A retro iPhone game I made

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thingonaspring

Re: A retro iPhone game I made

Post by thingonaspring » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:43 pm

thanks very much for this, just used code LKHYFM9LY7F7 and will give it a go via the ipad. 8)
will of course also feedback later. Cheers!

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:39 pm

I've just downloaded this and i have to say that i'm well impressed :D

Good job fella :wink:

raiz

Post by raiz » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks goldeone and thingonaspring.

If anyone has any suggestions for features, I'd be glad to hear them.

I have a few ideas for new additions:

Wall Repair Powerup: When collected will repair the walls that stop the ball from going of out play.

Gravity Pins: These will be little orbs that attract the ball. When the ball gets within it's gravitational pull, the ball will rotate around it, faster and faster and eventually fly off in a random direction.

Portals: Similar to black holes. A level will have at least two portals and when the ball enters one, it will exit from another portal. This should help with some interesting new level designs.

Do these sound like good ideas?

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:36 am

These do indeed sound like good ideas.

Well impressed with the fact your are continually looking to improve what is already a good game :wink:

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:35 pm

I updated Wall Warrior today and so had a few games. I noticed that the power-ups no longer count for the 3 star rating! :D I've now got 3 stars on all first stage apart from 'Towers of Babel' Damn that hell spawn level!! :twisted:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Mire Mare wrote:I updated Wall Warrior today and so had a few games. I noticed that the power-ups no longer count for the 3 star rating!
Wow! That was my suggestion right here in this thread so I'm feeling kinda famous now, lol!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

raiz

Post by raiz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:00 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Mire Mare wrote:I updated Wall Warrior today and so had a few games. I noticed that the power-ups no longer count for the 3 star rating!
Wow! That was my suggestion right here in this thread so I'm feeling kinda famous now, lol!
Hehe, yep I've taken your feedback on board and changed that, thank you very much. I've also fixed the bugs that Mire Mare and Scunny noticed before, so it should be a lot more stable now. I've put a little thank you in the 'credits' section too :)

I really appreciate the help, so thank you again.

Here are some more codes if anyone wants one. (please say which one you've taken so other people know):

3NRTPTTNRWJ7
6WNYTXEF3E7A
H6WYTW7RT974
9Y6LTWFN6WWL
6J99WHWT7NWX
Y3FAAH9PL6TH

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:06 am

Update downloaded & another 5 star review added to itunes.

It really is a very well designed & playable breakout/Arkanoid/Warlords game, hats off to you. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

raiz

Post by raiz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:13 am

the_hawk wrote:Update downloaded & another 5 star review added to itunes.

It really is a very well designed & playable breakout/Arkanoid/Warlords game, hats off to you. :D
Thanks the_hawk :)

I don't remember Warlords. Will have to hunt it down if it's similar to Arkanoid.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:26 am

It's a multiplayer must at retrogaming events. :D

The fact that you have to defend a wall of bricks rather than just losing your ball into oblivion is what reminds me of it.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:48 am

Yeah Warlords is excellent, brilliant multiplayer game. I've got Warlords on the Atari app but its not quite the same.

Anyway its a great day for iOS games, i'm being sad and staying up till midnight tonight to buy quite a few, some right classics.

raiz

Post by raiz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Warlords sounds cool, will definately check it out. Thanks :)

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:06 pm

raiz wrote:Hehe, yep I've taken your feedback on board and changed that, thank you very much. I've also fixed the bugs that Mire Mare and Scunny noticed before, so it should be a lot more stable now. I've put a little thank you in the 'credits' section too :)

I really appreciate the help, so thank you again.

Here are some more codes if anyone wants one. (please say which one you've taken so other people know):

3NRTPTTNRWJ7
6WNYTXEF3E7A
H6WYTW7RT974
9Y6LTWFN6WWL
6J99WHWT7NWX
Y3FAAH9PL6TH
I just watched the credits. That's awesome! 8) :lol: Glad to be helpful. I've posted a brief review on iTunes.

Having been away from the game for a few weeks I've really enjoyed going back to it. In fact I'm enjoying it more than before! I'm still stuck on 1-9 though! Is the 'Wall Repair' power up going to be implemented? I need it! :lol:

I've noticed a couple of things, Raiz. Whilst kicking the hell out of 1-9 I gained over 1000 coins in total. On one of my attempts to 3 star it I inevitable cocked it up and so pressed pause so I could restart. However, I touched pause, touched restart, taped to start and was returned to iOS 'desktop'. A crash of sorts I guess. I restarted the game and the coins tally was back to 450 or so. Secondly, if I restart a game in 1-9, again pausing first, (I do this often!) the in game music doesn't play. If I lose the ball and restart using the 'Stage Failed' screen the music plays ok.

raiz

Post by raiz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:41 pm

I just watched the credits. That's awesome! 8) :lol: Glad to be helpful. I've posted a brief review on iTunes.

Having been away from the game for a few weeks I've really enjoyed going back to it. In fact I'm enjoying it more than before! I'm still stuck on 1-9 though! Is the 'Wall Repair' power up going to be implemented? I need it! :lol:

I've noticed a couple of things, Raiz. Whilst kicking the hell out of 1-9 I gained over 1000 coins in total. On one of my attempts to 3 star it I inevitable cocked it up and so pressed pause so I could restart. However, I touched pause, touched restart, taped to start and was returned to iOS 'desktop'. A crash of sorts I guess. I restarted the game and the coins tally was back to 450 or so. Secondly, if I restart a game in 1-9, again pausing first, (I do this often!) the in game music doesn't play. If I lose the ball and restart using the 'Stage Failed' screen the music plays ok.
Still some more fixing to do then. I've managed to reproduce the music issue you mention, so I'll get that fixed. I'll also cache coins after each stage to the database on the device, so if it does crash for any reason, you won't end up losing a load of coins. That must be pretty annoying for you! sorry...

The 'Wall Repair' and other new bits should be available in the update after next. Once I've got these bugs ironed out, I can start adding new features more easily.

I don't suppose you (or anyone else) is interested in Beta testing new versions? If so, I can send you a test version with level skip and some debug buttons (which makes testing a lot easier). If you're interested, just let me know your iDevice UDID. There are a number of apps on the app store for getting the UDID (just do a search for UDID in the app store). Test releases (or Ad Hoc distributions as Apple calls them, need to be signed for each device they'll be tested on). Just PM me your details and I'll give you a shout once a new version is ready.

Thanks again for the very helpful feedback Mire Mare.

p.s. I see Mire Mare is mentioned in this month's RG :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Mire Mare wrote:I just watched the credits. That's awesome! 8) :lol: Glad to be helpful. I've posted a brief review on iTunes.
Ditto on all counts! Great to see the game currently has an averaged 5-Star rating on iTunes. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac