Games that made you want to take hammer to computer/console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:04 am

My mind is a foggy mush as far as some of the oldies go for getting the angry beast out of me, but I have 2 xbox games that make me want to swear like a trooper.

WWE wrestlemaina 21 is a git for NEVER allowing reversals and the computer just keeping you on the floor. Mind you, other bugs within the game don't help either. :evil:

On another note, as brilliant as it is, Super monkey ball nearly had me throwing my pad in anger as I lost my 10th life on a nasty level. :evil: :evil:
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:38 am

Gran Turismo.

The licenses. I'm horrible at the game, and I am a perfectionist which means I must get GOLD.

When I don't my teeth clench and I twist the controller.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:40 am

I've not lost my rag with a game for a long time but lately some of the challenges on Amped3 have had me cursing at the screen.
Splink!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:01 am

Super R-Type, those reset points are brutal!

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:16 am

I frequently still scream at the screen in primal rage when on Geo Wars Evolved. The bastards are ganging up on me again!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:34 am

I threw a strop over the weekend whilst playing Spectrum version of Bubble Bobble on PSP. Got to level 19 without losing a life and was looking forward to the treasure room in level 20. But I forgot that up was jump for a split second and died.

I will stick with the Master System / PSOne versions from now on!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

station

Post by station » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:34 pm

Battlefield 2.
I know it's modern and online, but having played Battlefield 1942, BF Desert Combat, and BF Vietnam, and being really good at them, I find this is so frustratingly difficult, I must scare the neighbours by my roars of 'f*cking come on,' etc.

I just cannot shoot anyone. I can't lie down, watch someone walk in front of me and fire two magazines into his head, it's just impossible! And then they turn round jump in the air and shoot me dead with one shot. :(

gmintyfresh

Re: Games that made you want to take hammer to computer/console

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:42 pm

Hmm that last boss on Devil May Cry 4 was a bit "special".

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:02 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:Super R-Type, those reset points are brutal!
Oh man, this is so true. The real R-Types are enough for me, but the restart points (or lack thereof) in Super R-Type don't bear thinking about.
EnglishRob wrote:One springs to mind (a more recent game) - Grabbed By The Ghoulies on the XBOX. I think it's a great game with some good humour but I can't get past Crackpots Lab.

Ahh the amount of abuse I've shouted at the telly when playing that game.
I didn't find the main game too frustrating (although the final boss took me a while to figure out) but the utterly brutal 'Play it Again, Son' challenge (where you have the absolute minimum life and there's no power-ups to be found) had me stuck for ages, with one room (just one room) taking me nearly an hour (and lots of anger) to get past.

Operation Thunderbolt (Arcade) - I learned- the hard way- that you aren't allowed to continue if you die on the final boss. It's a good thing this happened in a public place, otherwise who knows what would've happened...

Truxton (Mega Drive) - Those damn ships that come from the bottom of the screen! I know when they're coming but they still get me every bloody time! And then there's those things on the third level (I think?) that are hard to dodge and explode into huge bullets when you kill them, and the fact that if you so much as look at a bullet funny you'll die. Then when you respawn you've got all the speed of a shopping trilley and you die again and then I remove the cartridge from the Mega Drive and fight the urge to throw it into traffic. (In case you can't tell, I don't like Truxton very much).
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

SpiffierRabbit

Re:

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:15 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:Ninja Gaiden for the X box, flying mutated woman that jumps through a stained glas window that throws stone pillars at you, still haven't beaten her. She sends me into a rage that only sitting in another room, counting to 100, and not playing the game for a couple of months quells!! Such a shame as it's one of my favourite games.
Yeah? Try doing that on the 'Black' version of Ninja Gaiden with the difficulty ramped up to max. Hence the reason I don't own this game anymore!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:24 pm

*Thinks better of mentioning the cheap-ass giant turtle in Ninja Gaiden 2*

On the Amstrad CPC I remember finding Future Knight stupidly tough but nothing, nothing compares to the epic mindfcuk that is Cauldron. I can only assume the programmers for that game were a bunch of filthy sadists! :evil:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Myself-Hitting a wall in the Time Tunnel section of Trojan warrior on the C64.My friend-He took a knife to the disc on MOH:Rising Sun on PS2.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:42 pm

Commandos 2 especially the xbox version. :x
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Most recently it has to be Mario Kart Wii. The sheer unfairness can be utterly infuriating! I stopped playing for a while because it wound me up so much! :lol: I started playing again recently and either I've mellowed or I'm getting less blue shells up the exhaust pipe.

Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 - The initial dodging, punching, kicking of objects before any fighting took place was joystick launching stuff.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:29 pm

As much as I love the game – The swamp section of Curse Of Sherwood on the C64….WHAT is the F’ING point of having a map to the swap that has NO markings that match the layout or swamp WHATSOEVER?!!! :shock: Doesn’t that just make the map totally redundant? :roll:

Another one of my favourite games but growing up it made me actually cry (and I mean weep, like a massive girl) was the NES port of Donkey Kong. That game has had thousands of hours of my life for the past twenty years, and I’m still censored at it……but still I play it EVERY SINGLE DAY!

Alone in the Dark on the 360 – If anyone else was like me, and looked forward to, bought, and tried to play this actual joke of a game will understand why everything in it makes you not only want to smash your console, but makes you want to smash the hands of all the testers who Atari in their infinite wisdom hired to play, and in turn give this piece of proverbial sh*t the green light to go to sale. Worst control system in any game EVER. :evil:

Might I also second Tomb Raider on the PS1. Aftergetting about halfway throu the game, I suddenly got to a point where I honestly spent about two whole hours trying to get her to back flip from one ledge to another. I was ready to snap the disc into bits.