what retro game are you currently playing ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: what retro game are you currently playing ?

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:49 am

Watching the athletics on the telly put me in the mood for International Track and Field 2000 (PSX2PSP) - Canoeing? WTF? Maybe Konami should have read the title...

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:38 am

ShadowMan wrote:Trojan, 1942 and Megaman 3 on my Playchoice 10 cab. I'm still determined to manage to complete MM3 without dying...
Trying to Mr Perfect all your classic MM? :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:19 am

harlequ1n wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Trojan, 1942 and Megaman 3 on my Playchoice 10 cab. I'm still determined to manage to complete MM3 without dying...
Trying to Mr Perfect all your classic MM? :)
Yeah :D Though Megaman, Megaman 7 and MM&B would be next to impossible to do. I need to get round to doing MM2 when I have a chance.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:10 am

Played quite a few games over the long weekend.

Kung fu, which I appear to have gotten worse at. My first game I died on the second floor. Worked my way back up to fourth floor, where I usually die. I came this close to beating that damn magic monkey (or whatever he is).

Faxanadu, which I am gradually working my way through. Spent a good hour grinding for gold and to buy the magic shield, which was a massive letdown as it appears to do sweet F all. Still, I got a lot of experience points out of it.

Viewtiful Joe is still kicking my ass. I'm on the street/sewer level now. The game is unrelenting. This level features bats (always with the farking bats!), lasers, electricity, spikes - all on top of the usual complement of bad guys. I still haven't mastered that zoom in mode, although it does help with the bats.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:44 pm

Got a snes for the living room and am getting back into Super Punch Out and Yoshi's Island, on and off. I forgot how addictive Super Punch Out is!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Dramagod

Post by Dramagod » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Battle of Olympus (NES). Not an easy game without checking walkthoughs on the net or watching others do better in youtube. It's been a few months since I played this but I'm stuck in this boss - cyclops I recall - who throws these boulders at you in a cavern. Damn difficult to dodge them and try to hit him with your weapon. Great game though with memorable music and greek mythology characters which I find fascinating.
Hello. My name is La-li-lu-le-lo. Nice to meet you!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:23 pm

Back on with....

Buck Rogers:Countdown To Doomsday.

The 1st space based mission (investigate drifting craft in Earth orbit) still bloody superb. Ghost as soon as you board, your team getting infected (Vulture notices a rash....Apone has a splitting head ache) etc, just generates a real 'feel' to the game, despite the primitive visuals.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:59 pm

Metroid Prime, at last and it is simply brilliant. Few control issues mind, the lock on is a bit hit and miss but other than that I love it. Gameworld is so well designed.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

rebelstar

Post by rebelstar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:27 pm

thevulture wrote: Buck Rogers:Countdown To Doomsday.
All hail the mighty SSI!
No, seriously I don`t think Gold Box combat system was ever bettered. A true blueprint.

At the moment I`m quite surprised with myself and the obsession that is NHL Hockey (Megadrive via PSP). I was never big on sports games...some Match Day in Spectrum days, Speedball 2 FTW then looong nothing and recently some Pro Evo. Fired up this NHL for no particular reason few weeks ago...and I`m totally kidnapped. This game is just amazing :)

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Sonic Spinball on my Nokia E7. It was made for mobile 8)

llj

Post by llj » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm considering lobbying for Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter to be included as a "Buried Treasure" status game as now I'm get further into this. It just has too much of its own identity (especially compared to the previous BOFs), a low sales history, and enough "haters" for it to not be reconsidered at the very least. It doesn't even qualify for cult status as there's not enough of a following to drive up the price of the game! It can still be found almost anywhere for REALLY cheap! (at least here in North America) Dragon Quarter really is an experience completely unique to itself in the JRPG genre. The previous BOFs, I'm afraid I considered them more like games that you played to get your medieval fantasy world JRPG fix. But I'm giving Dragon Quarter my undivided attention as its own animal. It's not without its problems, but even those are more interesting than tons of other more polished efforts.

I'll comment more when I beat the game.

Of course, my opinion may change if my d-counter runs out at an inopportune time late in the game. That would make me really gnash my teeth for days. :wink:

Reglan

Post by Reglan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:43 am

Gradius Deluxe Pack. Just picked this up on Tuesday afternoon for my Saturn. It's my first time playing an arcade perfect port of the original Gradius since I never could get it on MAME. Gotta say, it's pretty sweet. Though the default controls suck. Thank God for customization.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:40 am

Reglan wrote:Gradius Deluxe Pack. Just picked this up on Tuesday afternoon for my Saturn. It's my first time playing an arcade perfect port of the original Gradius since I never could get it on MAME. Gotta say, it's pretty sweet. Though the default controls suck. Thank God for customization.
If you like it I strongly recommend you play Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus and Thunder Force Gold Pack 2, best compilations on the Saturn :)

Reglan

Post by Reglan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:06 pm

harlequ1n wrote:
Reglan wrote:Gradius Deluxe Pack. Just picked this up on Tuesday afternoon for my Saturn. It's my first time playing an arcade perfect port of the original Gradius since I never could get it on MAME. Gotta say, it's pretty sweet. Though the default controls suck. Thank God for customization.
If you like it I strongly recommend you play Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus and Thunder Force Gold Pack 2, best compilations on the Saturn :)
Funny that you mention that. I actually bought the Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus yesterday as well. :) No sign of the Thunder Force Gold Pack 2, though. :(

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:08 pm

Ooops posted in the wrong currently playing thread... :oops:
Last edited by SexyWayne on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.