PC Love?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

KM*

Re: PC Love?

Post by KM* » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:21 pm

Loom, Space Quest 3 and just about any of the old adventure games. Great stuff. :D Though I'm not sure Space Quest 3 really was meant for kids, but that's what I played on the PC as a kid.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:21 pm

KM* wrote:Loom, Space Quest 3 and just about any of the old adventure games. Great stuff. :D Though I'm not sure Space Quest 3 really was meant for kids, but that's what I played on the PC as a kid.
Yeah, some of the deaths were gruesome.

KM*

Post by KM* » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:35 pm

theantmeister wrote:
KM* wrote:Loom, Space Quest 3 and just about any of the old adventure games. Great stuff. :D Though I'm not sure Space Quest 3 really was meant for kids, but that's what I played on the PC as a kid.
Yeah, some of the deaths were gruesome.
Yeah, here let's slit our wrists trying to pick up a piece of metal in the junk yard! I definitely didn't pick up any pieces of metal in old futuristic abandoned junk yards in real life after that I tell yah. Lesson learned!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:48 pm

*bounce*

Someone mentioned we don't have a PC thread. Well, here you go!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:26 am

Download-Only PC titles should NOT have a Limited Edition version.
Just think about that for a minute.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:37 pm

I too used Amstrad 1512s back in 1987 too. Mostly for Cobol programming. However, we would play Outrun, Rick Dangerous, Prince of Persia and Mach 3. On the CGA screen, they didn't look as good as what the ST & Amiga had at the time.

By about 1993 I was impressed by 7th Guest and Alone in the Dark

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:19 am

I just picked up Master of Orion 1+2 from the GOG summer sale (ends today!) for about £2.

Now for some galactic diplomacy - Mango style. FIRE TORPEDOES!
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:56 am

Freestyler wrote:Download-Only PC titles should NOT have a Limited Edition version.
Just think about that for a minute.
Playing devil's advocate here, but why not? The main purpose of limited editions is to drive early adoption by offering up an incentive to buyers who otherwise might just wait and see. So, saying that the first downloaders get something extra is doing that in just the same way that it would be with physical media.

Sure, you can say that the physical media would eventually run out, whereas more downloads can be made available at the press of a button, but most popular games are sold in such quantities that the "limited edition" might run into the hundreds of thousands, and additional production runs of it could be possible if the demand was there.

On the other hand, if you mistakenly believe that limited editions are just made for the benefit of collectors, I can see why you might think that way.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:01 am

Matt_B wrote:On the other hand, if you mistakenly believe that limited editions are just made for the benefit of collectors, I can see why you might think that way.
Aren't they though? They're all statues and other useless trinkets.

Whether its digital or physical, the real reason they don't just make more is that it then wouldn't be limited. Your early adopters would feel cheated and they're the last people publishers should be angering.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:30 pm

I love my PC... but it doesn't love me at the mo :(

My 2nd 470GTX has gone pop!! So it's new graphics card time. Not going to water cool the next one (and may leave the overclocking alone too).

So, 770GTX will be the new flavour I think! Just need to get a good price under £300 :D :oops: :shock:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:15 pm

PC is, imo, the ultimate platform for gaming as it's open for anyone and you can do anything you want on it. Consoles are good in their own right but they do not match the functionality and usability of a PC. PC games also tend to be "deeper" experiences than console games. Which doesn't mean that console games are bad by any means but simply that it offers experiences unlikely to be found on the consoles. It's also the only platform that can emulate any other system, given sufficient hardware and suitable programs.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:33 pm

The trouble with PCs is they aren't single standards, they will never be the 'ultimate platform' because you constantly need to update its hardware, I've given up with PCs now, spent too much money on them over the years, along with software and hardware failures, incompatibility with games and certain gpus, and the fact i had to buy 3 mice this year just to get one to work says it all about this format!
Never had any love for PCs.....never will! Horrible creatures!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:18 pm

You had to buy 3 mice?? What was wrong with them then? I've had my mouse for bloody ages, the CPU is an old i7 (ok, so it's still fast) and I recently upgraded the Graphics card after 4 years.

But I never have any issues running games on it. The install, they run. I can adjust the settings to make them look stunning - but I don't have to (I can leave them looking like an Xbone game if I want to) :wink:

I really do wonder what some people are actually doing when they use a pc!!

On another note: My 8 yr old son is downstairs in the dining room playing Halflife 2 Deathmatch on my 'thrown together from odd parts' pc - and its on a projector :mrgreen: He's too bloody good for me.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:56 pm

AmigaJay wrote:The trouble with PCs is they aren't single standards, they will never be the 'ultimate platform' because you constantly need to update its hardware, I've given up with PCs now, spent too much money on them over the years, along with software and hardware failures, incompatibility with games and certain gpus
Not at all like, perhaps, Amigas? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:The trouble with PCs is they aren't single standards, they will never be the 'ultimate platform' because you constantly need to update its hardware, I've given up with PCs now, spent too much money on them over the years, along with software and hardware failures, incompatibility with games and certain gpus
Not at all like, perhaps, Amigas? ;)
AmigaJay + PC = Unlucky Alf :lol: