Anyone here getting a Wii?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiniki

Anyone here getting a Wii?

Post by kiniki » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:53 pm

I know its not really a retro question.

However due to the vast library of retro games that could be appearing on the system, I thought I would ask.

Personally, playing a load of Sega & Nintendo's back catalogue is quite an exciting prospect for me. I would prefer to have all the consoles and play them on their original hardware, but I don't really have the space.

It's quite interesting how the Wii is essentially selling itself technically as a more advanced "Light Gun". If you look at the major selling point, its all essentially based on the 'light gun format.

Considering that Light Guns generally die out on consoles, do you think this unique selling point of the Wii will wear off after a couple of months?

Personally I am getting one for the emulation alone.. although it may prove rather expensive.

Your thoughts?

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:46 pm

I am undecided at the moment. Have always been a staunch Sony supporter but have had enough of their mad bumblings and am strongly drawn towards one of the "Other Two".

In fact, the X-Box 360 is sooooo cheap and has built in HD DVD player so maybe both of the alternatives??????

Playing the NES back catalogue is really tempting on the Wii. Solar Jetman here I come!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Mr Winkle

Post by Mr Winkle » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:59 pm

thing is, you can play all the old snes, nes, amiga, megadrive, master system, c64, n64 games free anyway. even if these old games are £2, it's too much. i accept that by downloading these games and playing them via your pc you are strictly speaking breaking the law, but few people care.

i don't think the retro catalogue is enough to guarantee long term success of the console.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:08 pm

There was a poll on here recently, where people getting a Wii won by a considerable majority. I've pre-ordered one.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:12 pm

The Wii is starting to sound too good to be true
Low cost of console
Innovative controls
Classic games available to download cheaply

Where's the catch?!

Nintendo is the only manufacturer from whom I've purchased
all their home consoles.Never really liked PS2 and I've got a decent PC
so don't need XBOX/360
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:18 pm

Having been a huge fan of the GAMECUBE and all of Nintendo's previous consoles, I pre-ordered my Wii as soon as I could.

I hope some of the retro titles become available with enhancements or extras!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:29 pm

Big Yes from me :)

36 days and counting!

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:52 pm

Nope!

Shall I wait for the inevitable drip-feed of retro content so I can once again buy all the old favourites I already bought in the past? Or shall just fire up ZSNES, or Gens, or whatever? Hmm...

As for the new stuff - simply not interested. Zelda isn't a system seller to me since I'm not a great fan of the series to start with. Beyond that there's nothing that even vaguely interests me. Curiously I don't care about Mario Galaxy either - which would have been pretty much the only new game I would have considered.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:01 pm

99% sure I won't be getting one. I only ever have one "current" machine (not counting a PC), and I'll be getting a PS3. If a small black hole opened up and swallowed Sony and all the PS3s, then I'd have to take a very close look at the list of games for the Wii (as it would be the only other option for me), to see if there was anything I would want to play on it.

As mentioned by Mr Winkle, the retro games are already free, so I wouldn't pay for them when I already have them. I couldn't play them on a Wii anyway, unless I could plug in either my Zipstick, or arcade controller.

If the PS3 didn't exist, they'd probably be a 50/50 chance of me getting one, and that's before it's released and I know what's available on it.

devilman

Post by devilman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:02 pm

I never usually get a console at launch but I've pre-ordered a Wii from Gamestation and looking forward to its release. Not fussed about the PS3/Xbox 360 as it's just more of the same.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:12 pm

Think I might eventually, no clutter + new Nintendo games + loads of old games I can play without fiddling about with emulators/setting up the console causing more clutter with machine/boxes/carts etc, etc.

AND LOW LOW PRICE! Not only of the machine, but I do remember Nintendo saying that all Nintendo made games would be free to download, and they do have the majority of the good ones, imo.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

fraser1

Post by fraser1 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:19 pm

I've had mine on pre order for a while, and i pre ordered Zelda TP just yesterday.

http://uk.wii.com/software/01/

For some nice vids showing real people trying the machine & the intro to Zelda .

fraser1

Re:

Post by fraser1 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:22 pm

batman877 wrote:Having been a huge fan of the GAMECUBE and all of Nintendo's previous consoles, I pre-ordered my Wii as soon as I could.

I hope some of the retro titles become available with enhancements or extras!
I hope they enhance the N64 games to get rid of the old soft focus effect they had.

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:23 pm

Still not decided.

I'm going to be getting ff3, panzar tactics, and settlers for my ds lite. And I'm getting the battle for middle earth II expansion for my PC. So that's more than enough to keep me busy over Christmas (plus these games will cost not much short of the console anyway).

Might wait to see what the 3rd party support is like, and if any of the Rare N64 back catalogue is available to download.
c64 > spectrum 48k

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:24 pm

Pre ordered mine with 4 games.

Looking forward to this :D

Where you lot ordering gmes??

Mine are 27quid - which is a pretty damn good price for a new console!