HD Remakes/Rehashes

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: HD Remakes/Rehashes

Post by thevulture » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:55 am

I bought the HD remake of perfect Dark on 360, as loved original, but it pushed hardware tad too far, played through to last level, dated level design etc took it's toil so never finished it, but still found it a worthy update at a fair price.

Also bought God Of War collection-seemed 6 of 1 (Added trophies, extras etc) and 1/2 dozen of another (Cutscenes were'nt re-mastered so looked out of place).

A lot depends on price-If it's sensible, download only or great VFM as a HD Collection, it's great news.

I'd like 1st Silent Hill and Resident Evil 2 remade in entire new graphics engine, but that's only because i still feel they are of better quality than some of the more modern installments of these franchises.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:56 am

killbot wrote:On the other hand, if MS had incorporated proper backwards compatibility into the 360 then people would be able to buy the original Halo for a couple of pounds and play it happily.
Fun fact: you can.

The remake adds a lot of stuff that wasn't in the original games to bring it up to today's standard. Which is what a remake should be, surely?
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Darth Martious

Post by Darth Martious » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:59 am

Crunchy wrote:
Darth Martious wrote:
Crunchy wrote:Even if Microsoft added full BC they could still sell Halo HD to a decently sized market just by adding Achievements to it. There's nothing lazy about this particular cash-in. It's been planned for ages. Microsoft know it's a goldmine and they're going to mine it. Expect other classic Xbox games to get the same treatment. The choice to buy or not is always with the customer.
Yep and then in 10 years time they'll remake it in Ultra-HD with the Halo blahblah engine. And again 10 years after that. It's the height of laziness to continually regurgitate the same schlock instead of developing entirely new games.
I don't feed trolls mate.
And I'm a troll because? I don't agree with you! Ha.
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to an ASS-KICKING!

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:00 pm

I really fancy some sashimi right now.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:02 pm

:? Thought with 360 architecture being so different from Classic Xbox, MS had to go via software emulation route, if they were making money from 360 owners buying 360 games, new, rather than picking up 2nd hand Xbox titles, why would they want to devote time+resources to expanding those xbox games which did work?

It was a nice feature, if you had 360 with HDD, but never saw it as key selling point of 360 myself.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Halo C.E retail price of £34.99? What MS class as 'Budget'.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:32 pm

thevulture wrote:Halo C.E retail price of £34.99? What MS class as 'Budget'.
anything thats not 60 59 or 62
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:36 pm

Significantly cheaper than full retail but still cheeky by Microsoft. Won't stop the fanboys buying it, of course.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:16 pm

Crunchy wrote:
Significantly cheaper than full retail but still cheeky by Microsoft. Won't stop the fanboys buying it, of course.
Hello :D

Ahem, I think HD remakes are absolutely ace. Play Beyond Good & Evil on the PS2 then play the HD remake and tell me it was a 'quick cash-in'.

It's giving me the chance to play some stellar titles that I missed last gen (like the upcoming Ico & Shadow collection) or it's giving me great value (like the Tomb Raider Trilogy in HD for about a tenner). I don't see how that's a problem

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:17 pm

it wil be a problem if publishers and developers keep on doing it every few years or so for a quick buck
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:21 pm

£34.99, I knew it :)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:49 pm

The Monkey Island updates on XBLA are brilliant (and you can always switch to the original at the push of a button, fabulous stuff!)

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:46 pm

I really like them. Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, Outrun 2 (admittedly not a *true* remake but 'HD' compared to the Xbox version), Perfect Dark, I think they're a really nice way to reinvigorate and re-enjoy older games that may be starting to feel a little rancid. SSF2HDR is a wonderful 'rehash' and a game I have played loads and loads of times. Not sure about R-Type Dimensions though, from the demo seems like they've just 2.5'd the original game and it seems pretty pricy for the addition of textured polygons (still think the original is perfect, aesthetically). As for paying £34.99 for an HD rehash of Halo, then I probably wouldn't but wouldn't be angry about it, I'd just play something else instead.

The best of these games always tend to end up in the XBLA sales, anyway, and the £2-£4 they usually cost is pretty piddling (and very much worth it). Even a game going for £34.99 will eventually drop in price to something more acceptable, especially if it's going to be a physical release.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:24 am

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo: HDR is certainly an improvement on the original - not only can you play online, but they also introduced an important gameplay addition - the inclusion of insta-drop by pressing up. Took the speed of an already fast game to new levels.

Not all remakes are roses though - I thought the Bubble Bobble remake was terrible, for instance - rushed, no enhancements, awful HD graphics (that were untogglable) - overall, just a lazy cash-in. Funnily, I thought Taito did a pretty decent job with Arkanoid.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:28 am

I really like HD remakes also. The Serious Sam upscales on XBLA are my current faves and I am solid in my anticipation for the upcoming Ico/Shadow re makes. I think HD remakes give people a chance to play old games they loved or missed the first time round with added bonuses. If you don't like em, don't buy em. Simples.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD