Advice for beginner collector

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HarajuCuu
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Advice for beginner collector

Post by HarajuCuu » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Hey everyone I'm looking for some advice on collecting, i would like to collect either a console or handheld something that has few games and accessories that's easy to complete without being to pricey but i don't know what to go for this is really just for the purpose of collecting.

Consoles i already own are:
Nes
Snes
N64
Gamecube
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive
PS1
PS2
PS3

Handhelds:
NDS
PSP

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24442
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:55 pm

Advice from somebody that used to collect.

Only buy what you want to play.
Walls of games are great and all, but it does mean you have to have loads of copys of Fifa and those spamwhere games

Nintendisco
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by Nintendisco » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Jap Sega Saturn is great to collect for if you're into 2D fighters and weirdness! There are still some hidden gems out there and most available for a few quid off ebay, I can recommend Vatlva and Waku Waku Monster for some off kilter gaming on a budget.

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by C=Style » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:27 pm

DPrinny wrote:Advice from somebody that used to collect.

Only buy what you want to play.
Walls of games are great and all, but it does mean you have to have loads of copys of Fifa and those spamwhere games
^ This.
Image

User avatar
Lorfarius
Posts: 3599
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: Glossop - North West
Contact:

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:35 am

Out of all of what you have listed the NES is probably the easiest to complete. I've been going after a full set myself and there's only 280 odd games plus I'm trying to build a community around the UK collectors scene, just follow my sig :)
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

User avatar
Timothy Lumsden
Posts: 2994
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:07 am

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:40 am

DPrinny wrote:Advice from somebody that used to collect.

Only buy what you want to play.
Walls of games are great and all, but it does mean you have to have loads of copys of Fifa and those spamwhere games
This is the best advice. I wish I had kept to it. I love my collection - but a small collection of games I really want to play would on reflection have been better.

The other thing, is don't rush to buy. I did when I first started collecting - but it just makes you crazy in the end - now I relax and play the waiting game.

User avatar
hydr0x
Posts: 2164
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by hydr0x » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:50 am

Lorfarius wrote:Out of all of what you have listed the NES is probably the easiest to complete. I've been going after a full set myself and there's only 280 odd games plus I'm trying to build a community around the UK collectors scene, just follow my sig :)
MADNESS

The NES set has 380 games. And it's by far the hardest set to complete in Europe, maybe except for the Atari 2600. The top ten alone will cost you a few hundred quid each, boxed that is, but some even cart only. And they're insanely rare too with the rarest releases having less than a dozen known copies.
Image

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24442
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:01 am

game.com

As long as you dont want to play them

User avatar
The Angry Jock
Posts: 4007
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:58 pm
Location: In about it

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:06 am

Neo Geo Pocket Color - 39 games, should cost no more than £800 the lot. Although 1 or 2 games are hard to come by.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26675
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:08 am

Vectrex is relatively small and most of the games are quite playable. Only a limited number carry high prices, but its debatable whether they're worth the outlay.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
che_don_john
Posts: 1231
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:51 am

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by che_don_john » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 am

I play hardly any of my old games (my gaming time is mostly taken up with current-gen), so I stick with two criteria for my collecting:

- Games that I used to own and pawned when I needed the money, or those which I played with friends and enjoyed
- Games that were acclaimed (critically, or perhaps with cult status)

In other words, quality over quantity.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Image

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:19 am

hydr0x wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:Out of all of what you have listed the NES is probably the easiest to complete. I've been going after a full set myself and there's only 280 odd games plus I'm trying to build a community around the UK collectors scene, just follow my sig :)
MADNESS

The NES set has 380 games. And it's by far the hardest set to complete in Europe, maybe except for the Atari 2600. The top ten alone will cost you a few hundred quid each, boxed that is, but some even cart only. And they're insanely rare too with the rarest releases having less than a dozen known copies.

he means the uk set
there were 280 games in the uk
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:20 am

DPrinny wrote:Advice from somebody that used to collect.

Only buy what you want to play.
Walls of games are great and all, but it does mean you have to have loads of copys of Fifa and those spamwhere games

il just echo the other two who said it but this si the best advice you can take
just buy what you want to play
cause other then having walls of games and all the shovel ware you wil never play them all and if you dont play them why buy them ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
hydr0x
Posts: 2164
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by hydr0x » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:31 am

snowkatt wrote:
hydr0x wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:Out of all of what you have listed the NES is probably the easiest to complete. I've been going after a full set myself and there's only 280 odd games plus I'm trying to build a community around the UK collectors scene, just follow my sig :)
MADNESS

The NES set has 380 games. And it's by far the hardest set to complete in Europe, maybe except for the Atari 2600. The top ten alone will cost you a few hundred quid each, boxed that is, but some even cart only. And they're insanely rare too with the rarest releases having less than a dozen known copies.

he means the uk set
there were 280 games in the uk
He should have said so then ;) Where does that number come from then? Even his very own UK database document on his site only has 247 titles on it, including Codemasters.
Image

User avatar
Lorfarius
Posts: 3599
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: Glossop - North West
Contact:

Re: Advice for beginner collector

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:54 am

Why are you being so pedantic? I said in my post I was trying to build a community around the UK NES scene so that's hardly going to involve ALL of Europe like the list you threw up there is it? Seeing as a big chunk of Euro releases never made it out here I'd hardly include them in reference to a UK site/collection :?

Not sure which part of the site you are looking at but the full collectors download sheet has 294 games on it. I've just been through the database lists as well line by line which are completely seperate and the numbers match, there isn't 247 titles in total? Learn to count/read. :evil:

And before you run in here whinging about why did I say 280 odd and not an exact figure is because I couldn't remember the exact number off the top of my head. Eesh.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests