is the 3ds worth getting ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

is the 3ds worth getting ?

Post by snowkatt » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:34 am

i have debated asking this in the 3ds thread or starting a whole new topic
but this might become buried in the conversations there so here we are then
the 3ds has been on the market for around 5 months now ( with a lacklustre launch line up it must be said ) and it finally unloaded one of its big guns zelda oot
is it worth buying ?
are there any other games that are worth buying either out now or coming ( in november no doubt )
should you just wait for inevitable christmas psv price cut or the equally inevitable 3ds lite ?

and most importantly is it actually worth bother with the machine if you dont plan to use the 3d at all ?
( gives me a splitting headache )
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

o.pwuaioc

Re: is the 3ds worth getting ?

Post by o.pwuaioc » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 am

If you have an N64, why not play OoT there instead? Especially since the 3DS adds nothing new to it. Personally I see the device as a worthless gimmick, and unless they start pumping out tons of great titles, I'll probably never get it, precisely because the 3D gives me a migraine too. Like the Virtual Boy, I'm ok missing out on a few decent titles instead of shelling out hundreds on a product that makes me ill.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:20 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:If you have an N64, why not play OoT there instead? Especially since the 3DS adds nothing new to it. Personally I see the device as a worthless gimmick, and unless they start pumping out tons of great titles, I'll probably never get it, precisely because the 3D gives me a migraine too. Like the Virtual Boy, I'm ok missing out on a few decent titles instead of shelling out hundreds on a product that makes me ill.
i have the cube version the collectors edition with majora and zelda 1 and 2
thankfully you can turn the 3d off ( but doesnt that defeat the whole point ? ) but is the 3ds worth getting as a bigger better version of the ds ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:45 am

I would wait. Once you get it, you'll find it just sits there most of the time. My 6 year old has one (3D turned off as she doesn't like it) and she still just uses the DS. We don't even touch it. The camera on it is very poor also.

It definately needs more games. Zelda will be fun to play again tho. Wait for the next version as it will surely be a more streamlined version. Defo no rush on this one, unless you are a big Nintendo fan or have the disposable income.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:28 am

snowkatt wrote:hankfully you can turn the 3d off ( but doesnt that defeat the whole point ? )
I'm not sure I would that the 3D is the whole point. Obviously it's a big aspect of the console, but it has others. I don't buy the argument that some people make by saying "take away the 3D and all that's left it a DSi". Graphically alone the 3DS is runnng games the old DS could only dream off.

I think could happily own one and never use the 3D, however I would resent paying so much for a feature I might not use, so I'm gonna wait.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:07 am

I would say its a better idea to wait a while. Zelda is the big draw of the console at the moment and theres been good things said about Dead or Alive, Ridge Racer and Ghost Recon. But speaking without bias (i want to say that OoT is alone worth buying the console for!) i cant say theres a decent enough library of games to justify a purchase yet.

Most of the really big hitters wont be out till close to christmas, with a few decent things between. Resi Mercanaries it out end of this month, Starfox and Shinobi in September, Cave Story and a Shin Megami game in August.
Be patient and wait for some of the big releases to hit the system. And heym youll probably get it for cheaper by then aswell.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:40 am

We already have a near identical and active 3DS thread, no offense but just because your keyboard doesn't appear to have a working shift/caps lock button it doesn't mean your question would of got lost.

IMO the machine is worth buying, good games are:

Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
Pilotwings Resort
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Street FIghter IV 3D
Dead or Alive Dimensions

in the pipeline:

Star Fox 64 3D
Kid Icarus: Uprising (which is looking exceptionally good)
Super Mario 3D
Cave Story 3D
Resident Evil Mercs/Revelations
Metal Gear Solid 3
Mario Kart 3D
Luigi's Mansion 2

Throw in B/C with DS and DSiWare, upcoming games on the Store and the fact it retails for little more than an XL these days. But ultimately the longer your leave it the larger and better the library will become.

To answer the last question about 3D, no it's not essential you use it. In some cases games look better without it anyway, but when the effect is used properly it is pretty impressive.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:56 am

No it's not worth getting.

The build quality means that whatever one you buy there's a solid 50% change the hinges will be wrong or the screen will scratch.

As of writing there's only one game that could be called a 'system seller' all the others are passable at best. Even then if Zelda floats your boat it won't keep it floating until christmas this year (which seems to be when every other game is finally released)

Basically, if you want a rickety system with 1 decent game for the next 4 or 5 months then go ahead.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:15 am

Daddy or Chips really.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:26 am

Simple to answer:It's like any system that's come before it and will come out after it-IF it's got the games you want and hardware is within your price range:Buy it.

If not? either wait till price drops, games you do want appear or spend money on something you do want to buy.

Hardware build issues? part n parcel of a handheld-gonna get dust under screen, dead pixels, LCD screens scratch easily, etc.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:28 am

Freestyler wrote:Daddy or Chips really.
:wink: Coffee or tea?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:14 am

Whats the best colour 3DS to use? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Rayne wrote:No it's not worth getting.

The build quality means that whatever one you buy there's a solid 50% change the hinges will be wrong or the screen will scratch.

As of writing there's only one game that could be called a 'system seller' all the others are passable at best. Even then if Zelda floats your boat it won't keep it floating until christmas this year (which seems to be when every other game is finally released)

Basically, if you want a rickety system with 1 decent game for the next 4 or 5 months then go ahead.
Agreed on each count. 3DS has been mighty close to being an abomination so far, imho.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:13 pm

i love my DS, and tried a 3DS in the shops for the first time on saturday.

Was amazed at how bad an eye ache I was left with (and yes I positioned my head correctly, adjusted the slider, stood on one foot and faced north and all the other things). The 3D works, but I couldn't bare to look at the screen for more a minute or two. Very surprised - but different people react differently to it I guess - though my friend did experience the same problem.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:23 pm

I'd advise you to wait, as I'm doing. The games just aren't quite there yet (SSFIV and OOT are the only killer apps so far, and they're both available on other machines). The good games will come, but then so will a price cut so why not wait for a few months?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360