E3 and the origins of gamepads and stuff

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Angry Jock

Re: E3

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:46 am

why has that wii thing got 4 USB port?
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:03 am

To charge the mini TV thing.

No Duke Nukem forever news at this one. Its looking like it isnt coming out.

Oh wait............

Dam

Post by Dam » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:24 am

I think the Wii U is pretty much what we were expecting, and I can't say I'm overly impressed with the hardware, that controller looks stupid and needlessly expensive. Is there any word on copying over our exsiting Virtual Console games?

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:36 am

Nintendo's shares have taken a hit after announcing the Wii U ...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-0 ... ccess.html

They've obviously got some marketing to do. It seems a bit harsh to be judging it in this way already IMO. Money people are such a panicky lot.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:42 am

maybe I'm old - but the Wii U just seems a bit confusing to me - what exactly is it?? :?

yasw

Post by yasw » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:43 am

I fail to see the point with a touchscreen in a controller. When playing on a TV console I will look at the TV screen, not the controller. Why the need for two screens at once? I can only see it somewhat useful in some kind of games. RPGs where you can your inventory, but really, it is defiantly not revolutionizing like the motioncontrol was when it came out. And continue playing when someone will watch something else on the TV? If that is their selling point, then it is totally ridicilous. Sure it is nifty, but with limited practical use for most people.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:48 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:maybe I'm old - but the Wii U just seems a bit confusing to me - what exactly is it?? :?
It's a console.
The main controller has a screen.
The console can wirelessly stream what's being played on it to the controller's screen.

That's the absolute most basic description.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:17 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:maybe I'm old - but the Wii U just seems a bit confusing to me - what exactly is it?? :?
Console+Ipad+BUTTONS=WiiU

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:40 am

Wii U with all it's possibilities.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

Personally, with this initial trailer I think they've gone a bit overkill. Much like Sony with their move commercials, they've overcomplicated it. Half the stuff in the add could've been skipped as they're likely to scare off people who want things kept simple.

Having said that, I do think it looks impressive, with the improved graphical capabilities there should actually be some half decent (non-funware) games involved this time round.
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:47 am

Its funny how before everyone was complaining how much of a pain using the Wiimote and Nunchuck was when theyd much rather be using a gamecube/classic controller for most wii games.
Now with the unveiling of the absolutely insane Wii-U controller, were all hoping you can use the Wiimote instead!

Nintendo have actually managed to make a controller that looks more of b*stard to use than the Wiimote. Congrats!
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:56 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Wii U with all it's possibilities.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

Personally, with this initial trailer I think they've gone a bit overkill. Much like Sony with their move commercials, they've overcomplicated it. Half the stuff in the add could've been skipped as they're likely to scare off people who want things kept simple.

Having said that, I do think it looks impressive, with the improved graphical capabilities there should actually be some half decent (non-funware) games involved this time round.
90% of what I saw in that video are features I'd probably use once if at all. Putting it on the floor to show a golf ball?? What a waste. And how unweildy does it look on that gun attachment.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:58 am

Part of the Wii U intro video had a bit that looked a bit like Silent scope.

Could wii finally have something thats capable of making a decent conversion of Silent Scope?

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:02 am

Few more Wii U details coming out:

Those High Density discs, offer 25GB of storage (same as single layer Blu-ray disc)-Would hope they spin faster than PS3 Blu-ray though, no HDD means no instals to cut down on loading times.

The Multi-Core CPU? Seems similar in design to 360, chip size 45nm (a la 360 Xenon, etc), features IBM's eDram (as does 360) so multi-core CPU should'nt have problems with data transfer due to bandwidth limitations.

Guessing it's been designed so similar to 360 to allow 3rd part developers to bring 360 games to it, but without the 'limits' of DVD.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:03 am

DPrinny wrote:Part of the Wii U intro video had a bit that looked a bit like Silent scope.

Could wii finally have something thats capable of making a decent conversion of Silent Scope?
Thats pretty much what i thought.
Also thought of a great way it could be used with a new Metroid Prime. It could serve as a seperate visor, onscreen displaying Samus's normal vision and through the Wii-U controller Displaying her X-Ray or Heat visor, maybe even allowing you to scan and fire at the enemy simultaneously.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:10 am

I think one of the problems Nintendo will have marketing this to the "hardcore" is that the jazzed up controller just isn't really needed. It's not going to add all that much to actual gameplay. The Wiimote was pretty much the same. It's just a different control method when all's said and done, but at least the Wiimote has a genuine reason for existing when it comes to accessibilty for casual gamers or new gamers.
With the Wii U we're just looking at a gimmicky gamepad. Overkill is the right word for it I reckon. It just seems like a gadget thrown in for the sake of it. People are already seeing it as a possible price gouge too.

I think Nintendo might have sent too many mixed messages out at E3. They could do with getting out some more in-depth releases on this thing. Properly get their vision across. I think they should have announced this at next year's E3 rather than this one.