PC Love?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AmigaJay

Re: PC Love?

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:The trouble with PCs is they aren't single standards, they will never be the 'ultimate platform' because you constantly need to update its hardware, I've given up with PCs now, spent too much money on them over the years, along with software and hardware failures, incompatibility with games and certain gpus
Not at all like, perhaps, Amigas? ;)
Erm no, because the A500 you bought in 1987 could play the game you bought in 1996....and the mouse you bought for your Amiga could guess what...actually work when you plugged it in!

Really thought PC troubles were a thing of the past but for me the same incompatibilty with software i.e Sims 3, hardware problems, and surprise Windows errors after errors even with constant updating....now i have got all my roms on my nvidia shield and Ouya, work stuff and files on my ipad the only use i have for my laptop is to finish my book, after that i really will say goodbye to PC use *shudder* !

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:04 pm

markopoloman wrote:You had to buy 3 mice?? What was wrong with them then? I've had my mouse for bloody ages, the CPU is an old i7 (ok, so it's still fast) and I recently upgraded the Graphics card after 4 years.

But I never have any issues running games on it. The install, they run. I can adjust the settings to make them look stunning - but I don't have to (I can leave them looking like an Xbone game if I want to) :wink:

I really do wonder what some people are actually doing when they use a pc!!

On another note: My 8 yr old son is downstairs in the dining room playing Halflife 2 Deathmatch on my 'thrown together from odd parts' pc - and its on a projector :mrgreen: He's too bloody good for me.
I agree, PC building/gaming is easier than it's ever been and I enjoy owning consoles as well as they serve different purposes for what I want from a game.

PC games will always look better than consoles due to the nature of evolving and upgradeable hardware. However the super optimised nature of consoles means that especially later in it's life, the equivalent spec PC would never be able to run games that look as good... ie. The equivalent spec PC to a 360 would not be able to run GTA V as it does on that console.

It's swings and roundabouts.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:20 pm

markopoloman wrote:You had to buy 3 mice?? What was wrong with them then? I've had my mouse for bloody ages, the CPU is an old i7 (ok, so it's still fast) and I recently upgraded the Graphics card after 4 years.

But I never have any issues running games on it. The install, they run. I can adjust the settings to make them look stunning - but I don't have to (I can leave them looking like an Xbone game if I want to) :wink:

On another note: My 8 yr old son is downstairs in the dining room playing Halflife 2 Deathmatch on my 'thrown together from odd parts' pc - and its on a projector :mrgreen: He's too bloody good for me.
2 of the mice were fairly cheap, but hadnt had much problems with mice before, btw im running windows 7 which ive heard is another wonderful update from microsoft, so in the end went safe and bought a microsoft mouse and it worked no problems.
But from your words you probablyfthink im a newbie with PCs, far from it, 1997 i got my first PC so 16 years, built my own PCs the last 7-8 years, and used them for numerous things, dont get me wrong they are good when they work fine...its just the amount of things go wrong with them hardware or software wise is a miles above any other format hence my lack of love for the format, and now times are changing with tablets etc the need to use them is less and less, and i wont even comment on 8 year olds playing 15/18 rated games.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:55 pm

This is the mouse I've used the past 10 years.

It is perfect.

I even tried to replace it with a SteelSeries Xai and came back to it.. :mrgreen:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:30 pm

AmigaJay wrote:

2 of the mice were fairly cheap, but hadnt had much problems with mice before, btw im running windows 7 which ive heard is another wonderful update from microsoft, so in the end went safe and bought a microsoft mouse and it worked no problems.
But from your words you probablyfthink im a newbie with PCs, far from it, 1997 i got my first PC so 16 years, built my own PCs the last 7-8 years, and used them for numerous things, dont get me wrong they are good when they work fine...its just the amount of things go wrong with them hardware or software wise is a miles above any other format hence my lack of love for the format, and now times are changing with tablets etc the need to use them is less and less, and i wont even comment on 8 year olds playing 15/18 rated games.
I suppose some people can just be unlucky then!
As for an 8 yr old playing Halflife 2... comment away. My 19yr old son has yet to have a fight or kill anyone - he was playing quake/quake2 when he was a nipper. My 14yr old son is a demon at COD:Ghosts - he has yet to have a fight or try and kill someone (he does enjoy rugby, going out with friends on bikes and attending retro events also). I'm such a bad parent! :wink:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:30 am

