PC Love?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Freestyler

Re: PC Love?

Post by Freestyler » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:27 am

Steam and GoG have been going absolutely MENTAL with sales this past month, so all I can say to anyone who hasn't really tried gaming on the PC is: "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR!?!??!"

If you're worried about your machine not running the games you might like, just consider this: As long as you keep away from the "Graphics censored" kind of games (Witcher 2, Crysis, Arma 2, etc) you'll do fine. Hell, most of the games from GoG (and to a large extent Steam too) will run on a bloody calculator! :lol:

Publishers may try to delude everyone into thinking the Videogame Industry is all about the relentless push for new product, but at the end of the day much more fun can be had by looking over your shoulder. Back to the past.

PC fo' life, bitches! :D
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:37 am

I didn't realise how much of a graphics censored I was until my mate brought his PC around last weekend. Just spent 700 on a new rig, and a further £100 in the steam sales. That should keep me going for a while.

snigfarp

Post by snigfarp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:55 am

MattyC64c wrote:Did you play PC games in the good old days of DOS? Do you still play PC games?
I've been playing DOS games since college, about 1990. On old XTs with Hercules mono monitors, some wonderful games we played on there. I got my own PC in that year, but it was a similar spec and not a patch on my friends' Amigas and STs for games. Still, it played some games still on the retail shelves at the time (Populous, SimCity, Starflight) which was pretty impressive for a 6-year-old 4.77 MHz XT.

Nowadays I love the games of the early 1990s, when the Amiga, PC and ST were getting the same games released. I play the DOS PC ones mostly as they're easy to emulate. It doesn't matter what O/S I'm running on what old piece of tat (usually Windows or Linux), I can probably get those old games running on DosBox.
Damian
New Speccy games - http://spectrum.cyningstan.org.uk/
Psion handheld gaming - http://psigamer.cyningstan.org.uk/

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:49 pm

This Steam sale is mental, a really good plus point for digital distribution if they can be selling games this cheap.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:26 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:This Steam sale is mental, a really good plus point for digital distribution if they can be selling games this cheap.
Yes indeed. It's gotten so crazy I have another 34 full-size games yet to install. That's without any of the packs I'm looking into! Batman: Arkham City is just on for £6.79! Human Revolution and Driver: SF a fiver each! BRAND FRIGGIN' NEW!! :shock:

I swear I could drop a hundred quid in this sale and have enough titles to last all year long. Mental! :lol:

*Edit: Just picked up the original F.E.A.R for a staggering £1.74! It also comes with both expansion packs for free (sadly no multiplayer available) but for near enough 3 games it's amazing!

Pity about the whopping 16.6gb download though.. :?
Last edited by Freestyler on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Pretty sure the Descent community are still hard at it, making mods 'n' what not.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Screw this, I'm going to drop a ton on a new Gfx Card and another ton on a selection of PC games. The so-called incoming "Next Gen" can do without me.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Does anyone remember an FPS called Breed?

I can remember it having presentation similar to the Starship Troopers film but looked a bit like Halo?

I've just moved house so need to get all my of games out, big box Baulders Gate 2 in there as well.

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Freestyler wrote:Screw this, I'm going to drop a ton on a new Gfx Card and another ton on a selection of PC games. The so-called incoming "Next Gen" can do without me.
It's pretty much what I've done, bought a few things in this latest sale too, also got my eye on the Arma pack

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Freestyler wrote:Screw this, I'm going to drop a ton on a new Gfx Card and another ton on a selection of PC games. The so-called incoming "Next Gen" can do without me.
:lol:

I hardly think the games console industry will be panicking in the streets over your decision but I sympathise with the sentiment behind it. :D

This year's Steam summer blowout is biting deep into my wallet in a most satisfying way. I've picked up some awesome indie stuff and enough strategy goodness to keep me busy for years.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:16 pm

The Beans wrote:

I hardly think the games console industry will be panicking in the streets over your decision but I sympathise with the sentiment behind it. :D

This year's Steam summer blowout is biting deep into my wallet in a most satisfying way. I've picked up some awesome indie stuff and enough strategy goodness to keep me busy for years.
Hearing you on the strategy goodness, repicked up Rome Total War, just for the convenience of compatibility, and got Civ 5 GOTY today, had a "quick" go that lasted 2 hours :lol:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:19 pm

The Beans wrote:

I'm actually surprised that all the games I really wanted this year were in the indie bundles. I think I've bought 4 of the bundles so far. So many great looking games, can't wait to play them!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:57 pm

The Beans wrote:

I think that, because I was such a proponent of buying pre-owned games I was seen by Publishers as little more than a virus anyway, so I guess I'll not be missed! :lol:

And yet... here they all are desperately selling their back-catalogues on Steam for a mere pittance in some cases. Did it not occur to them to do this themselves? PC Batman: Arkham City pre-owned in CeX for £15 or NEW on Steam for £6.79? Didn't it ever occur to them to try selling it to me for £7 themselves? Even Amazon is doing it for £13 and that comes with a disc and box.

Publishers are fat, lazy and arrogant. They've had it all their own way for far too long now. They have to either adapt to this new market or die. I no longer care how much games "cost" to make, all I care about is how much they sell them for.

Or I'll but them from else! :lol:

*Oh, and why bother to pirate it when I can buy it off Steam for two quid? Have you realised that yet, Mr. Publisher? Don't you think you're missing something here...?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:09 am

Just started playing Skrim, after picking it up for £17. The amount of mod stuff for it is amazing.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Just started playing Skrim, after picking it up for £17. The amount of mod stuff for it is amazing.
i've been jealously looking at YT videos of some of those mods,some of those are very impressive.i bet it looks real good with the free high resolution texture pack :mrgreen:
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"