what retro game are you currently playing ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

samhain81

Re: what retro game are you currently playing ?

Post by samhain81 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:12 am

Batman on the NES

Well, its kind of playing me really. Its spitroasting me on the later levels.

Supernaut

Post by Supernaut » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:10 pm

Soleil on Mega Drive. I'd played the Crusader of Centy version of it before through emulation but I picked up the real thing not too long ago. When I first played it I honestly wasn't all that impressed, however this time I am really enjoying myself. Only major gripe is those how they throw random stairs in that lead to nowhere in the dungeons. Just pointlessly extending game time. Also it's far too easy.

Trying to rush through it a bit though as I will be playing Starflight (Mega Drive version) next, which I am really looking forward to.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:10 pm

I fancied a game of Q-Bert in MAME but spotted Qix and I've been playing it on and off all day. I moved on to Volfied for a bit and although it's pretty good I prefer the simpler visuals and player goals of Qix.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:17 pm

Caverns of Mars and Miner 2049er cartridges on my Atari XL.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:15 pm

Playing the bit of Saturn there the last few nights. I usually play Daytona USA or Sega Rally and a bit of shmup action, but for whatever reason I found myself playing Fighting Vipers instead. I'm not a huge fan of 3D Saturn beat 'em-ups normally. I don't know if its the pad or the fact I think the DC efforts are so much better... but I have to say I did enjoy this for a while. Dodgy graphics, but the gameplay is enjoyable.

I did get Battle Garegga out afterwards - can't turn the Saturn on and not have a blast at something! This was one of the last "big" games I bought before deciding to slow down the buying and spending a couple of years back. Its an interesting game - its not as shooty fun as DoDonPachi, its not as easy going as Shienryu, its not as epic as Radiant Silvergun, and its not as good as the awesome Soukyugurentai.... what it is though is very gritty, extremely challenging, and a slow burner.... ultimately, a very satisfying video gaming experience all told.

Shmups.com named it the best blaster ever last year iirc. I think its got a lot of depth, and long term playability. Its not as charming or visually appealing as a lot of the Saturn's best shooters. It does not look disimilar to a slightly tarted-up Strikers 1945. It does have some very interesting ideas and design features however. First, your guns don't do much damage, which makes it quite "realistic" for this type of game. The better equiped you are and the better you play, the harder it gets - this is a major component of the gameplay. You are encouraged to use smart bombs on scenery to collect bonus items therein. And my favourite bit is the almost chaining-like feature where you collect gold bars of increasing value as you play - miss one and the next bar starts off at the lowest value all over again - this is a super risk/reward mechanic that helps the brave increase their score.

Talking of score, you can play through the game in the regular arcade more for points, but there is also a mode where you can play each level on its own for score too. This adds variety and helps you get to grips with the latter levels a little easier.

To get the most out of Garegga you will need to put the hours in - but its well worth it. Its expensive, but offers good value in the long term in my view :)

Pippy

Post by Pippy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:44 am

Close to finishing Kid Icarus : Of Myths and Monsters (GB) on the 3DS Virtual Console.

I'd never gotten very far in the NES original, so I was taking a risk with this, but I've been pleasantly surprised. It's quirky, has some nice difficulty spikes that can be overcome without much frustration, and I much prefer the scrolling wraparound mechanic in the GB version, it helps the gameworld feel more open despite the smaller screen size.

It also gets points for the ZX Spectrum-esque sound effects after you collect the harp item :)

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:45 am

Hooked up the BBC B at the moment, playing a bit of Revs, and cannot resist a go on Super Invaders, another Geoff Crammond classic, was also playing Citadel last night, inspired by the coverage in the magazine,

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Just finished Apidya on the Amiga. A Change of pace with Football Manager on the CPC.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Ghosts and god damn goblins because some genius mentioned it in the 'bastard hard game' thread on my forum :x and I remembered it had some cool music, however I had forgot how arse it is :oops: wrong weapon? tough .... just FU!

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Pippy wrote:Close to finishing Kid Icarus : Of Myths and Monsters (GB) on the 3DS Virtual Console.

I'd never gotten very far in the NES original, so I was taking a risk with this, but I've been pleasantly surprised. It's quirky, has some nice difficulty spikes that can be overcome without much frustration, and I much prefer the scrolling wraparound mechanic in the GB version, it helps the gameworld feel more open despite the smaller screen size.

It also gets points for the ZX Spectrum-esque sound effects after you collect the harp item :)
I enjoyed it too last year when I got it on the GB. Its not perfect in my opinion - the lack of checkpointing and the weird upgrading mechnaic are issues for me, but its has some fun moments. I liked the bosses, particularly the final boss. The first one in the game is hard though!

A compelling game.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Fired up the mega drive for the first time in ages tonight. Picture wasn't too bad on my old 19 inch LCD set I almost gave away a while back. Had a blast on Castle of Illusion, Quackshot, Aladdin and Lion King. I really enjoyed it, except I got completely stuck on level 2 on lion king. I just couldn't work out where I was supposed to go and kept dying trying to make a jump I knew I couldn't make to the only place I hadn't been yet :evil: . Tomorrow will bring blasts on flashback, buck Rogers, d+d, megalomania and ea hockey.

I forgot how good the md is tbh and im still using my original Christmas 91 model too. It struggles sometimes but once it loads a game up it runs just fine. Still, I'd like to see a 360 last that long :lol: I'm gutted Sega no longer make consoles.

Eat your nans pants

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm censored playing WWE superstars...Hogan and Bossman vs. Savage and Tonk LOL

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Mystical Fighters on the Megadrive almost completed it on my first attempt what a easy game.. The first Boss is harder then every other boss for some strange reason
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Shinobi wrote:Mystical Fighters on the Megadrive almost completed it on my first attempt what a easy game.. The first Boss is harder then every other boss for some strange reason
And thats saying something - as thats p1ss easy too. Yet I still quite like the game - played through a few times , then learned new ways to move,fight and find the hidden rooms too. Its no streets of rage , but at least its not the worst scrolling beat em up ive played (Double Dragon 2 (MD) , Im looking in your direction).

PubZombie

Post by PubZombie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:32 pm

Having -another- Braybook revival on pandora. Been playing Paradroid90 and Uridium2, two of my fave games ever.
The Truth is but a Construct; empowering creator and subjugating consumer... "War is the continuation of 'politik' with the admixture of other means."

binatone; spectrum 48k; vic20; C64; Amiga; Sega MS; N64; GP2X, OpenPandora, IPad 3.