HD Remakes/Rehashes

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Re: HD Remakes/Rehashes

Post by crusto » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:17 pm

I think hd remakes are great. But its a case of each to their own isnt it, no one has to buy them. I would love to see ff7 running at 720/1080p with a platinum trophy for beating emerald weapon! And some bonus areas etc etc thrown in. The same with ff9 (but keep 8 on the scrapheap!!)

And I would love to see the original Phantsay Star series given the same treatment. They could be done so well given todays technology. Imagine what Camineet from PS 1 would look like now designed from the ground up? Fantastic ill bet. Add in some refinements to the battle system and make the games more efficient where needed and Sega could easily appeal to a brand new audience as well as its old one. And they could probably command a close to full retail price given the scope of the games (hopefully not) Just as long as the originals are bundled in with them.

And imagine Buck Rogers countdown to doomsday, that game would rise like a phoenix given a lick of paint and some expansion. A fantastic game that would take massive advantage of todays technology. There are that many games I would love to see redone that I couldnt possibly list them tbh.

There is so much potential in the past imo, companies should look inward more often. Development costs should be lowered and success may be easier to achieve.

Eat your nans pants

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:26 pm

Yup I gotta agree that all of the ones I have purchased I've really enjoyed.
God of War collection, Wipeout HD (not strictly the same thing I grant), Prince of Persia Trilogy.
Will deffo be buying Splinter Cell Trilogy, Silent Hill 2&3 and any Resi games they are gonna do.
Was a bit perplexed by the Tomb Raider HD pack, were they not HD to start with? (Legend, Anniversary & Underworld?)

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:54 am

I would love to see a current-gen version of GTA: San Andreas. You could sense the PS2 was creaking with that game and I'd love to be able to experience it again with graphics that lived up to the developers' massive ambitions.

Although, if the rumours are to be believed, Rockstar may well be setting their next GTA game on the West Coast... so we might get to play as CJ again after all! ;)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:41 am

I like remakes so long as they are lavished with enough care and attention, it can make game worth buying even if you own the original. I personally think Nintendo are doing a good job bringing over classic N64 games to the 3DS, Zelda was very impressive, not only was it entirely redrawn with much smoother animations/frame frate but the 3D added a lot to the game I thought. Star Fox is looking like it's going to be on the same kinda level. I wish MS would actually start a line of HD remakes like Sony has done with PS3, there are plenty of classic Xbox games I'd love to see updated in HD with improved frame-rates, achievements etc

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:10 am

The 2 O.T.O.G.I games, both of The Suffering games, All 4 Project Zero/Fatal Frame games, Battle Engine Aqullia and Call Of Cthulhu are titles i'd love to see get the HD treatment.

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:34 am

I've never played an HD remake as of yet, but I'll definitely get round to Beyond Good and Evil and I'll undoubtedly get the two Resi HD updates that are on the way. With Resi 4 it's hard to get excited, it's way too recent a game to need a new lick of paint when the old one's barely dried yet. Code V. will no doubt benefit and it's a great game so I'd love to play that in HD.

But why no Resi 2 :cry:

I think remakes on the whole are pretty cool and I get excited about them, and there are tons of games that would not only benefit from a remake in the artistic way, but games like FFVII and Resi 2 would surely sell like HD hot cakes.
Chazz it up!!!

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:27 am

C=Style wrote:I wish MS would actually start a line of HD remakes like Sony has done with PS3, there are plenty of classic Xbox games I'd love to see updated in HD with improved frame-rates, achievements etc
I don't particularly object to remakes but sticking it on a box and selling it for £35 seems... cheeky. Should be a £10 download. Unless of course it was massively overhauled. When GoldenEye came out on the Wii I nearly didn't buy it because I had the N64 version and didn't feel that paying £40 for the same game with better graphics made sense. When I finally did buy it I realised I'd been wrong - it was almost entirely a new game that only had a few similar set pieces. If Halo turns out to be like that it could justify the asking price.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:23 am

