Final Fantasy VII

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fred83

Final Fantasy VII

Post by Fred83 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:38 pm

One of my fave games.An moving moment in playstation history as it was due for an N64 release.But was switched at last moment.Often appears in the top greatest games of all time.I admit its being a while since i played it.It was engrossing storyline and gameplay.Like marmite you either hated or loved it.The random battles being a gripe with many players.Since it was a best seller it can be picked up reasonably cheap.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowkatt

Re: Final Fantasy VII

Post by snowkatt » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:59 pm

like it always have
even if its not age particulairly well and the story was and still is confusing to say the least the ending made no real sense
its in fact the only ff so far i really like
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:15 pm

The greatest game of all time (for me)
Yeah im a VII fanboy. It was the first Final Fantasy game id played and nothing has matched it since. I loved the materia customization system that allowed you to combo certain stuff together, and levelling them up to access new skills was addictive.

As always, a brilliant soundtrack from Nobuo Uematsu and a beautifully imaginative game world.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:21 pm

VIII is my personal favourite but I played VII afterwards and still loved it regardless. It took me a while to get used to the 'Popeye' character models after VIII's more realistic approach but I was soon forgetting about such trivial things and enjoying the storyline, characters and amazing music.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Darth Martious

Post by Darth Martious » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:23 pm

I had very fond memories of FFVII, right up to a couple of years ago when I tried re-playing it. What I remembered as a deeply involved story seemed both childishly simplistic and by turns confusing and nonsensical. What I first thought was a complex and open world, now seemed scripted and linear. What I took to be a deep, engaging combat system seemed rudimentary and basic. In short I realised what I was playing was nothing much more complicated than an interactive movie.

I got about 5-6 hours in on my second play through and gave up. It's one instance where I wish I'd left my rose-tinted glasses on!
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to an ASS-KICKING!

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:39 pm

a great epic game,the first ff i played and the one i enjoyed the most i'm currently playing XIII but it's not a spot on VII.i bought it and raved to my brother about how good it was but he kept saying i don't like rpg's then watched me playing it and kept asking to borrow it got fed up with waiting and bought his own copy ,he's bought almost every version since so it helped convert him too.
i also have crisis core which is a pretty good game if a little on the easy side but it does help the story line to almost make sense,almost.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Urban myth has it as the most returned videogame of all time.

Loved it myself, even the random battles did'nt kill my love for it, breeding gold bird so i could get the Knights Of The 9? Magic was bit of a chore, but perserverance paid off.Never taken to a F.F game to the same degree since.

Loved Crisis Core (PSP) though.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:17 pm

I have tried to like it, but like most JRPGs I just find it dull. At the time I was taken in by its visuals at least, but now their sheen has gone I can accept that its just not for me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:09 pm

thevulture wrote:Urban myth has it as the most returned videogame of all time.

Loved it myself, even the random battles did'nt kill my love for it, breeding gold bird so i could get the Knights Of The 9? Magic was bit of a chore, but perserverance paid off.Never taken to a F.F game to the same degree since.

Knights of the Round :wink:
Otherwise Ian only repeat your sentiments.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Borrowed it back in '98/'99....didn't understand how the game worked, the ATB was alien and I thought I had to button mash to make the bar go faster....got used to it quite quick but was plagued by a freezing issue and disk 1 NEVER LOADING unless I put in disk 2 or 3 then swapped TO disk 1.....

However I stuck with it as it was fun and it was one of my favourite games EVER for a LONG time. The above issues stopped plaguing me after a while and the game was just easier.

Never had much of an issue with understanding the story....its easy...then again I pick up on things RIDICULOUSLY easily...missus hates me for that!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:57 pm

I think people returned it in their droves because they had no idea what to expect. All they saw were adverts practically EVERYWHERE (giant billboard ads for God's sake!) and so they just "knew" they had to have it.

For me it'll always be a great game. I played it three times in a row at about 70-80 hours each time. It's an amazing game, even still. I do have a few complaints about it though:

1. It's a very slow game to get going. I remember playing it for about an hour and a half and thinking "censored me, this is boring." You couldn't even SAVE the game for a few hours. :roll:
2. A punishing save system. The game expected you to play for hours on end, hoping for a save point. It got even worse during FFVIII as some Save Points were bloody HIDDEN! And you had to equip an Ability to find them! :roll:
3. Random. Battles. Every. Two. Seconds. You either love 'em or hate 'em, but there's no getting away from them. I've heard tales of Japanese gamers obsessively levelling up on random mobs before even starting the main questline, and to be honest I can fully believe them.

Final Fantasy games usually seem to have a way to reduce these encounters, or remove them entirely (via skills, abilities and Materia etc) but removing these also drastically slows your levelling speed, and in a game that has the usual "You must be at least Lv35 to kill this Boss" gameplay it's not really a clever thing to do. It's mostly for the end-capped players to stop them getting annoyed.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:01 pm

A game that made a lasting impression on me. I once worked with a bloke of such evil gitness that even years after playing FFVII I always had the Sephiroth music playing in my head whenever he entered the room.

Choco Billy is at number two in my top ten of game characters I'd track down and kill if I ever got zapped into the game grid by the MCP out of Tron. Anybody who has gone for Knights Of the Round using the chocobo route knows what I'm talking about here. The cheerfully casual way he tells you the chocobo you've caught is sh1t. The number of times he gets to do it. Die Choco Billy die.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:09 pm

CIH wrote:
thevulture wrote:Urban myth has it as the most returned videogame of all time.

Knights of the Round :wink:
Otherwise Ian only repeat your sentiments.
:lol: I must of been thinking of Python and 'We're knights of the round table' and thinking, can't have been knights of the round in F.F 7.

Cheers for sorting out my very hazy memory, man, been years since i played this game.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Crunchy wrote:A game that made a lasting impression on me. I once worked with a bloke of such evil gitness that even years after playing FFVII I always had the Sephiroth music playing in my head whenever he entered the room.

Choco Billy is at number two in my top ten of game characters I'd track down and kill if I ever got zapped into the game grid by the MCP out of Tron. Anybody who has gone for Knights Of the Round using the chocobo route knows what I'm talking about here. The cheerfully casual way he tells you the chocobo you've caught is sh1t. The number of times he gets to do it. Die Choco Billy die.
:lol: Woah, little trap door in my mind opened reading that, hell yes, i'd wipe the grin off that f*ckers face, choco hunting became like bloody catch phrase-It's good, but it's not the 1.

Anyone else recal the uproar by Nintendo fans when news broke this was coming to Playstation, not N64 due to Nintendo going cartridge over CD route, as storage medium?

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:18 pm

thevulture wrote:Anyone else recal the uproar by Nintendo fans when news broke this was coming to Playstation, not N64 due to Nintendo going cartridge over CD route, as storage medium?
Was a bolt out of the blue,nice article on n64 game- http://lostlevels.org/200510/