NoE with another balls-up - OoT 3DS this time..

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jcdentont1000

NoE with another balls-up - OoT 3DS this time..

Post by jcdentont1000 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:46 am

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread; just thought I'd bring up the current drama Nintendo of Europe have managed to land themselves in - again.

This morning I unwrapped my pre-ordered (delivered late, thanks Game) copy of Ocarina of Time 3DS and attempted to register the code on Club Nintendo as normal, but perhaps with a little more expediancy than usual as there is also a 'free OST CD' with every copy of the game registered online before June 30th.

What Nintendo failed to put in their literature anywhere, or on the product information screen (which is still live, actually still advertising the CD as a key selling point of going out and buying the game today) is that the CD's are in ridiculously limited quantity. In fact, according to this site which is running a story on the fiasco (http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=15790) as few as 1000 copies were meant to last until 30th of June - note, nowheredoes it say 'until stocks last' or 'limited number available', it just says register the game before 30th of June, and 'get a free CD'.

I'm a little pissed off but not as much as some hardened Ninty fans who are actually going berzerk. I think the most annoying thing about this isn't the fact that they have run out, but the fact that they haven't bothered telling anyone about it as nobody at Nintendo seemingly works weekends. The (I think deliberately) misleading page is still there actively mis-selling the game 'deal' and the actual registration page only gives a generic error message:

Yeah, you'd like that wouldn't you Toad, you little Toad ****.

Thing is, this isn't the first time NoE have ballsed up customer relations but trying to be the 'good guys' and offer nice things for their customers. The problem is, when you don't deliver you **** a lot of people off and do a lot more harm than good.

:x :x :x :x :x
XBox 360 Gamertag: jcdentont1000
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: TBC (Now, where did I leave my 3DS..)

"Trust no one. Question everything."

killbot

Re: NoE with another balls-up - OoT 3DS this time..

Post by killbot » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:57 am

Interesting. I wonder if NoE intended to honour the deal but were stiffed by the parent company who decided the US needed more copies and only ended up with a pitiful number to go around. That kind of thing has happened before.

In any case, I'd fully expect that Ninty will end up honouring the promotion since they're fairly obviously in breach of some kind of advertising code. Nowhere have I seen the words 'while stocks last' in relation to this offer.
Last edited by killbot on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:58 am

Not a pleasant situation. Perhaps Ninty will sort some extra discs to customers when they return to work next week... i doubt it but you never know.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

jcdentont1000

Post by jcdentont1000 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Interesting replies, agree Killbot, this was never a 'limited stock' offer, only a 'limited time only' offer; and it's just that, an offer, not a bonus. It's being sold as part of the actual product.

Now I am just waiting for the typical 'but you got the game so be happy blah blah blah' reply - normally I'd agree if this were like the many other 'limited stock' promotions, but this is different, it is false advertising plain and simple.

:evil:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:24 pm

jcdentont1000 wrote:Now I am just waiting for the typical 'but you got the game so be happy blah blah blah' reply - normally I'd agree if this were like the many other 'limited stock' promotions, but this is different, it is false advertising plain and simple.

:evil:
Well you shouldn't get any of those sort of replies. The advert promised something and that promise has been broken. If they don't get any more CD's though, it's difficult to see just what they'd offer in it's place.

Saying that, can it really cost that much to burn a few CD's in this day and age? It does seem like an easily-rectifiable situation.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

jcdentont1000

Post by jcdentont1000 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:40 pm

^^^^^^

The whole thing now feels even more of a shambles; apparently NoE also failed to deliver retailers with the pre-order bonus gifts in time too, (a keyring or a poster I think are the two main ones from Game or HMV) meaning retailers are having to pay to ship the game, then presumably pay out of their own pocket to ship the gift seperately. In my Game delivery packet they apologise for not sending the pre-order gift, and promise to ship it 'as soon as possible' in the future. My friend ordered from HMV and was told the same when he called to enquire.

