Favourite Shinobi game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

What's your favourite Shinobi game

Shinobi - SMS
15%
Shinobi - PC Engine
4%
Revenge of Shinobi - MD
44%
Shadow dancer - MD
22%
GG Shinobi
4%
GG Shinobi 2
No votes
Super Shinobi 2 - MD
11%
Shin Shinobi Den - Saturn
No votes
Revenge of shinobi - GBA
No votes
Shinobi - PS2
No votes

Total votes: 27

AllYourBase

Favourite Shinobi game

Post by AllYourBase » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:24 pm

Now to me no console has ever really had a true Shinobi game. Nothing can rival the coin-op classic for tight gameplay or 'try-just-one-more-time' gameplay. It was hard, but do-able, if you put the effort in you would progress.

Shinobi on the master system was not the best conversion, it was playable enough but lacked the excitement as it was a lot slower paced, there was even a lifebar which broke the gameplay in my opinion! There were new weapons like whips and the ninja magic system wasn't as good as you had to earn them by doing bonus stages. Good but not worthy!

I will deliberatly ignore Alex Kidd in Shinobi world and woeful cyber-shinobi on the SMS!

The PC Engine version did go some way to correcting the dissapointments from the SMS version, but stages were missing and there were no bonus stages BOO! Again the Shinobi arcade fan is left wanting!

I will skip right over the NES version which came out later on, it was an assault on the eyes and played like the master system version.

We then move on to Revenge of Shinobi on the megadrive, I was really excited to hear this was coming out at the time (just after the console's launch if I recall) - whilst I can appreciate the game for what it was (a brill game!) it was not the Shinobi I had always hoped for.... No rolling thunder style dual platform level layout, this one was much more open, white suit!!, limited shurikens! Revenge of the life-bar (I always liked one-hit and die Shinobi!!) - I forgive the game for having such great music and for the Zeed boss in the nightclub (also spidey, hulk, batman and godzilla bosses which i think may have been removed somehow in the PAL release due to licensing issues!)

Now on we go to Shadow dancer (my secret favourite!!) - the master system version I never played so I can't comment, but the megadrive version was awesome! The C+VG review didn't exactly sing it's praises and Mean Machines didn't even bother to review it!! - but for my money it was way better than it's arcade counterpart, the level design seemed much more old-skool shinobi, it was one-hit and die as well, so it captured the excitement of the original arcade for me, the bonus stage of shooting ninjas while skydiving??! felt reminisant of the originals bonus stage, and the bosses were all fairly cool too. The addition of a dog companion to the game was a good one I thought, there was nothing funnier than launching shinobi-dog only for him to get sliced and reduced to a meer puppy! The earthquake stage really stood out, a awesome conversion if only for the fact it was nothing like the dull coin-op!

GG Shinobi was great fun, rather than just porting the lackluster sms version game gear owners were treated to a range of ninjas with different skills, it felt like shinobi mixed with wonderboy III as you needed to use different skills for different sections, excellent stuff. Quite hard too I recall.

Some don't seem to really get Super Shinobi 2 on the megadrive. Personally I thought it built on the first one by quite a way, by this time I had forgotton the arcade and accepted things were never going to be the same for Shinobi Joe. It would probably rate as my 2nd favourite console Shinobi..... This version added a double-tap dash ala golden axe and could be terminated with a slicing melee attack, very satisfying! Joe could now ride horses and even surf, ok so it was stupid but the whole game just sat together so well, the vibe of the levels works well to, loads of variety. Some huge bosses too, lovely stuff!

I'd like to hear opinions on GG Shinobi 2, Shin Shinobi Den on the saturn, the gba revenge of shinobi and PS2 shinobi - sadly i must confess I have not played these titles..... for me somewhere down the line my interest in the shinobi series failed..... still i found another ninja love with a young Ryu Hayabusa from XBOX ninja gaiden - I didn't really care too much for the coin-op or the NES platformers, but to me the xbox title summed up everything a next-gen shinobi game should have been.

I wonder where the series will go from here.... whats everyones favourite Shinobi then?
Last edited by AllYourBase on Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @dazcalvert

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:31 pm

You missed out Alex Kidd in Shinobi World! Shame on you!

:wink:

AllYourBase

Re:

Post by AllYourBase » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:33 pm

Robbo wrote:You missed out Alex Kidd in Shinobi World! Shame on you!

