Duke Nukem Forever...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Crunchy

Re: Duke Nukem Forever...

Post by Crunchy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Space_turnip wrote:... and the humour itself isn't what i'd call 'hilarious', but I guess I coped with it more because it's exactly what I was expecting. I would agree though, the game without the humour would be very average, quite aged and not that interesting.
A bit like Escape From Monkey Island 1 & 2 really. The Duke's in good company.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:00 am

Space_turnip wrote:Gags in DNF are cheesy as hell, quite similar to D3D's (I guffawed at the reference to the masculinity of those who wear Green armour suits when you find the master-chief-a-like suit in a truck)
Yep, an obvious Halo quip. Funny! :lol:

HOWEVER; it was said by a Duke Nukem that has basically ripped off that game. It directly uses Halo's two gun limit AND relies on his self-recharging shield. It also mimics his game style wholesale. Calling Master Chief a censored and then basically cloning his entire game? Yes, Duke. Welcome to sarcasmville. Population: One.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:16 am

@Space_Turnip, ref.Screen tear on 360 version, Ahh-Ha..Not as bad as i was lead to believe then?

Going off sites like Digital Foundary (Quick quote from their look at 360 ver.of the game): '....The antique graphics and gameplay are let down by the terrible fluctuating performance of the game engine and the near-constant screen-tear'.

Last game i bought with bad screen-tear was Ninja Gaiden 2 on PS3

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Played this today and to be honest I'd rather have spent my time licking dogsh!t off nettles.

Its boring waiting for it to load. Its boring sitting through the cutscenes. Its boring to play.

Disappointing.
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

Xyphoe

Post by Xyphoe » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:04 pm

No issues on the PC version, no frame skips or tearing - and to me looks absolutely tremendous in places.

Most of the bad reviews seem to be focussed around the 360 version, so I guess Xbox users - avoid!

PC users? Yea I've had good fun with this one, I have completed the single player already but the top difficulty level is in places (like a few boss battles) insanely hard. The most fun I've had is in the online multiplayer though. More in depth thoughts later.
ImageImage

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:08 pm

I've completed it on 360 and enjoyed it and found it exactly what was to be expected from a Duke Nukem game.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Gamersparadise

Post by Gamersparadise » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:26 am

No quite what I expected, I loved Duke 3D, Duke4ever starts rather slow, big showoff boss, some toiletfun, little climbing, etc until you finally really can shoot and splatter. Well its still Duke, maybe my expections where to high.

One thing bugs me terrible, ( XB360) I see tearing and I get motionsickness after a while playing it.
Its been quite a while ( more years on 3D Shooters like Turok N64 etc ) I got motionsickness, but Duke Forever brings it back
with the little Duke-Retro-Felling as well. Play, enjoy shortly, sell it, no keeper for me, sorry Duky :wink:

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:11 am

I just made a video about it...

http://youtu.be/ndK2DmZIuUc
Xbox Live: RetroBob

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:12 pm

I just watched your video, Retrobob, and i suppose i agree with most of your points. However, the bit with the hanging body and the fire extinguisher gave me no problems at all, I spotted it instantly - which is quite unlike me.
Your beef about pressing X to climb a ladder... dude, just press it... what's the big deal, your fingers are right on top of it. That said, the rest of your vid was pretty much spot on.
The problems with the level design are in the fact that levels are grounded in old school design mind sets and we have moved on such a long way since then, the game is a strange hybrid of old school and 1st gen 360 design. I had terrible trouble with the octo boss on the moving platform, that bugger took me ages to do. But i played through it and pretty much enjoyed it... but, yes, the loading time are absolutely rubbish.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

yasw

Post by yasw » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Well, I must admit I rather enjoyed the game and I am now working on the achievements in the PS3 version. I haven't enjoyed an FPS game like that since the Serious Sam games, and I am really tired of all those military shooters the market is full of today, so some old-school shooting was very much welcome. Though that is probably the main reason I enjoyed the game. In a different time it would likely be more clear that this game has some serious problems. It does some things right - the general shooting action is pretty fun, but also some things horrible like awful loading times and annoying precision jumping sections.
The game tries to be too many things at once. I am not sure if it a self-parody on the Duke Nukem franchise or not. It builds on oldschool shooting action, but uses concepts from modern games like auto-regenerating health and two-gun only setup. It is very fun in places, but it is not a smooth gameplay experience all the way through.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:34 pm

RetroBob wrote:I just made a video about it...

http://youtu.be/ndK2DmZIuUc

Ooh I didn't know you had a channel. Subbed. :)
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:33 am

Played the demo, twas fine, the loading times even there were ridiculous.
Saw it in Gamestop for €7.99, worth a punt?
Destiny!.... you cannot destroy my destiny!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:39 am

I reviewed it on my site earlier this month I also enjoyed the bloody hell outa it.

Apart from the loading times.

Dont see what peoples problems are with it, more new content than most shooters

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:31 am

I think the problem for most people was the fact that even after 12-odd years of development it still looked like a rushed and incomplete game. My guess is the current Devs were under orders to ship it before they could truly explore the License and create a fresh game themselves. So they knew it was a bit of a duffer, but sent it out anyway. Fair play I suppose. Duke has a lot of appeal so I can see their logic.

It's definitely on the Rental list for me, but I'm not bothered to buy it. I seriously doubt anyone is giving it any multiplayer love whatsoever. Should be worth a single player rental knockabout. Even average games work like that.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:55 am

I bought it new for £2.50 on the PS3. All I can say is I got my moneys worth.