Worst game launch ever?

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:46 pm

Pretty worrying stuff. Considering how huge this game was in its day and how much hype there was for the remake, you would have thought theyd have made more CD's and organised things a bit better.

Im still waiting on my Pre-order items. Im a little confused as to how its going to come though. Is it actually going to come as the 3DS case with the cover and poster inside? Because if so im just going to have a spare, empty Zelda box.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:48 pm

Get Watchdog on it.
The BBC will give their right bollock for another "The evil games industry" story, so get on their website!

Seriously though, they KNEW how popular their product would be, and they know full well most games sales happen within the first two weeks of sale. There isn't a single excuse they could use that would sound even remotely believable.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Freestyler wrote: Seriously though, they KNEW how popular their product would be, and they know full well most games sales happen within the first two weeks of sale. There isn't a single excuse they could use that would sound even remotely believable.
Yeah, f*ck up an enhanced re-release of one of the most highly-rated games of all-time on a brand-new system that needs it's big-hitters. Well done Nintendo, well done.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Apparently all the copies were gone by about 4:30pm on the Friday.

Having reread the text on the website, it states "chance" which in my eyes is their get out because it doesn't explicitly guarantee you will get the CD if you register before the 30th. I'm not saying it's right but... it's misleading at best.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

jcdentont1000

Post by jcdentont1000 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Well, the text says;

"Club Nintendo Members who register their copy of the game will have the chance to get their hands on an exclusive THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME 3D SOUNDTRACK CD, featuring a slew of great tracks from the game score. But, if you want to get your hands on one, you'll have to register the game by the 30th of June 2011!"

The only 'clause' in that text is here; "But, if you want to get your hands on one, you'll have to register the game by the 30th of June 2011!". The 'chance' to get our hands on one is solely dependent on registering by the given date. No other terms and conditions were given, including any 'we reserve the right to withdraw this offer' clauses. I don't think they could get away with arguing otherwise in a million years - not least to the kind of people this will primarily **** off, namely the actual Nintendo fans who provide a lot of business as well as being the core of the Nintendo fan base.

At best - if rectified - this was an embarrassing mistake which has at least been fixed. At worst it is a big, expensive PR disaster for a company trying to convince the rest of the gaming world to take them seriously and another cheap shot at Nintendo fans still reeling from the craptacular Mario anniversary 'celebrations'..

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Already said a bit about this on the 3DS thread. It's actually a lot worse than the text you've quoted makes out. If you look at the news headlines, the one about the game launching on the 17th (posted yesterday) says, and I quote:

"If you register your copy of the game by June 30th 2011 you'll receive a free THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME 3D SOUNDTRACK CD, containing a slew of beautiful tunes from the game’s score."

(source)http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/new ... 43309.html
No mention of the word chance at all.

E-mail sent last night, waiting on a reply, although I'm sure several other people are doing the same.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:49 pm

No idea on the legal side as such, but reading what's been posted here, is this not 1 mother of a sh*t fest waiting to blow up in Nintendo's faces?.Not only can they not honour existing customer requests, but continue to make it a key part of the advertising campain...Ouch!.

Compensation of some form will surely have to be issued, but that's nothing next to the bad P.R-Any of the tabloid rags gotten wind of this yet?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:57 pm

So not only are they annoying pre-purchasers of the game , but also their official club members?

Big N , you have messed up big time.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:06 pm

One thing I will ask though, has there been any official confirmation from Nintendo regarding the fact that there were, indeed, only a limited number of CD's? I ask because last night I topped up all my Stars (loads of Nintendo games lying around I'd never bothered registering), and when trying to order something, I had the same error code appear on the address section as I was getting with the CD promotion - which perhaps indicates that the site was throwing up 'errors' whenever people tried getting the CD post 4.30 last night because of a site issue rather than a lack of CD's. Unless I've missed any official word from Nintendo, maybe we're all jumping the gun?