Final Fantasy VII

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroMartin

Re: Final Fantasy VII

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:56 pm

CIH wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I remember hating that snow level and getting lost for ages in it. The Alexander summon materia didn't really seem like much of a consolation :lol: . Much preferred the OTT epicness of the three Bahamut summons.

Did anybody else also really enjoy the Fort Condor strategy thing?
Yeah I hated the whole ice area too. :( The area just before the City of the Ancients was handy for some level-upping tho (forget the phase).
You mean the bit before bone village, or the bit after you get the lunar harp and are wandering through the all of 3 or 4 screens before you get back to the world map?

Off course DEFINITELY needs to stay in, I always loved that one. What got me though was that there was so much useless crap in the game, yet that only happens in RPG's with item limits.....FF7 had unlimited inventory space...so it seemed really rather silly to be honest! I mean what was the point in getting a replica Sephiroth's blade? Or a super sweeper? or 1/35 soldiers (one excellent rumour that sadly was just a rumour was they were to go on display in the villa you buy in costa del sol....literally as figurines to look at, even that woulda been cool.)

PSN username - MartinPhantom

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:41 pm

RetroMartin wrote:I mean what was the point in getting a replica Sephiroth's blade? Or a super sweeper? or 1/35 soldiers (one excellent rumour that sadly was just a rumour was they were to go on display in the villa you buy in costa del sol....literally as figurines to look at, even that woulda been cool.)
Dont forget the "Tissue" consolation prize for being a failure at the arena :D
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:08 am

ShadowNeku wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:I mean what was the point in getting a replica Sephiroth's blade? Or a super sweeper? or 1/35 soldiers (one excellent rumour that sadly was just a rumour was they were to go on display in the villa you buy in costa del sol....literally as figurines to look at, even that woulda been cool.)
Dont forget the "Tissue" consolation prize for being a failure at the arena :D
Oh I hadn't forgotten, I think that was probably the one duff item that was actually always intended to be a duff item - just to b*tch slap you in the face for failing! :lol:

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:14 am

In Japan it is commonplace to hand out tissues with adverts on them. It is a nod to that.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Mozza

Post by Mozza » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:31 am

I've just played it through again. I complete it once a year or so. I love it beyond belief.

I cannot bring myself to knock it, or view it in some other less favourable light. It was my first RPG, and it grabbed me by my under-age bollocks and pulled them down. To those who think it has dated, you're wrong. You've dated. You're looking at it through the desaturating lenses of adulthood, sapping all the lifestream out of it, because, well, you feel you are better than it. I wouldn't say we look back with rose-tinted spectacles. I played loads of other games around the same time and correctly identified them as sub-par.

Stories in games across the board are full of holes. There's a reason they don't make Stephen King Novels into games. FFVII's story is great. I can't think of any other game than did that to me. More-so the feel. Just sitting on the cable car ride thing at Gold Saucer was a treat for the soul. Taking Aeris or Tifa on a date felt like a real event. I really felt a part of the sprawling magical world. The atmosphere of Gold Saucer was electric! And you look back, and there's hardly any people at the place. The queues were shorter than those at Alton Towers at least, but how did they achieve it? God only knows. They planted seeds in your imagination with a primary colour here, a blip blip arcade machine noise in the music here, and some guy outside saying it was worth it (or at least enough to justify the 3000 gil entrance fee, yipes). They captured the atmosphere of Vegas and sapped out all of the grime and concentrated it into the Coral Desert Prison below.

Before this reply gets out of hand, I'm gonna turn this into a blog article instead. Anyway. I bloody LOVE Final Fantasy VII. It is one of the cornerstones of my own soul. Glad to see so many like-minded voices on here. I guess I love you too now. I must do. You've suckered me in.
Last edited by Mozza on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://lee-morris.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... yprus.html - Some interesting stuff about Safe-houses in Resident Evil 4, Gameboy game trading, Emo fringes, parallel worlds in the Zelda series, prisons in games, gaming statistics.

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:37 am

Didn't care for VII at all. IV was always my favorite. I'm just now getting into IX, it's not that bad, though.

Mozza

Post by Mozza » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:42 am

IV's got a massive place in my heart. I loved the Land of Dwarves. The first time you wind up down there I was like 'where eez dish? I confuso'. The music was great down there too. Riding over a sea of lava on a little boat was a treat for the senses. I have to acquire the DS version ASAP!!
http://lee-morris.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... yprus.html - Some interesting stuff about Safe-houses in Resident Evil 4, Gameboy game trading, Emo fringes, parallel worlds in the Zelda series, prisons in games, gaming statistics.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:54 am

Mozza wrote:To those who think it has dated, you're wrong. You've dated. You're looking at it through the desaturating lenses of adulthood
I was an adult when I first played it. The graphics alone have dated horribly. It's stupid pretending otherwise. The game has been surpassed in all things except your initial enjoyment of it. The way people forgive a game its faults simply because of nostalgia can be truly epic at times. At least I know your blog isn't worth a read. Thanks for that at least.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:05 am

The graphics have indeed dated, far more than something like Zelda III. That said it really doesn't matter if you use the right setup, PSP or a smallish CRT.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Mozza

Post by Mozza » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:24 am

There's no point denying yourself nostalgia. If it wasn't for you that's fine. The graphics were surpassed almost instantly. Of course they were. As was every game of that generation with every new generation. That's not an issue, its an old game. Always baffles me when the likes of the IGN team look upon games made in 1997 scathingly, as though they ought to have been another few years ahead of their time on top of what they already were. I don't feel the gameplay experience has dated at all.

