Anyone here getting a Wii?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

drewbar

Post by drewbar » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:53 pm

Pre-ordered mine yesterday as a nice Chrissy present! Like a few of the people who have posted before, I don't usually purchase a console on launch but instead stick around for a few months to see what happens. Did grab a PSP on launch though and still happy with that. The weird controller excites me, the downloadable retro content - even though I am currently running emus on other systems and my macbook, I am curious if there will be enhancements to some of the earlier games. Speaking to a few guys and also loitering around some of the game establishments in town, there is more positive talk about the Wii rather than the other 2 at this stage. Releasing just in time for Christmas at a great price - Nintendo have the opportunity to curb back some of the market share. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

tcv

Post by tcv » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:12 pm

It certainly seems to be one of the more interesting systems to launch in awhile. I'd like to say Nintendo has never failed, but everyone remembers Virtual Boy. (Or everyone remembers not picking one up.)

I am a little disappointed it's not much more technologically than a GameCube, but the GC is a nice console.

I'm interested in reading the comments here when it comes out! ;)

fraser1

Post by fraser1 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:20 am

This article:Wii Fallacies ,has some good info!

Get a chair as it's nine pages long.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:57 pm

For those who are interested, click the link in my sig where I've started the first of (probably) a 2-part overview on the initial Virtual Console titles in the pipeline.

And yes, I am still editing bits here and there :wink:
Last edited by Sureshot on Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiff

Re:

Post by Spiff » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:46 am

fraser1 wrote: Am i crazy or is it because i want to support and see the wii thrive?

How many of you are doing the same?
I won't be downloading many of the retro games, more interested in the new stuff.

Kai

Re:

Post by Kai » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:38 pm

fraser1 wrote:even though i have just about all my favourite Snes ,Nes, Mega drive,Master system and pc engine games here for free , i am still willing to pay for these games again.
For me this is the reason why downloading the old games is not very interesting. Pay again for games I already have? No way! And especially not for the price they want to charge. And the games are only on my harddisk - no box to touch and smell...
Count me out...

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:26 am

Looking forward to the Turbografx stuff. Hopefully Parasol Stars makes an appearance :D
真・豪鬼

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:38 am

Kai wrote:
fraser1 wrote:even though i have just about all my favourite Snes ,Nes, Mega drive,Master system and pc engine games here for free , i am still willing to pay for these games again.
For me this is the reason why downloading the old games is not very interesting. Pay again for games I already have? No way! And especially not for the price they want to charge. And the games are only on my harddisk - no box to touch and smell...
Count me out...
Surely you'll download the Nintendo stuff they put on there for free though, just think of the possibility of online F Zero X, not costing you a penny. Well, till the microtransactions kick in.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

fraser1

Post by fraser1 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:24 pm

I've changed my mind completely,instead of writing the reasons why again i'll copy my post from C+VG site which was to begin with a response to M$ making movies & tv series available for download:
They'll sting us in the Uk for more just like apple do ,even if you try getting the downloads from a site ,say the french cheaper itunes one ,they check what country your credit card is registered in and ADJUST the price accordingly.

Shocked

WTF - It's took me just til now to realise ,digital downloads should be the same price all over the world ,they're stored on HDDs' so there's no costs like shops have ,no boxes ,no disc ,no chains of stores to pay rents/staff wages ,taxes ,no shipping !

I don't get a real copy of what i've bought ,it's virtual but somehow i have to pay more for a product that doesn't really exist, compared to someone from the states ,japan or even a country just over the way from the UK.

And then they have DRM embedded in them so i am only allowed to play the content on a few of my devices & they can come with expire dates.

GOING SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC: BUT,

I previously sang the praises of the wiis' download service like tweety pie , but now my noggin has caught up with common sense there is no way i'm going to be downloading anything so long as this virtual price difference is in effect!

Heck ,they are going into the dark days in not allowing downloaded games saved to an SD card to be played on a friends machine.

Remember that was a rumour started about ps3 games .
Last edited by fraser1 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:15 am

Bad news :cry:

Just found out that due to a bank error the missus and I owe a fair bit towards our credit card. Which in short means no Wii for a fair while. Cancelling pre-order tomorrow. F*ck I'm pissed off. :evil: :evil: :evil:
真・豪鬼

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:56 am

fraser1 wrote: WTF - It's took me just til now to realise ,digital downloads should be the same price all over the world ,they're stored on HDDs' so there's no costs like shops have ,no boxes ,no disc ,no chains of stores to pay rents/staff wages ,taxes ,no shipping !
There's tax. Digital downloads are subject to tax just as anything else is.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:15 am

Digital Downloads (meh :P)
Im getting a gp2x for xmas for my emulation requirements, I may also be buying works hp ipaq 5550 as well to fill with emulation rubbish :)

If I do get the Wii which is more than likely though I am swaying towards the 360 again (indecisive me as always) then I doubt I will be downloading any of the retro stuff for it, just buying stuff like Zelda , Mario , Mario Party xx , Mario kart , etc...

Ill just get myself a tv out adapter for me Gp2x and download the roms I need for nowt - wahoo
Retro when it wasnt cool

fraser1

Re:

Post by fraser1 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:27 am

Dudley wrote:
fraser1 wrote: WTF - It's took me just til now to realise ,digital downloads should be the same price all over the world ,they're stored on HDDs' so there's no costs like shops have ,no boxes ,no disc ,no chains of stores to pay rents/staff wages ,taxes ,no shipping !
There's tax. Digital downloads are subject to tax just as anything else is.
Effing tax on something that has no physical form,wot a croc of shoite.

It can't be import tax can it,If you say it's import tax i'm going to Image

thundercat

Post by thundercat » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:33 am

i got an email the other day about my Wii pre-order. i ordered from Play.com and it said that due to shortages they may not be able to supply my order on time. is this just a natural thing for a new console just incase there are shortages and has anyone else got this email from play.com?
'The Cat has Spoken'

fraser1

Re:

Post by fraser1 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:35 am

Lindopski wrote:Digital Downloads (meh :P)
Im getting a gp2x for xmas for my emulation requirements, I may also be buying works hp ipaq 5550 as well to fill with emulation rubbish :)

If I do get the Wii which is more than likely though I am swaying towards the 360 again (indecisive me as always) then I doubt I will be downloading any of the retro stuff for it, just buying stuff like Zelda , Mario , Mario Party xx , Mario kart , etc...

Ill just get myself a tv out adapter for me Gp2x and download the roms I need for nowt - wahoo

I have only had my gp2x for about a month and i have more emus on it ,aswell as a modded xbox with EVERY rom & emu to run them and i've even got a stash of them on my lap top.

Good job i came to my senses yesterday as i'd be buying them this time round & they'd be locked to my wii only,WTF.

Wii and cube games only then!