Games that made you want to take hammer to computer/console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ghostbiscuit

Re:

Post by Ghostbiscuit » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:03 am

eksosrock wrote:It has to be Cannon Fodder for me. One of the jungle levels where I have to tip toe around the traps for a long time and when I finally reached the enemy base, I was shot right away. This happened so many times. I have to this date still not gotten past that level.
Cannon Fodder: one of my favouritest games ever, but I was censored at that bit where you had to jump a river in a skidoo. Never got past that. I think one of my mates had to do it for me... :oops:

Metal Gear 3 too, the first one I think I got through without being spotted, but this one... I had to restart it on very easy to make any sort of headway. And my only tactic is to go nuts with the tranquiliser gun and leg it through the area while everyone's unconscious. Stealth? Not here.

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:57 pm

Chapionship Manager 01/02. It's a long term multiplayer game, between me and my gaming dad. Him as Liverpool, me as Arsenal. Over the last decade, he's dominated Europe, and me the domestic scene. It's the end of the 12/13 season now, and with the league title already in the bag, I come to the final of the Champions League. I'm up against Lazio, a strong team, staring one of my former 'keepers in goal. Half time comes around, and it's still goalless. But in the 88th minute, I manage to score what I assume to be the winner, and dance a merry jig around the room. Only to turn around, and see that Lazio scored in the 89th, 90th, and 91st minute to win 3-1!

Many an expletive was uttered, thats for sure!

eggman1973

Re:

Post by eggman1973 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:01 pm

JamieF wrote:It Had To Be Super Ghouls And Ghosts On the SNES For Me....

Unlimited Continues Isn't Worth Squat If You Are Controlling A Chap With The Manouverability Of A North Sea Oil Rig!!!!!

:lol:
Great game, really, really difficult. Also, Nebulus on the Amiga...

And bizarrely, Arkanoid on the MSX. I vividly remember my old man telling me off for turning the air blue one afternoon!

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:03 am

Army Moves, Exolon, Cybernoid 1 and 2.

All too difficult for their own good with a learning curve steeper than a steep thing from the planet steep.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:17 am

eggman1973 wrote:
And bizarrely, Arkanoid on the MSX. I vividly remember my old man telling me off for turning the air blue one afternoon!
Lol. yeah had the same problem, Just lost a life and your anger took over b4 you could clamp your mouth shut. The amount of times I was banned from the computer for swearing. :lol:
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:24 am

Text adventure games. :evil: I used to play a few on the C64.

They all had pretty poor parsers back then , but I remember one called Circus that came on a compilation tape, was the most frustrating of the lot.

I got 2 or 3 screens through before I got stuck. Everything I tried to type would be answered by "I don't know what [word] means" or "I can't do that" or "you have a very foul mouth" when I inevitably resorted to swearing at the stupid thing.

Then there was the "one wrong move instant death" common in those kind of games. I cant' remember why I bothered playing them.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:27 pm

Navy Moves as well. Perfectly playable, but with a vertical learning curve I was soon playing 'Way of the Exploding Fist' on my Speccy at the same time.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:08 pm

Well one game that I ended up destroying 2 controllers on isn't exactly Retro. It's Grabbed By The Ghoulies on the Xbox. It's such a funny game, but I can't get past the level where you're in a lab and can't hit the skeletons.

I wish I could find a cheat for it!

I can't think of any older games off the top of my head, no doubt there has been a few.

Rob

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu May 10, 2007 7:57 am

I've got two....

Last boss on Onimusha 2 man that made me want to throw my controller through the window was immensly satisfied when I beat him.

Ninja Gaiden for the X box, flying mutated woman that jumps through a stained glas window that throws stone pillars at you, still haven't beaten her. She sends me into a rage that only sitting in another room, counting to 100, and not playing the game for a couple of months quells!! Such a shame as it's one of my favourite games.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Sat May 12, 2007 6:30 am

One springs to mind (a more recent game) - Grabbed By The Ghoulies on the XBOX. I think it's a great game with some good humour but I can't get past Crackpots Lab.

Ahh the amount of abuse I've shouted at the telly when playing that game.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat May 12, 2007 7:42 am

Being a huge fan of the series, you may be shocked but Street Fighter! My god some of the characters are just so s*** to play as, and you get beat so early I could throw myself out the window!!! Have to go back and do some safe Hadokens every now and then to return my sanity!!

hungry_hog

Post by hungry_hog » Sat May 12, 2007 10:01 am

super mario kart

being knocked off the edge on rainbow road or ghost house 3 on the last lap and going from 1st -> 8th :cry:

green beret

being shot by an enemy at point blank range, or getting stuck on a ladder

ghosts n goblins

all the flying enemies are unperdictable, arthur moves slowly = pain

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sat May 12, 2007 2:03 pm

demon cleaner wrote:Green Beret, it just drove me crazy.
Not C64 version, by any chance? drove me totally crazy that did.

neuromancer

Re:

Post by neuromancer » Sat May 12, 2007 2:10 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:
eggman1973 wrote:
Lol. yeah had the same problem, Just lost a life and your anger took over b4 you could clamp your mouth shut. The amount of times I was banned from the computer for swearing. :lol:
I wonder just how many arguments I got into with my mother who opined 'it's only a game' with me shouting back some illogical ill-advised diatribe attempting to convince her that it was so much more important... (shudder, teenage hormones and the zx speccy - not a good combination at times)

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:27 pm

I've been playing computer/video games since the late seventies & have managed to keep my temper in check until a couple of years ago when, on the strength of Driver 1 & 2 i went out & bought Driver 3.
After approximately twenty minutes i smashed the PS2 controller into the floor, destroying it. The game is simply unplayable & the developers should be shot, like the dogs that they are!