Advice for beginner collector

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

WildWillyWilson

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by WildWillyWilson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:15 am

Just collect the games you really want to play / own, I learnt with my JP MD collection that picking up non playable RPG titles really was rather pointless.

scorpionatthepc

Post by scorpionatthepc » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:17 am

WildWillyWilson wrote:Just collect the games you really want to play / own, I learnt with my JP MD collection that picking up non playable RPG titles really was rather pointless.

This! Just collect the games you'd like to own or use to own. I went through a bit of a mad spell a couple of year ago collecting for the mega drive and atari 2600. I now have an decent collection for both consoles but still keep me eye out for the odd bargain.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:58 am

Never buy games for a machine you don't own, means one less copy to go round. ;)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:59 am

scorpionatthepc wrote:
WildWillyWilson wrote:Just collect the games you really want to play / own, I learnt with my JP MD collection that picking up non playable RPG titles really was rather pointless.

This! Just collect the games you'd like to own or use to own. I went through a bit of a mad spell a couple of year ago collecting for the mega drive and atari 2600. I now have an decent collection for both consoles but still keep me eye out for the odd bargain.

not to be rude but this pretty much the same advice the exploding pegleg penguin gave at the start of the threat
i think we all agree with his advice
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:00 am

C=Style wrote:I did collect for the Sega Saturn a few years ago too and it's immensely satisfying, again, top games for good prices but import can sting a bit. However there are some titles that are worth their lofty price tags and I'd be happy to spend £70 on a masterpiece of a game that I will play regularly and enjoy ten times as much as a £40 current generation release.
Totally agree, I'm hoping to get hold of some of the outstanding-looking adventure/RPG titles for the Saturn which do go for more cash than I've ever been prepared to pay for one game before - for example Shining Force 3 seems to always end up going for at least £60-£70 whenever I see it listed. If don't end up being lucky enough to win it for a better price I'll probably still go ahead and get it at some point - I know I'm pretty much guaranteed to really enjoy that one immensely (even though I believe we only got the first part of the trilogy translated!), so it's definitely far better than blowing the same amount on a load of shovelware that I'm never likely to play. Which is easily done.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:03 am

yes the shining force 3 we got is just episode 1 of a trilogy
but its not a uhh normal trilogy where the story progresses but the same story viewed from differnt characters viewpoints

HarajuCuu

Post by HarajuCuu » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks for the advice everyone i have decided to just collect games that i want to play as i don't want to end up with loads of sports games i will never play, so i think i will just continue with the systems i already own. Also I'm a big RPG fan so if there's any advice on some great RPGs out there on old systems that would be much appreciated.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:23 am

well the machines you have have some great rpg's but they will cost you
for the n64 the choice is a bit...lacking
zelda ocarina of time
majora's mask
aidyn chronicles
holy magic century ( quest 64 )
and if we are charitable shadowquest 64 and thats about it on the n64

the ps 1 and 2 have far far more then i could possibly name here other then the usual suspects ( final fantasy kingdom hearts (which i dont like ) and dragon quest)
look for wild arms
parasite eve
breath of fire 3 and 4
grandia 1 2 and 3
atelier iris 2 and 3
parasite eve 2 is more a surivial horror game
granstream saga
front mission 3
and so many more

the cube has paper mario
baiten kaitos
fire emblem
skies of arcadia
and tales of symphonia ( and more then enough i missed i bet )

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:12 am

My advice for anyone starting out collecting for a specific machine.
Collect for the system you have the most nostalgia for. The system that you loved when you were a kid. The one system you will never part with.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)