So, who doesn't give a crap about Zelda?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

How do you feel about the Zelda series?

BEST GAMES EVARR!
30%
Good, but over-rated
16%
A mixed bag
20%
SNORE.
34%

Total votes: 116

nakamura

Re: So, who doesn't give a crap about Zelda?

Post by nakamura » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:38 pm

killbot wrote:
snowkatt wrote:has ocarina of time actually aged gracefully ?
in graphics not in game play zelda has been stagnant ever since ocarina of time

the graphics to me stil look decent 13 years on
I don't think the graphics in OoT look bad today by any means. I think graphically the series has stagnated somewhat, mainly because of the Americans and their horrified reaction to Wind Waker, which made the team decide to go back to a much more Ocarina-esque graphical style for Twilight Princess. Hopefully Skyward Sword's graphical style, which is kind of halfway between WW's cartoonishness and TP's LOTR-inspired magical realism will please everyone. Though doubtless it won't.

The Americans have not helped my enjoyment of Zelda at all, actually. In addition to forcing the team to abandon Wind Waker's gorgeous graphical style, it was them who complained so bitterly about what a crap character Tingle was that the team decided not to use him again. I love Tingle!
To be fair at the time I hated the style of Wind Waker, now I think it is stunning.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

corbo

Post by corbo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:29 pm

My problem was that I played Ultima 6 and 7 through before playing my first Zelda. As a result the massive and immersive world people rave about was actually restrictive and pretty limited in comparison. Ultima was awesome (up until 8)

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:55 pm

the zelda series is great....up until twilight princess and phantom hourglass both of which truly bored me.

i submit that wind waker, links awakening, link to the past and minish cap are all engaging entertainments, sir.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:33 pm

I just found out that the australian preorder of Ocarina of Time 3DS actually comes with a fully functional ocarina and song sheets to play the music from the game.

What the hell UK!? WHERE MY OCARINA!?
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:36 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:I just found out that the australian preorder of Ocarina of Time 3DS actually comes with a fully functional ocarina and song sheets to play the music from the game.

Are you around nine years old per chance? :roll:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:38 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:I just found out that the australian preorder of Ocarina of Time 3DS actually comes with a fully functional ocarina and song sheets to play the music from the game.

Just wait until you see what comes with the High School Musical game!!!! :o

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:39 pm

21 tomorrow actually.

Screw you, i wanna make music! :D

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:45 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:21 tomorrow actually.

I'm sure there'll be a Justin Bieber game on 3DS for you in good time so don't be stressing too much!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Ill be all over that.
Dont tell me you HAVENT caught the highly infectious Bieber Fever?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:54 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:Ill be all over that.
Dont tell me you HAVENT caught the highly infectious Bieber Fever?
Nah, too busy rocking out with Ulala and Space Michael. :mrgreen:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:53 am

ShadowNeku wrote:21 tomorrow actually.

You can buy an Ocarina for under a tenner online.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Zapper

Post by Zapper » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:50 pm

To answer your question Stu "Who doesn't give a crap about Zelda?" I would say most of the people I know in real life.

Not me though, I love the series. It might be interesting though if some mainstream games reviewer gave a Zelda game a bad score.

If you liked Phantom Hourglass to some degree you might like Spirit Tracks more. It does have a dungeon you have to revisit but this time whenever you have to return to it a new doorway in a quiet hallway near the beginning opens, making it far less torturous.
An Irish Nintendo fan's blog
http://irishnintendofan.blogspot.com

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:08 am

Zelda is great as a game. As a franchise, not so much. I played A Link To The Past as my first Zelda title and loved every second. Maybe it was my age, but it was an adventure that I lived; one of my most cherished gaming experiences.

Ever since then I've bought nearly every Zelda game only to give up, be it within a couple of sessions (Twilight Princess) or after I've got far enough in to want to move on to something else (Ocarina Of Time). They're all good adventures taken on their own, I'm sure, but it's a thankless task being Link and rescuing that woman time after time. Zelda Fatigue became a frequently used phrase many iterations ago.

And the worst thing about all of this? I've only gone and pre-ordered Ocarina Of Time 3D. I can't help myself, and I bet I don't even make it to where I left off last time.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:55 am

Suddenly I want to play Zelda a LOT:

NSFW joke below:
Is she too tight? Then TRI-FORCE!!!

Sorry. I'll get me coat. :oops:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

yasw

Post by yasw » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:06 am

I have downloaded A Link to the Past for Virtual Console, but haven't played it that much. It falls in between what I like in these kind of games, which is either turnbased RPG or violent hack-n-slash. Zelda is neither, a bit to "cute" and with puzzles. Still, ALttP has its good sides. There are less talking and some freedom regarding where to go next.