Duke Nukem Forever...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Miketendo

Duke Nukem Forever...

Post by Miketendo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:47 am

...can, I suppose, be considered retro gaming :roll:

Has anyone picked it up? How is it? I've heard terrible things, but I've got it pre-ordered and I might pick up Alice: Madness Returns instead.

Crunchy

Re: Duke Nukem Forever...

Post by Crunchy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:52 am

Lots of discussion in second half of this thread:

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=29015

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:04 am

accoridng to this review http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2 ... ensive.ars its a bloody horrible awful offensive insullting blatantly misogynist sad excuse for a game

which sounds about right to me for this turd in disc form

and the publisher has a hissy fit over the negative reviews http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... eviews.ars
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

thelatestmodel

Post by thelatestmodel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:30 am

I'm actually hearing that it's not THAT bad. Decent if you like the humour, but ranging between poor and average if you're not.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:50 pm

I reckon it's certainly a renter, since I've heard tales of people clocking it in about 10 hours. As for Multiplayer there are SO MANY multiplayer FPS's these days that you could fall out of a ten storey building and potentially hit about a hundred of the buggers on the way down.

To be honest though I'd rather people went out and dropped a fiver on Prey. It's superior, and was also in Development Hell since 1995. :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:15 pm

snowkatt wrote:and the publisher has a hissy fit over the negative reviews http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... eviews.ars
The hissy fit wasn't thrown by the publisher (2K Games). It was thrown by their PR company The Redner Group.

2K Games have already announced that they've ditched Redner over this incident.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:26 pm

It was never going to live up to the hype though was it? And since it's been in development for so long, it's bound to be outdated in many areas.

I'm still going to pick it up (was going to this week but couldn't justify the spending) because I don't give a crap about all the 'offensive' content that the Daily Mail would probably love to rant about. It's just a game and a bit of a break from the more serious stuff.

On a slightly-related note, what is this PSP Duke compilation thing I've been hearing about and when is it out?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Despite being poor by modern FPS standards, looks like PS3 version had 'better' coders, has capped frame rate of 30 FPS, unlike uncapped 360 version, which results in far less screen tear and more enjoyable, if Retro exp.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:51 pm

They think its the best game ever on X Box achievement forum, it may be as the achievements are easy, and don't involve online..

I got it from Shoptonet and had a free keyring.. Personnaly I like it a lot, hardly any fighting for the first hour, Duke kind of reminds me of somebody from Youtube or Eastcoasteric.. Some levels have no fighting i.e. the Strip Club, find popcorn and a condom when everybody tells Duke how amazing he is... Strange as I thought it was about blowing things up

I don't think its as impossibly hard as everybody says it is either, well you have to learn the bosses atatck patterns so maybe thats why
Last edited by Shinobi on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Back in 2008 E3, there was a trailer for Duke Nukem:Critical Mass (PSP/DS) 1st in Trilogy of new Duke games, seen nowt since.

UPDATE:Developer Deep Silver said it's been cancelled, is what i've read (Apparently NO loss, as very cut down from what the '08 trailer promised).

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:23 am

thevulture wrote:Back in 2008 E3, there was a trailer for Duke Nukem:Critical Mass (PSP/DS) 1st in Trilogy of new Duke games, seen nowt since.

UPDATE:Developer Deep Silver said it's been cancelled, is what i've read (Apparently NO loss, as very cut down from what the '08 trailer promised).
Critical Mass is available now on the DS . . .its not very good.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:58 am

I'll probably wait for it to drop to about £20 before giving it ago - I owe the Duke that much!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:23 am

Take2 Share prices taken a drop (Lower than expected sales on L.A Noire as well), Eurogamer say they've been blacklisted any other fallout over game being a dissapointment?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:47 am

What do you expect?
LA Noire looks uninteresting to the bloke on the street.
Hed rather be stupid and buy something like a COD subscription

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:52 am

DPrinny wrote:LA Noire looks uninteresting to the bloke on the street.
Thing is though, LA Noire is uninteresting to play too.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........