:wink:
Not true....
AllYourBase wrote: I will deliberatly ignore Alex Kidd in Shinobi world and woeful cyber-shinobi on the SMS!
It is just too dire to be considered alongside the official Shinobi canon! :lol:

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:39 pm

Sorry my fault, it's Saturday night and the beer is starting to take effect. :lol:

How dare you ignore Alex Kidd's second best outing! :wink:

fraser1

Re: Favourite Shinobi game

Post by fraser1 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:39 pm

AllYourBase wrote:
The PC Engine version did go some way to correcting the dissapointments from the SMS version, but stages were missing and there were no bonus stages BOO! Again the Shinobi arcade fan is left wanting!
And he no longer had his close range attacks,WTF!

thl

Post by thl » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:16 pm

This is quite a tricky one. I've enjoyed all the Shinobi games except for Cyber Shinobi which I'd consider it to be the worst of all series.

Although not quite arcade perfect due to 8-bit conversion, Shinobi on the Master System was such a cracking game back then. The only let down was the ending after you defeated the last boss.

The Revenge of Shinobi (aka The Super Shinobi) was magnificent when it was released on the Mega Drive. Graphics are well presented, gameplay was getting better and I particurlarly like the soundtracks in which Yuzo Koshiro composed himself.

drws

Post by drws » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:19 pm

so happy to see Shadow Dancer out in front at this stage. It was definitely overlooked by the mags at the time.
It was the game I got with my MD as a kid, and loved the vertical "statue-of-liberty" level.
And if you complete it you get the Shadow Dancer II start screen, and then complete that and get Shadow Dancer III etc. (Same game, harder difficulty)

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:43 pm

Super Shinobi for me. I can't say I'm actually all that familiar with the rest of the series - I played Shadow Dancer quite a bit and the original game in a few home incarnations, but I got SS with my imported Japanese Megadrive (funded by the sale of my beloved Amiga - one of my most painful regrets in life). To say I was blown away would be an understatement. Super Shinobi is one of those select few games in life that I completely took apart, played to an obsessive degree, mapped, taped the music from and generally worshipped. It's still high on my list of favourites.

AllYourBase

Post by AllYourBase » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:39 pm

I am surprised no one has appeared to defend the mighty Super Shinobi 2 or shinobi III as the west knew it. This always seem much more fluid than the original super shinobi with more fun moves and better levels for exploring.

However the soundtrack was clearly not as good, and it didn't have any unlicensed marvel and DC superheroes this time!! :lol:

Kai

Post by Kai » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:18 am

I liked Revenge of Shinobi a lot!

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:31 am

Shadow Dancer without a doubt.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:26 pm

AllYourBase wrote:I am surprised no one has appeared to defend the mighty Super Shinobi 2 or shinobi III as the west knew it. This always seem much more fluid than the original super shinobi with more fun moves and better levels for exploring.

However the soundtrack was clearly not as good, and it didn't have any unlicensed marvel and DC superheroes this time!! :lol:
Was reading down the comments to see if I could find out why my beloved Shinobi 3 wasn't here , guessd that's why. I liked the way they tried to do different things with the levels, and yes the fluidity of it alone made it so much better than many games out there.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

AllYourBase

Re:

Post by AllYourBase » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:03 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote: Was reading down the comments to see if I could find out why my beloved Shinobi 3 wasn't here , guessd that's why. I liked the way they tried to do different things with the levels, and yes the fluidity of it alone made it so much better than many games out there.
Good man, your eyes are opened to the truth. The fact Joe can now ride a horse and surf is reason alone to give this your vote.

Still in shadow dancer he has a dog that turns into a puppy when hit so it's a tough call !! :P

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:40 pm

AllYourBase wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote: Was reading down the comments to see if I could find out why my beloved Shinobi 3 wasn't here , guessd that's why. I liked the way they tried to do different things with the levels, and yes the fluidity of it alone made it so much better than many games out there.
Good man, your eyes are opened to the truth. The fact Joe can now ride a horse and surf is reason alone to give this your vote.

Still in shadow dancer he has a dog that turns into a puppy when hit so it's a tough call !! :P

That surfing stage has to be one of the best levels ever. Love playing that!!!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:40 am

super shinobi 2 (shinobi 3) was a superb mix of shinobi and strider, 2 of my favourite games of all time. it is awesome, but not 'true' shinobi...

i'll add a shout out to MD shadow dancer, its very enjoyable, and way better than the arcade machine it's based upon. i remember it getting poor reviews at the time of release, and hadn't played it untill a couple of years ago (bought for pennies on ebay)

i've always thought that the MD version of eswat was like the shinobi games in many ways, and is another home conversion that improves on the arcade machine. recommended.

The original arcade shinobi is still the best though.