What are the rarest PS2 games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RareGameHunter

What are the rarest PS2 games?

Post by RareGameHunter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:03 am

I've been thinking about what really constitutes a rare game, these are my thoughts below on my PS2 collection, does anyone know of a game rarer than Rule of Rose?

You'll have several different layers of rare for PS2

Desirable
Games with big print runs, not actually rare but gamers will hold onto them and push the price up.
Example: Any Final Fantasy/Metal Gear Solid games, there are tons of them out there but you'll have to fork out a bit for a sealed version

Rare and desirable
These games didn't have the biggest print run and were also good games or a popular franchise. Most of these will cost more than there original price if you find a sealed copy, they are also likely to rise in price, even unsealed, over the coming years. The great thing about these games is they're still available "out in the wild". I have a number of copies of ICO, Shadow and all the below purchased from
Example: ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Persona, Odin Sphere, Mana Khemia etc.

Very Rare
These games for some reason or another had really limited print runs. Some companies will be very risk averse when shipping in PAL region games, they would rather sell-out than have a warehouse full of games. Another reason could be a special edition of a game, which may only be limited to say 1000. Finding one of these out in the wild is really exciting but very very rare.
Examples: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (Limited Edition) only released in limited quantities and highly desirable means paying around £150 for this one. Space Channel 5: Part 2 had a ridiculously low print run and the fact that there was no release in America means the PAL version is the only one where we can enjoy the Michael Jackson weirdness.

Ultra Rare
These are the games you shouldn't own. They were banned, unreleased or just prototypes. This is what I collect for and love reading and researching about. There is a great guy called assembler who dedicates a youtube channel and forum to this, well worth watching. As for the PS2 Ultra Rare games the rarest in my view would be Rule of Rose UK PAL version. This game was banned in the UK and I've only seen it on ebay twice (which cost me £600). It's easy to get hold of a French/USA/Japanese copy, but for some reason only a few (5-6) copies made it to UK shelves. It's a horror game released in 2009 by Atlus and to my knowledge is the Holy Grail of PS2 gaming. But there still life in the PS2 yet and time for more games to be unreleased and banned.

jdanddiet

Re: What are the rarest PS2 games?

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:07 am

Welcome, interesting first post but not sure why you are asking us, you seem to know already :wink:

By the way my local Cex has MGS Subsistence for £45.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

RareGameHunter

Post by RareGameHunter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:17 am

Just really wondered if theres anything rarer than Rule of Rose, PS2 rare lists seem to change all the time with reprints, new games etc.

£45 sounds good, where is your local cex?

Thanks!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:24 am

Space Channel 5 is a strange one. I picked up the US limited edition for pennies an that contains both parts yet the pal part 2 goes for good money.

For rare pal titles, Hydrox is clues up on that topic.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:40 am

You seriuously over paid for Rule of Rose, yes it was banned, but didn't 505 release a statement and pay a fine to bbfc for releasing the game. The game was actually sent out to retailers before it was banned, much like a couple of ps games i own. However, 505 were fined due to an estimated 15% of copies sent out were not returned within the UK. Morrisons were one of the retailers that were unable to send back all games. (Source Play magazine issue xx - will find the issue in a bit, again i think opsm2 covered this too)

I'm not going to list the real rares though, as sadly they only come up once a year and a few of them I don't have yet 8)

There are plenty of cr@p ps2 games taht are very rare though, midas, wanadoo, Essential Games, PlayIT, Zoo, AgeTec, Pheonix, Xplosiv and Davilex all host quite a few whcih againw ill only come up once or so a year.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:53 am

RareGameHunter wrote:£45 sounds good, where is your local cex?

Thanks!
You can buy 12 copies online plus a load more stores have it. Not exactly rare IMO.

http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=4012927029794

It goes for cheaper than that on ebay, £30-40 so really got no idea where you have got £150 from.

EDIT: I see you mention "limited edition" so don't know whether this is another version.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:24 pm

RareGameHunter wrote:There is a great guy called assembler who dedicates a youtube channel and forum to this, well worth watching. As for the PS2 Ultra Rare games the rarest in my view would be Rule of Rose UK PAL version. This game was banned in the UK and I've only seen it on ebay twice (which cost me £600). It's easy to get hold of a French/USA/Japanese copy, but for some reason only a few (5-6) copies made it to UK shelves. It's a horror game released in 2009 by Atlus and to my knowledge is the Holy Grail of PS2 gaming. But there still life in the PS2 yet and time for more games to be unreleased and banned.
As much as I love the website, assembler himself is pretty up himself. He overvalues everything. He has some nice stuff mind. Got it all when Acclaim shut shop I think.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:44 pm

As people said, Rule of Rose isn't THAT rare, even the UK version. I'm not going to name specific titles here as I still need a few of them myself but generally the 505 stuff is rare but the Essential Games releases are even rarer. I'm going to name "Buccaneer" as an example as I own that one ;)

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:46 pm

hydr0x wrote:As people said, Rule of Rose isn't THAT rare, even the UK version. I'm not going to name specific titles here as I still need a few of them myself but generally the 505 stuff is rare but the Essential Games releases are even rarer. I'm going to name "Buccaneer" as an example as I own that one ;)
so do i 8)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Rule of Rose wasn't banned in the UK.

There was a completely misleading media kerfuffle in the red tops that led to hysteria that included some of the major retails chains saying they wouldn't stock it, so the publisher pulled it. No point fighting a distribution chain that didn't want to sell their game.

At no point was it banned by any of the bodies that govern such things, as the alleged infringements were complete fabrications led by rumour.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:25 pm

hydr0x wrote:As people said, Rule of Rose isn't THAT rare, even the UK version.
Really? I haven't seen many anywhere. I think I've only seen it once or twice on ebay.
Even a lot of the ones on ebay are actually the French box version (when you read the descriptions properly).

I think MGS Subsistence goes up & down in value - up when a new MGS game hits the shelves then gradually back down.
When MGS 4 was released copies were selling for £80+. I left it a bit late and sold mine for £55 IIRC.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:32 pm

I have a feeling any title mentioned here might get very expensive on eBay all of a sudden :wink:

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Rule of Rose wasn't banned in the UK.

There was a completely misleading media kerfuffle in the red tops that led to hysteria that included some of the major retails chains saying they wouldn't stock it, so the publisher pulled it. No point fighting a distribution chain that didn't want to sell their game.

At no point was it banned by any of the bodies that govern such things, as the alleged infringements were complete fabrications led by rumour.
Guess i better get scanning.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:40 pm

stvd wrote:
hydr0x wrote:As people said, Rule of Rose isn't THAT rare, even the UK version.
Really? I haven't seen many anywhere. I think I've only seen it once or twice on ebay.
Even a lot of the ones on ebay are actually the French box version (when you read the descriptions properly).

I think MGS Subsistence goes up & down in value - up when a new MGS game hits the shelves then gradually back down.
When MGS 4 was released copies were selling for £80+. I left it a bit late and sold mine for £55 IIRC.
Sorry to post again,

You're right Stvd, in the sense that you can't find it as readily as say ICO, however you will find a english copy if you look hard enough. Not saying you don't, but check all your loacal stores etc and sooner or later one will appear, you've just got to see it first. It's no rarer than any other of the rarest 505 games, which sadly in the uk are rarer than in europe.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:48 pm

You're rightI probably don't look hard enough. Probably because I already have a copy! :)

Actually, I bought it (from France) before I even knew that there was a UK version.

Timothy Lumsden wrote:I have a feeling any title mentioned here might get very expensive on eBay all of a sudden :wink:
RULE OF ROSE
RULE OF ROSE
RULE OF ROSE
RULE OF ROSE

:lol: