what retro game are you currently playing ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

harlequ1n

Re: what retro game are you currently playing ?

Post by harlequ1n » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:04 pm

DPrinny wrote:Alley cat - DOS
Now you made me feel nostalgic as this was the 1st video game I ever played (age 6) on my dad's 286 :_(

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:59 pm

harlequ1n wrote:
Now you made me feel nostalgic as this was the 1st video game I ever played (age 6) on my dad's 286 :_(
Yeah its a bit good

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:27 am

Various games on my Amiga (once I got the damn thing working) -

Batman - can't complete the first level :(
Mercs - harder than I remember, especially next to the Megadrive and Arcade versions
Treasure Island Dizzy - Still useless at it, blasted one life limit :evil:

I also booted up Final Fight on the Mega CD and enjoyed every minute of it. The soundtrack really sells the game for me, its so much nicer than any other port. I still can't complete the damn game though! I can clear most of the game without continuing but the last level gets me everytime. A mix of it being so damn long, lots of dangerous enemies and the fast that I can't find any health. One day...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:04 am

PC - Defender Of The Crown (Heroes Live Forever).

Bought it with a special deal online. Definitely not as good as the original, the new archery section is just too unfair. No cut scenes. But I like the gamecards, and the joust indicates when to click and the catapult section is good. Some good features but ultimately it's too easy to win with a crap end. the C64 version will always be the best.

May as well have another go anyway and get my money's worth.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:07 am

Beyond Good and Evil on the PS2.

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:38 am

Paulie wrote: What a classic one of the must have games for the MD. Beautiful graphics, great atmospheric music and slick game play which is pitched at just the right level of difficulty.
I cant stop playing it at the moment - its front of my small flat screen tv (which i have a cable so i can connect it to my new type of tv) and its just a amazing game!
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

DeadZoo

Post by DeadZoo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:58 am

Outun , lots and lots of outrun's
so far I've been playing (deep breath)
The c64,Amstrad CPC,Atari st and Spectrum versions.
Disturbingly for me , as a Commodore 64 Kid , the spectrum version nosed ahead slightly , its a bit slow , but looks lovely (plus its the first time I've been playing a decent game with the proper kempton adaptor , so maybe that's why its impressed me so much), The ST one wasn't bad , and the Amstrad one was bobbins.
There's actually an Atari 8 bit version in the pipeline thats surprisingly good looking , but its been WIP for a while now so hopefully it hasn't stalled.I've been playing them on the original hardware when I could (except for the CPC ,as I havent been able to pick one up yet)
I've a a copy of the Sega master system version on my desk in front of me here so hopefully I'll get a chance to try that out soon.
Bit of shameless self promotion but video's and mini reviews up for everything so far over at

http://luxuriesoutdated.blogspot.com/

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:07 am

Recently, I 'ave been mostly playing:

Outrun 2 on the Xbox, Dino Crisis on the Playstation, The Thing on PS2, Ridge Racer V on PS2, Samurai Showdown on the 3DO, Road Fighter on the MegaCD, Sonic 2 on the Megadrive, Super Castlevania on the SNES, Kung Fu on the NES and Viewtiful Joe on the Gamecube.

I think, of all these, Super Castlevania is probably my favourite, followed by Outrun 2. The challenges in Outrun 2 are great fun. Quite close to finishing Road Fighter now, but that last level is just nuts. You need split second reactions.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:57 am

Thanks to

a) A long wait at the accountants when I visited for work, and
b) The Game Gear emulator on my HTC

Im really enjoying Megaman, Asterix and, of course, Sonic 1 (best version ever imo)
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Been playing some of Costa Panayi's Vortex Software stuff on the speccy. Android 2, Tornado Low Level and Cyclone. It's still amazing to see games like these running in only 48K.

Also started playing Backpackers Guide To The Universe. I dabbled with it a bit back in the day but never really got stuck in. Playing it through emulation is useful since you can have the guide to hand in another window.
Last edited by Crunchy on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Snes Run Sabre.

Cool Strider 'em up
Thoughts and prayers.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Crunchy wrote:Been playing some of Costa Panayi's Vortex Software stuff on the speccy. Android 2, Tornado Low Level and Cyclone. It's still amazing to see games like these running in only 48K.

Also started playing Backpacker's Guide To The Universe. I dabbled with it a bit back in the day but never really got stuck in. Playing it through emulation is useful since you can have the guide to hand in another window.
that a parody of hitchhikers ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:34 pm

harlequ1n wrote:
It runs great in DOS box on the lowest possible settings.

Reckon my farts can run this game its that low spec.

Played a lot of DOS games recently and a lot are so damn playable it puts a lot of recent censored to shame

Reglan

Post by Reglan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Sonic 3 & Knuckles. One more Super Emerald to go and I'll finally have Hyper Sonic! Being able to do endless replays of the special stages after you've beaten the game makes this so much easier.

starbucky

Post by starbucky » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Completed Sonic 2 recently and switched to Sonic 3. At the same time I'm playing Zelda
Link to the past, Strider and a lot of Last Blade 2.

Used to love Alley Cat about 25 years ago. I player it at a friends house, because we didn't had a PC in those days. I had to wait until 1989 :)