killbot wrote: I don't particularly object to remakes but sticking it on a box and selling it for £35 seems... cheeky. Should be a £10 download. Unless of course it was massively overhauled. When GoldenEye came out on the Wii I nearly didn't buy it because I had the N64 version and didn't feel that paying £40 for the same game with better graphics made sense. When I finally did buy it I realised I'd been wrong - it was almost entirely a new game that only had a few similar set pieces. If Halo turns out to be like that it could justify the asking price.
It won't turn out like that as it's the same game but it's still definitely worth more than a £10 download imho. With Halo it's a bit like Zelda OoT on 3DS, both are classic games and Halo Anniversary is certainly seeing more than just simple upscale job, it's being fully redrawn in 1080p. It will also feature online multiplayer/co-op for the first time which was only possible before via LAN. That's a pretty big deal considering many people regard the fist Halo as being the best in the series still.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:31 am

So, from consumer point of view, what do folks on here is the 'magic' price bracket for HD remakes?.By this, i'm looking at:

Single games, remade, DL only for example N64 Perfect Dark remake on 360.
3D Remakes such as Zelda, Starfox, Metal Gear Solid:Snake Eater on 3DS.
HD Compiliations:such as God Of War, Splinter Cell, PSP remakes etc.

Taking into account the amount of work involved in them, what do people see as fair pricing?.Has MS got it 'right' with it's 'budget' price for Halo? Just curious as to how these games are viewed in todays climate.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:37 am

thevulture wrote:So, from consumer point of view, what do folks on here is the 'magic' price bracket for HD remakes?.By this, i'm looking at:

Single games, remade, DL only for example N64 Perfect Dark remake on 360.
3D Remakes such as Zelda, Starfox, Metal Gear Solid:Snake Eater on 3DS.
HD Compiliations:such as God Of War, Splinter Cell, PSP remakes etc.

Taking into account the amount of work involved in them, what do people see as fair pricing?.Has MS got it 'right' with it's 'budget' price for Halo? Just curious as to how these games are viewed in todays climate.
About a fiver each :wink: .

Personally, I thought paying £20 for the GoW collection was good value for money. But If i'd paid any more I would be asking why the cut scenes weren't remastered. I think on the whole £20 is a fair price. But if a game is built again from the ground up then maybe I would be prepared to pay more if it was a title like ff7 or something. But its rare for me nowadays to pay full price for anything. I normally always wait until its discounted, or I just buy pre-owned.

Eat your nans pants

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:46 am

Good post Crusto-Must admit the cutscenes on G.O.W HD collection did look out of place, compared to rest of the game.

Reason i ask about pricing:we find ourselves seemingly in era when on 1 hand, folks willing to find money to shell out on a S.E ver.of a new release or indeed console, say Starwars themed 360, but on flip side, people saying games are too expensive, having grown used to iPhone games or modding hardware and getting titles for free.

I've found a good few PSN/XBLA games far better value than stuff i've paid £40 for at retail and with MS admitting the average price of XBLA games has crept up in recent years, wondering if there's a 'line' folks won't cross for remakes, when new, but rather wait till price drops to aceptable level.

Just musing here on a sunny afternoon. :D

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:49 pm

It's the perfect way for me to finally get to play some gamesI never got into, like the Sly collection and such. I really hope Crapcom gets its censored together and releases Onimusha, Devil May Cry, etc so I can finally get to play those games.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:25 pm

harlequ1n wrote:It's the perfect way for me to finally get to play some gamesI never got into, like the Sly collection and such. I really hope Crapcom gets its censored together and releases Onimusha, Devil May Cry, etc so I can finally get to play those games.
Loved the Onimusha series, DMC? loved 1st, 3rd, 2nd was weak, 4th...some good, some bad.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Here's some new footage of Halo Anniversary showing off some of it's new features, it's really impressive I think. Be sure to watch it in 720p.

<link>

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Shall we all petition Sega to remake the entire Phantasy star series from the ground up? I know some were done for the ps2 in Japan but so what.

Eat your nans pants