Mozza

Post by Mozza » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:55 am

...and I'm not such a cynic that I'd let a few niggling faults deter me from enjoying a game. The game's minor flaws did not impede my enjoyment of the game then, and they still don't now. I can see how bad the graphics are clear as day, the first Duke Nukem and Doom games look like a total pile' now as well. What's the point in taking that into consideration though? I generally prefer to hear of someone's subjective experience as opposed to judging a game on objective technicality. I am willfully deciding to do this, and am not contesting that many other games are 'better', because they are, by your definition.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:20 am

Mozza wrote:I generally prefer to hear of someone's subjective experience as opposed to judging a game on objective technicality. I am willfully deciding to do this, and am not contesting that many other games are 'better', because they are, by your definition.
Then why open your post with an immediate criticism of anybody who doesn't share your subjective view? Claiming their own subjective view is wrong (and for a very badly thought out reason indeed) before launching into your own gushing fanboy praise. Why not just post about your enjoyment of the game and how you feel about it without referencing anybody who might think otherwise? There's no need for it.

And realise that some gamers judge games in the context of the whole, no excuses are made for the past. If they can play it now it's judged against other games that can be played now. Which includes games that came before and after. Some games stand the test of time and some don't. This is still a subjective view rather than an objective one.

Mozza

Post by Mozza » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:59 am

Fair kop. It was a defensive pre-emptive strike at the thought of being labelled a fan-boy. A comment that perhaps should have been directed elsewhere and expressed in a different way.

I am a total fan-boy. I'll be the first to admit that my own opinion of the game is biased and invalid. You've got to have something to cling to though. Personal favourites and things that you are happy to be associated with. I don't think it matters what it is. It could be a tattered old teddy bear that was of poor quality on the day of release. I dread to imagine what I'd make of Final Fantasy VII if I played it now, having never played it when I was younger, now with a much more cynical disposition.

-But I see what you're saying. I don't think excuses should be made for the past either. I've bought many a cheap second-hand PS2 game that I have no sentimental value attached to, only to play it once and never return to it, despite it being considered a good quality title on release. I don't feel though its valid to attack these games. Its the scathing tone of IGN magazine towards older titles I disagree with.

Out of interest, what games do you feel have stood the test of time?

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:24 pm

End of the day guys.....if you like it you like it, if you don't, you don't. It's all good. World would be sh*te if we all loved the same things. Don't think I could take 6 billion Take That fans or something ¬_¬.

FF7 will always be a 10/10 game for me....but graphically it still is a tad iffy, always was to be honest!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Graphically it's not very good at all. Even if you run it through the PS2's texture smoothing option it's still pretty hard on the eyeballs. It doesn't help that the pre-rendered backgrounds are in such a low resolution either. Plus the models aren't that good to begin with.

BUT: I did play it three times in a row on PS1, without changing games. And I played and completed the PC version when I managed to get it. I estimate that's about 300 solid hours in total. All told it's the longest I've ever played a videogame for. World of Warcraft is the only exception.

I tried to do the whole "Final Fantasy Marathon" last year. I bought FF1 & 2 Dawn of Souls for GBA, FF3 and 4 on DS, FF5 on GBA (since there's no DS version yet?) FF8 & 9 on PS1, FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII on PS2. Time pressures meant I had to quit about 1/3 way through FF1.

I'm going to track down the US version of FFVII (I have the PC versions of FFVII and FFVIII which I might mod up if I can't.) I skipped FFXI and FFXIV (The online ones. They suck your life for little reward) and I've yet to buy FFXIII for Xbox 360. It's probably on the list though, even though most people have said it's a very slow starter.

So, I like Final Fantasy. :lol:

Is it an RPG series? I'd struggle and call it an RPG-Lite. Or typical J-RPGs I suppose. That's not to say they're bad games, because otherwise I wouldn't have paid money for them!

Off-and-on I've played about 40% of the series on it's natural formats, so the move to make the most of them available for the mobile format (barring robbing them off the internet for emulation on my PSP) is very nice. The little graphical polish they're given also helps too, if I'm being completely honest. I'd much rather play the GBA version of FF1 than the surprisingly un-enjoyable NES original, for instance. I've also read guides on how to rip my PS1 discs to PSP format for easy portable play too. So that's all sorted! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.