So, who doesn't give a crap about Zelda?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

How do you feel about the Zelda series?

BEST GAMES EVARR!
30%
Good, but over-rated
16%
A mixed bag
20%
SNORE.
34%

Total votes: 116

ChipTune

Re: So, who doesn't give a crap about Zelda?

Post by ChipTune » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:01 pm

PanzerGeneral wrote:I liked the early Zelda games but lost the will to live as we got to the N64 incarnations.
Seems to me that there are a lot of fanboys'n'girls who try to overstate the impact of Zelda - it gets treated in the same way as the fecal matter which is Harry Potter (ohh you must see the latest one - it's the darkest yet!!!) - no it is not! - it is purile tosh that was aimed at kids - I suppose they probably think that Pokemon is a recognised world religion.
Harry Potter is absolute gash yes...

You should check this out if you havent already then..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARa2eQ4Rqk0

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Harry Potter isn't at all gash though. It is a brilliantly woven story that is designed to appeal to a huge range. If people don't like it then fair enough but you cannot judge it on the movies alone.

Zelda is fantastic but one of the reasons I don't hold Ocarina in the same esteem as everyone else is that it is pretty much retreading old ground in 3D. There are so many elements from the other Zelda games that have been re-used over and over and this is also the case with Ocarina. I think Link to the Past is a better game. It did pretty much the same thing 7 years earlier, just not in 3D.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

van

Post by van » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:39 am

I finish the original NES version annually.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:30 am

Recieved my OoT preorder bonus through the post today!
Im a little surprised to see they did actually send it in a box. I thought theyd just send the sleeve and poster by themselves. Now i have 2 cases for 1 game!?

Weird thing is it comes in a nintendo sealed shrink rap, so it seems they never intended to have the game inside it. Seems like a very strange way of doing things.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:45 pm

nakamura wrote:Zelda is fantastic but one of the reasons I don't hold Ocarina in the same esteem as everyone else is that it is pretty much retreading old ground in 3D. There are so many elements from the other Zelda games that have been re-used over and over and this is also the case with Ocarina. I think Link to the Past is a better game. It did pretty much the same thing 7 years earlier, just not in 3D.
"Just not in 3D"? I think the shift to 3D changed an awful lot. It's not as if OoT is a remake of LttP in 3D, it's a whole new game entirely. Also while they share many of the same weapons, there are a lot of features that elevate it above LttP for me. For a start the combat, in OoT it is a big part of the gameplay and it's handled perfectly with the Z-Targeting system, in LttP it is fiddly by comparison and doesn't share the same playability at all (not even necessarily better or worse, but they both play very different to each other).

Also there is no horse riding, day/night cycle, fishing and many other little things. I think there's a distinct lack of atmosphere in LttP, in OoT I feel like I am IN Hyrule and can appreciate all the detail in the world that was never possible with LttP, that's a pretty huge thing I think. At times it can even feel creepy!

Personally speaking I just prefer OoT's setting and I think it's a more sophisticated and clever game than LttP but I think it's very hard to compare them just as it is a 2D Mario game with a 3D one. Mario 64 trod a lot of old ground in terms of core design but it was a completely different experience to it's older 2D brothers.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:26 pm

Of course it added plenty of new bits and combat as you said was much improved. Also the game world is perhaps more 'real' but for me that doesn't make it better. The two world system had been done already on LttP and many dungeons had pretty similar ideas. Also going back to the first game in the series and you realise how little it has actually progressed in many areas, not just Ocarina, the series in general.

I can certainly agree that Ocarina performs better as a game. It just didn't feel as fresh to me or as exciting as the other games in the series which is why I didn't hold it in the same esteem as others. After Link's Awakening I never completed a Zelda until returning to the series in the last 12 months. Ocarina frankly bored me around the halfway mark. That said I managed to get to the water temple on the GC version but again I stopped playing for some reason.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:58 pm

I think if you found OoT boring around the halfway mark then something was going pretty wrong, although I can understand why you felt like that as I've felt the same when I wasn't in the right mind set/mood. I said it before in this thread but I think to get the most out of Zelda games you have to put a bit in, (as I'm sure you're aware from your play-throughs of LoZ and Oracle of Ages) and that is so true for OoT and Majoras.

I think while you are going through your Zelda phase you MUST pick up a 3DS soon with a copy of OoT as the new style visuals pull you in so much more now. The enjoyment I'm getting from it is off the charts, it's up there with the very best games I've ever played and I'm sure it'll be the same for you.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:15 pm

nakamura wrote:Harry Potter isn't at all gash though. It is a brilliantly woven story that is designed to appeal to a huge range. If people don't like it then fair enough but you cannot judge it on the movies alone.

Zelda is fantastic but one of the reasons I don't hold Ocarina in the same esteem as everyone else is that it is pretty much retreading old ground in 3D. There are so many elements from the other Zelda games that have been re-used over and over and this is also the case with Ocarina. I think Link to the Past is a better game. It did pretty much the same thing 7 years earlier, just not in 3D.
IT'S A CHILDRENS BOOK !!
IT'S A CHILDRENS BOOK !!
IT'S A CHILDRENS BOOK !!
IT'S A CHILDRENS BOOK !!
IT'S A CHILDRENS BOOK !!

It's on a par with http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preschool-Workb ... 194&sr=1-1

Honestly what the f*ck is wrong with everyone

"Have you read the new Harry Potter book, Stew, it’s good, have you read it?" No, I haven’t read it, because I’m a forty-year-old man. "You should read it, Stew, it’s about a wizard in a school." I’m not reading it! I’m a grown— I’m an adult! "Have you read Harry Potter, Stew, and the— and the Tree of Nothing?" No, I haven’t. I haven’t read it, but I have read the complete works of the romantic poet and visionary William Blake. So censored off."

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:48 pm

ChipTune wrote: "Have you read the new Harry Potter book, Stew, it’s good, have you read it?" No, I haven’t read it, because I’m a forty-year-old man. "You should read it, Stew, it’s about a wizard in a school." I’m not reading it! I’m a grown— I’m an adult! "Have you read Harry Potter, Stew, and the— and the Tree of Nothing?" No, I haven’t. I haven’t read it, but I have read the complete works of the romantic poet and visionary William Blake. So censored off."
Ahh Stewart Lee :D Such an amazing and incredibly overlooked comedian.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:52 pm

ChipTune wrote:
nakamura wrote:Harry Potter isn't at all gash though. It is a brilliantly woven story that is designed to appeal to a huge range. If people don't like it then fair enough but you cannot judge it on the movies alone.

IT'S A CHILDRENS BOOK !!
IT'S A CHILDRENS BOOK !!
IT'S A CHILDRENS BOOK !!
IT'S A CHILDRENS BOOK !!
IT'S A CHILDRENS BOOK !!

It's on a par with http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preschool-Workb ... 194&sr=1-1

Honestly what the f*ck is wrong with everyone

"Have you read the new Harry Potter book, Stew, it’s good, have you read it?" No, I haven’t read it, because I’m a forty-year-old man. "You should read it, Stew, it’s about a wizard in a school." I’m not reading it! I’m a grown— I’m an adult! "Have you read Harry Potter, Stew, and the— and the Tree of Nothing?" No, I haven’t. I haven’t read it, but I have read the complete works of the romantic poet and visionary William Blake. So censored off."
Clearly you lack the intelligence to appreciate the subtleies in the book. :wink: It is so much more than just a childrens book. There is a lot of wit and mature humour in the text. Not mature as in outright rude, but mature in a lookback on the silly things about school life. Homeworks, nasty teachers, sports, relationships and so much more.
Yes it has a wizard based plot, after all the basis of the story is fantasy. Its nice to have real world situation of life mixed in with a fantasy setting.

I have read all of the books countless times. There is so much content that I can relate to in them from my youth and to some extent adulhood.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:01 pm

C=Style wrote:I think if you found OoT boring around the halfway mark then something was going pretty wrong, although I can understand why you felt like that as I've felt the same when I wasn't in the right mind set/mood. I said it before in this thread but I think to get the most out of Zelda games you have to put a bit in, (as I'm sure you're aware from your play-throughs of LoZ and Oracle of Ages) and that is so true for OoT and Majoras.

I think while you are going through your Zelda phase you MUST pick up a 3DS soon with a copy of OoT as the new style visuals pull you in so much more now. The enjoyment I'm getting from it is off the charts, it's up there with the very best games I've ever played and I'm sure it'll be the same for you.
A few minor reasons I didn't get on with it like others are the sometime ugly characters. The fairies were really odd looking and somewhat out of character to the feel of the series. Also the visuals, while nice were not as vibrant as LttP and I never liked the sampling of the music as much, though the actual tunes were good.

I will get OoT3D. I can't wait in fact. I love the fact it is portable now, for some reason I love playing Zelda on a portable. The other is the visuals look a millions times nicer then the old version.

I never actually played Majora at all. By the time it had come out I had completely moved from current gen Nintendo, not to return for some time. I pretty much had enough of all of their repeated IPs around the turn of the millenium. I found though I loved a few, Starfox and F-Zero mainly, I still prefered many of the SNES originals. This continued into the GCN, Mario Galaxy was average, Starfox was poor, Wind Waker never appealed, F-Zero GX was ok, but it felt more like a tech demo, no physics!

Anyway i'm kinda pleased that happened as now I can embrace the games I missed. Wind Waker is something that really appeals now, think it looks beautiful. Ocarina is a title I will finish though. I am at the Water Temple on the GC version as I said, I should just load it up to carry on really.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:26 pm

I understand about the bright and vibrant look of LttP and that's something I see in Skyward Sword too, and OoT 3D is vastly more colourful and vibrant to the murky N64 original. Sound quality wise, I don't think you will have any complaints, playing through a good set of headphones it's very good quality, in fact I'd forgotten how lovely the tunes are and just how many of them there are too.

Yeah, I think it would be a good time to play through Wind Waker before Skyward Sword, that's what I'm gonna be doing anyway. 8)

Kai

Do you get the ZELDA love?

Post by Kai » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:43 am

With the Zelda remake getting a whopping 98% in the latest issue of RG (and yes, other magazines are also as crazy about the game), I was wondering if I'm the only person on this planet that does not get the ZELDA love?
I mean, I can see that they are brilliantly crafted games, yet they don't hook me as much as, say, the FINAL FANTASY games.
Opinions?

snowkatt

Re: Do you get the ZELDA love?

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:45 am

the final fantasy games bar 7 dont do anything for me at all
as far as zelda goes its a mixed bag i like oot ( other then that nintendo ..oh alright i wont beat that horse with a stick no more ! ) and majora ( especially majora )
but i dont care for the others and i feel the series is stagnating its just oot ( there we go again ) with a fresh coat of paint
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:49 am

I can see that they are very well crafted games but they simply do not hook me. At all.
I neither like the "cute" characters nor the look and feel of the games. The stories do not interest me and there's no sense of real danger.
Hate mode out.
:mrgreen: