Games that made you want to take hammer to computer/console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Randall Flagg

Games that made you want to take hammer to computer/console

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:40 am

Any games that really drove you to the edge of your sanity, made you scream at your computer / console, made you threaten to throw it as hard as you could at the wall and watch it smash into a thousand pieces.

For me out of the several that I first thought of, Tomb Raider has to be it. After initially completing it I went back and started again this time finding all of the secrets. One secret in the whole game elluded me. I knew exactly where it was but just could not get there. What was worse was that I was playing on the playstation so that every time I messed it up I had to start the level from scratch as there was no save point! Some cussin, screaming and threatening done there!! got so that my then girlfriend would leave the room if I loaded up tomb raider for another stab at getting the elusive secret. Perhaps someone can confirm if its actually possible to get the secret on the playstation version.......

Level 5, St Francis Folly, LONG SLIDE AND SECRET ROOM: At the bottom of the slide there's a secret room which can be a bit difficult to reach. Lara needs to slide down the long slope, drop onto a smaller slope below it and then jump across a gap to reach the secret area. If she misses the jump, she'll fall into the water below uninjured but will then be unable to get the secret. Since you only have one chance, I recommend saving your game here (if you're playing on the PC or Macintosh). To reach the secret with minimal effort, slide down the slope facing uphill. Near the end, press and hold Action so Lara grabs the end of the slide. Pull up and then, as Lara begins to slip off the edge, press and hold the Jump button. She'll land on the short slope below and immediately back flip to land in the opening of the secret room.

Also did anyone else practice the "The computer had it in for me" rules. Basically me and my mate would sit there taing it in turns to play then current popular 8 bit game but we had a rule that in the first few mins you could restart if "The computer had it in for you" on that specific try. Totally stupid premise that an 8 bit micro could "Have it in for you"??!!
Last edited by Randall Flagg on Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:48 am

I love the Championship Manager games but they often drive me to fury. I've lost games due to injury time winners, had new super signings injured for months within days of transferring to me, top strikers just happen to miss open goals in cup finals and all sorts of things that have actually led me to punch my chair in anger.

I'm convinced that the latest installment that I'm playing - Football Manager 2005 - actually really does have it in for me.

Other than that Shadow of the Beast 2 is the only game that has infuriated me with its stupid instant death and nonsensical puzzles.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:07 am

At the moment, Zoo Keeper's absolutely dire Quest mode is making me very tempted to throw my DS through a window. Still, it's a good case study for games designers: how to almost wreck a near flawless game by introducing an element that makes you want to kick the play-testers' faces off*.

* Or not, as I'm not entirely sure anyone at Ignition Entertainment bothered to play test Quest mode.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:11 am

IMHOTEP on the C64!

Ultimate Play the Game? well if they could play that pile of crap then well done to them!

I saw it in John Menzies on its day of release and although it had not been reviewed yet (learned a lesson there) I though an Ultimate game....... GOT TO BUY IT!

I have never been so pissed off! and it was so damn hard to get anywhere. It was about a week later and umpteen times of trying to play the thing that I pulled the tape out of the C2N and threw it at the TV!

Needless to say, it shattered into hundreds of tiny bits!

Best thing that ever happened to it! :evil:

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:21 am

Airwolf on the Speccy.

Didn't just make me want to throw the computer at the wall, it made me want to throw the wall at the computer!
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

Kaptain_Von

Re:

Post by Kaptain_Von » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:38 am

CraigGrannell wrote:At the moment, Zoo Keeper's absolutely dire Quest mode is making me very tempted to throw my DS through a window. Still, it's a good case study for games designers: how to almost wreck a near flawless game by introducing an element that makes you want to kick the play-testers' faces off*.

* Or not, as I'm not entirely sure anyone at Ignition Entertainment bothered to play test Quest mode.
Hmmm! At the weekend I picked up Zoo Puzzle for the PS2 which appears to be exactly the same game as Zoo Keeper (it's not from Ignition but Buddies Inc are involved). It has the quest mode and I was planning on giving it a whirl having played the Time Attack, Whole Hog and standard capture the animals modes . I assume doing so is not recommended ?

Oh and Technician Ted, Fahrenheit 3000 and Airwolf nearly made me launch my Spectrum through the window more than once.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:24 pm

Human Race (C64) by Mastertronic - Way Too Hard and I didn't get off the first screen till I used cheats!

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:46 pm

Kaptain_Von wrote:I assume doing so is not recommended?
I dunno—I've not played the PS2 game. The problem with Zoo Keeper is this: when I play some games, I end up thinking "that's not fair", and then grudgingly accept that my digital character's demise was down to me being crap; but with Zoo Keeper's Quest mode, my failure to reach the top of the high score table isn't down to a lack of skill, but a lack of luck—and I hate games that rely on luck.

I will persevere for a while—I want to unlock the super-hard mode—but if I ever manage to get 10,000+ points on Quest mode, I'm certain I'll never play it again.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:46 pm

Hunchback on the Spectrum. Now, it was my first game, but boy was it hard. I had another go at it the other day - it's still hard. :oops:

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:23 pm

Green Beret, it just drove me crazy.

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:45 pm

Abu Simbel Profanation for me. Play it yourself, experience the punishing difficulty, and have some verbal profanation all of your own.

Also, Spiky Harold. Impossible. The main sprite was too large and too leaden, and the whole game was a tortured farce to endure.

Rise of the Robots. Becase I was stupid enough to pay FULL PRICE for it. I am still having the therapy today, and my Amiga never forgave me.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

samuelpepys

Post by samuelpepys » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:01 pm

V by Ocean for the C64, based on the TV sci-fi series. I just couldn't get beyond the first level.

I always found Elektraglide on the C64 pretty tough (and hugely overrated too).

I think I've always found Defender hard regardless of the format.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:22 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:Also did anyone else practice the "The computer had it in for me" rules. Basically me and my mate would sit there taing it in turns to play then current popular 8 bit game but we had a rule that in the first few mins you could restart if "The computer had it in for you" on that specific try. Totally stupid premise that an 8 bit micro could "Have it in for you"??!!
Yes, we had that rule in-force when we used to play Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo at work for a bit of currency. A couple of the guys were adamant that the Playstation would 'decide' the winner after 10 games had been played, meaning it would have to be switched off and back on again to avoid this phenomenon.

As far as annoying games go, some of those in the RS league have definitely had me at the end of my tether. Buggy Boy is one of them, where I was literally threatening to beat my monitor up at times because of failure. Furthermore, I actually destroyed a pair of headphones last night after screwing up in Galaga '90.

This kind of rage all stems from FPS games for me, as I play heated clan matches quite a bit. The amount of keyboards I've gone through is pretty worrying, but I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be :twisted:

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:42 pm

I actually destroyed a pair of headphones last night after screwing up in Galaga '90.
Says the man who is currently several galaxies ahead of most of us in the Galaga league!

I wish I could screw up that badly :wink:

Your score is about 7 times higher than most submitted scores!

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:50 pm

I can't remember the specifics, but I do remember Molecule Man on the Speccy being ludicrously difficult. I don't know why, whether in retrospect it was me being rubbish, or the game was unfair or glitchy. I just have this hazy, crimson-hued memory of the game driving me insane.