The Master Everdrive

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

richie freebird

The Master Everdrive

Post by richie freebird » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:34 am

Anyone have one of these? How do the games look ran through the Master Everdrive compared to normal cartridges? Where is the best place to get one of the deluxe versions that have a cartridge built around the circuit board?
And this bird you'll never change...

Flimbo

Re: The Master Everdrive

Post by Flimbo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:48 pm

If all this cartridge is doing is emulating a ROM chip and not doing anything with the graphics hardware then I would presume there would be no change to the graphics.

Darth Martious

Post by Darth Martious » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:24 pm

I have the MD version, it has no effect on graphics, sound or anything else.
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to an ASS-KICKING!

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:29 pm

Darth Martious wrote:I have the MD version, it has no effect on graphics, sound or anything else.
Is it the deluxe one with a cartridge built around it? If so where did you get it from please? :)

Darth Martious

Post by Darth Martious » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:36 pm

richie freebird wrote:
Darth Martious wrote:I have the MD version, it has no effect on graphics, sound or anything else.
Is it the deluxe one with a cartridge built around it? If so where did you get it from please? :)
Ah no, mine was the regular one and I simply put it into an old game shell. I say simply, but it was in fact a bit of a faff because you need a special tool to unscrew the cartridges (bought from eBay), a file or some other tool to cut the appropriate holes in the donor shell, a donor cartridge and, I found, I needed to re-drill some holes on the pcb because they were a bit too narrow.

I bought mine direct from Igor Golubovskij (KRIKzz) which in itself was a bit of a mare. Because he's in the Ukraine, you can't use PayPal. My credit card company didn't want to deal with Western Union so I ended up doing an international wire transfer. This took ages, but eventually got there - I had to email Igor several times to see if it had arrived and to be fair to him he responded promptly, but his English isn't all that great and my Ukrainian is non-existent. It was also bloody expensive.

Finally: the thing works great, but I hardly ever use it since I prefer to use Kega Fusion with a big screen TV and a couple of Mega Drive controllers via USB adapters. So ultimately for me it was a massive waste of time, money and effort.

If that hasn't put you off I believe stoneagegamer do them, but I've never had any dealings with them. I think they're based in the US, so if you're elsewhere in the world you might have to pay an import fee. If nobody else here knows any better, you might want to ask over at the Sega-16 forums as that's where I first heard about Everdrive.

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks for that mate, good post. I’ll probably not go to Stonage gamer, I’ve emailed them in the past and had no response, whilst looking for a Famicom / nes converter that they had on the site.

norm7446

Post by norm7446 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:25 pm

Darth Martious wrote: Mega Drive controllers via USB adapter
Interesting. Very interesting. Just where would one purchase such an item as this.. ? As I use a XBOX 360 controller a PS one to play on the PC
Rise from your Grave...

Darth Martious

Post by Darth Martious » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:09 am

norm7446 wrote:
Darth Martious wrote: Mega Drive controllers via USB adapter
Interesting. Very interesting. Just where would one purchase such an item as this.. ? As I use a XBOX 360 controller a PS one to play on the PC
I got mine from here: http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=69

The picture is slightly misleading because you don't get a pad with it, just the cable and adapter. It works with all the pads I've tried with it (official 3-button and 6-button MD/Genesis pads), has a nice long cable and worked with no bother in Windows XP, Vista and 7. You can also just buy the chip if you're handy with a soldering iron - I'm not and it didn't seem worth the bother for a $3 saving!