What Retro Console Do You Enjoy Collecting For The Most?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

scorpionatthepc

What Retro Console Do You Enjoy Collecting For The Most?

Post by scorpionatthepc » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Simple question really. I enjoy collecting for the atari 2600 the most mainly because it was the 1st console I owned back in the early 1980's. I think I have got all the games in my collection now what I used to own back then. I remember owning pressure cooker back in the 80's and couldn't play it proper because I only had a black and white tv in my bedroom back then so putting the hamburgers in the correct coloured slots was abit of a nightmare back then.

I also like the different cartridge designs for the atari 2600 too. From your stackable activision carts to you cheap n nasty M network carts. Just won a 'double header' cart for the 2600 on ebay so thats another design for my collection. :mrgreen:

The Laird

Re: What Retro Console Do You Enjoy Collecting For The Most?

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Good question and a hard one to answer. I am going to have to say the Jaguar for a number of reasons.

1. The boxes look friggin cool
2. Its pretty easy to have a complete collection (like I have :P )
3. It holds a lot of nostalgia for me and is still one of my favourite consoles.
4. There are still new games coming out for it
5. I am a massive Atari fanboy :lol:

dste

Post by dste » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Would have to be the Super Nintendo as not only is it my favourite console but it's always great when I finally find a game that I've been after and it's complete and in great condition.

Such a joy finding them.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:21 pm

dste wrote:Would have to be the Super Nintendo as not only is it my favourite console but it's always great when I finally find a game that I've been after and it's complete and in great condition.

Such a joy finding them.
I've been tempted to sell mine. I have to admit I haven't bought any new games for it since you sent it on to me but SNES prices are crazy at the moment and the RPG's will forever be expensive. Might just get the Mario and Zelda games on GBA and be done with it?

I don't really collect for any specific console to be honest. I just buy things for what I have and if I don't like the games in question then I sell them straight on again. The biggest collection I have is probably the (non-retro) PS2 with about 130-140 games.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:34 pm

My top 5 consoles to have enjoyed collecting games for would probably be,

1. Jaguar
2. Lynx
3. PC Engine
4. Vectrex
5. WonderSwan
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:39 pm

the saturn
quite a lot of games and quite a few quirky titles too and i like quirky

the dreamcast for some reason the machine and its games are dirt dirt cheap
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Right now, the Wonderswan. I love the console itself, its got some great English friendly titles and its easy to find games for it in good condition. Also having fun tracking down some of the more elusive titles for it. I just wish i knew Japanese so that i could play the vast amount of RPG's available for it. *Sigh*

Currently trying to find a copy of Final Lap Special. Ive never once seen it online.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

happyguy151

Post by happyguy151 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:54 pm

For me at the moment it is the Megadrive followed by the Master System/Dreamcast.
The Megadrive is my favourite retro console of all time. I have so many great childhood memories and there is a huge library of great games that stand the test of time: Sonics, Streets Of Rage, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Strike series, Road Rash, Gunstar Heroes, Rocket Knight Adventures, Ecco, Zombies, Bomberman, Disney Trilogy, Micro Machines and countless others.

The Master System I have a lot of affection for as it was my first console, such great memories playing Alex Kidd and being really frustrated with it, but I kept being persistant until I eventually beat it.
I got Sonic for my Birthday and it blew me away and to this very day I am still a Sonic fan.
Then at Christmas I got Castle Of Illusion and Moonwalker.

The Dreamcast I have a soft spot for because of its quality games and of its legacy of being Sega's final hardware.
The Dreamcast was the first hardware I ever got at launch with Sonic Adventure and Sega Rally 2 and I was blown away,
Shortly after I got Power Stone, House Of The Dead 2 and Soul Calibur.
I did my part and at least got 3 of my friends to buy Dreamcasts

I collect games for a variety of other consoles like Saturn, Mega CD, Nes, Snes, 3do, Jag etc but these 3 are my favourites to collect for at the moment.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:01 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:Currently trying to find a copy of Final Lap Special. Ive never once seen it online.
Ditto. :(
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:12 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
ShadowNeku wrote:Currently trying to find a copy of Final Lap Special. Ive never once seen it online.
I literally check everyday. I thought for sure id see at least one copy pop up but it seems impossible!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:02 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
I literally check everyday. I thought for sure id see at least one copy pop up but it seems impossible!
You're keen! I've only checked once every few months. The only other WonderSwan games that I still would love to own that I don't already have are Tetris and Rainbow Islands: Putty's Party. Both are always listed for prices above which I'm prepared to pay for a WonderSwan game.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:47 am

For me it has to be:

1) 3DO
2) XBox
3) Megadrive

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:57 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:You're keen! I've only checked once every few months. The only other WonderSwan games that I still would love to own that I don't already have are Tetris and Rainbow Islands: Putty's Party. Both are always listed for prices above which I'm prepared to pay for a WonderSwan game.
Tetris is a bit much. I think theres somebody listing a copy for about £30 on Ebay atm which is fairly reasonable in comparison to the others out there.
I got Rainbow Islands for pretty cheap, not realising that it was missing its manual. Suprisingly it didnt bother me too much!

And i do check for other games too to see if i can score my other Wonderswan wants at an affordable price.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Haven't been collecting that long for it, but the Amiga CD32. 26 games out of about 125 so far.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Only just started collecting for the PC engine but will only be picking up shooters and the good platformers.

I actually like that the games aren't too cheap other wise I'll just do what I did with my Famicom and buy loads and not appreciate it.