AmigaJay wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:The trouble with PCs is they aren't single standards, they will never be the 'ultimate platform' because you constantly need to update its hardware, I've given up with PCs now, spent too much money on them over the years, along with software and hardware failures, incompatibility with games and certain gpus
Not at all like, perhaps, Amigas? ;)
Erm no, because the A500 you bought in 1987 could play the game you bought in 1996....and the mouse you bought for your Amiga could guess what...actually work when you plugged it in!
Except the game wouldn't work, because there wouldn't be enough memory, or it'd be the wrong chipset, or there'd be no CD drive to put the disc in.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:36 am

Antiriad2097 wrote: Except the game wouldn't work, because there wouldn't be enough memory, or it'd be the wrong chipset, or there'd be no CD drive to put the disc in.
Except there were OCS compatible games released in 1996, im not talking AGA or CD32 games as they were different formats, my point is i highly doubt a PC bought in 1987 could play ANY PC games from 1996.

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:09 am

I know i came late to this conversation but i agree that Retro Gamer doesn't give the PC enough coverage. It's true they did the odd article about some pc game like Planescape Torment or Crusader No Regret, but having in mind the importance and longevity of the format, it's just not enough. Like me, most gamers i know took the Spectrum->Amiga->PC route, and i'm sure that was the most common in european countries.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:42 am

AmigaJay wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote: Except the game wouldn't work, because there wouldn't be enough memory, or it'd be the wrong chipset, or there'd be no CD drive to put the disc in.
Except there were OCS compatible games released in 1996, im not talking AGA or CD32 games as they were different formats, my point is i highly doubt a PC bought in 1987 could play ANY PC games from 1996.
That's not exactly a plus point for the Amiga when you think it through though. The fact that OCS was still getting the lions share of games when there had been two subsequent generations of Amiga graphics hardware to me says it was a stagnating platform. Certainly, I'd have been most disappointed if every PC game in 1996 was still using EGA graphics, despite the better options available.

Anyway, I suppose you could have found some 1996 PC games that would have run on pretty much any PC from 1987 as it's always had a vibrant indie scene that's catered to obsolescent hardware. There were some cracking Rogue-likes that would probably have worked on even older machines, for instance. You just wouldn't have been able to play the latest state of the art games, but then again you couldn't do that on an Amiga either.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:46 am

RuySan wrote:I know i came late to this conversation but i agree that Retro Gamer doesn't give the PC enough coverage. It's true they did the odd article about some pc game like Planescape Torment or Crusader No Regret, but having in mind the importance and longevity of the format, it's just not enough. Like me, most gamers i know took the Spectrum->Amiga->PC route, and i'm sure that was the most common in european countries.
There is at least 1 PC game in near enough every issue, it baffles me when people say this.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:14 am

AmigaJay wrote:and i wont even comment on 8 year olds playing 15/18 rated games.
Think thats a Mary Whitehouse comment though. It'll be the equivalent of someone moaning about us playing 8 bit games such as Cobra - shooting prams with an uzi, or Commando where we're shooting soldiers etc etc. We were playing games like that when we were 8

People here act like they've never watched an 18 rated film until the day they were 18 !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:57 pm

psj3809 wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:People here act like they've never watched an 18 rated film until the day they were 18 !
Anyone who was 18 or older in 1982 wouldn't have had any choice in the matter.

Even I had to wait until I was 15 to play Commando ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:16 pm

I'm constantly working on PC features. Just to annoy the Laird :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:14 pm

Always been a laptop user, although have got to say have seen Battlefield 4 running on a PC and that's made me want to build one in the New Year, as I don't think I'll be able to afford the new XBox One or PS 4 for a while yet.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:22 pm

jdanddiet wrote:I'm constantly working on PC features. Just to annoy the Laird :lol:
Good boy :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/