I got Puzzle Quest 2 for my iPad for 0.99€ and it's even better than the 40€ DS version, so there clearly something wrong there. I guess the first batch of 3DS games are on par if with current DLC/iOS games. Lets hope there are some quality non-Nintendo games on the horizon (looking at RE: Revelations).
DUDE! Good to see you again :)

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:25 pm

Rayne wrote:DUDE! Good to see you again :)
Thanks :) I've been active the past few days ever since I subscribed back to RG. I felt like an outsider while not being a subscriber that's why I kinda stopped lurking around :P

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:18 pm

nakamura wrote: Out of interest bud, and a genuine Q here. Would you be as interested in this game if it was on PSP? I mean, for me people excited about this game make me feel like it is more to do with the lack of software overall on the machine as opposed to it being a particularly good game. Nothing wrong with the game overall but with the pretty samey gameplay and saving issues I cannot help but feel if it was on a system with more titles it would be ignored.
Bit of a strange question. No I wouldn't be as interested as I much prefer the 3DS as a console. For it to be on the PSP it would have to take a serious cut in graphics, no 3D, awkward controls etc etc. However I would still be interested in it as I've always liked Resi Evil Mercs. The control on 3DS are what appeal to me most so I knew the gameplay had the potential to be 100% faithful to home versions, and I was right. :)

I think what a lot of people don't quite realise here is that it's a game so ideal for a handheld, I agree that it's probably overpriced but I'd rather pay £30 for this than a LOT of 3DS games out there as I know I'll get my moneys worth out it. I don't buy any old crap for the 3DS, I only own 6 games and love them all. For people who appreciate the nature of the game there's a a fair bit of content here. It's not a game for everyone as I said.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:26 pm

C=Style wrote: I agree that it's probably overpriced.
To be fair that is all I wanted to hear. :)
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Though I think I'll get £30 of game out of it. Its not good value for a LOT of people, just as score attack shmups aren't either as people generally don't like them and regard them as bare bones too, yet that's not actually true for the shmup player.

No point comparing this to a 59p iOS version though LMAO.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Sure you will get value from it mate. Just personally think it should be a budget title, say £19.99.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)