So, who doesn't give a crap about Zelda?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

How do you feel about the Zelda series?

BEST GAMES EVARR!
30%
Good, but over-rated
16%
A mixed bag
20%
SNORE.
34%

Total votes: 116

Rev. Stuart Campbell

So, who doesn't give a crap about Zelda?

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sun May 29, 2011 9:30 am

I was interested to read this month's feedback thread and see a lot more people than I'd expected going "Meh" about the massive Zelda overload. I've can't remember ever hearing or reading anyone say a bad word about the series, and it's always been my guilty videogamer secret shame that I really don't care about the little pixie-eared twatsack.

(I've tried most of the Zelda games at one point or another, and the only one I even came close to liking was Phantom Hourglass on the DS, which I put a good few hours into before giving up in disgust when it tried to make me do the same fricking dungeon for about the seventh time.)

Mostly I just feel like a clumsy, lumbering idiot who's getting in the way of someone telling their kids a bedtime story. All that ever seems to happen is that I meet Character A and get told to go to Location B and talk to Character C, who sends me to Location E (Location D being mysteriously blocked off at this point) where I talk to Character F who tells me to go to Location G and talk to Character H, who sends me on an errand to Location I where etc etc etc etc. I never feel like I'm in control of anything - if I try to do something that isn't part of the plot, either it'll be locked off or the game will just stand there tutting impatiently and drumming its fingers until I get back in line.

The player's only purpose in most of the Zelda games I've played is to crank the handle and move the story along, like a hamster on a wheel powering a movie projector. It's Final Fantasy with fewer random battles and a largely illusory sense of greater freedom, and Final Fantasy is awful. Throw in a twee sub-Tolkien woodland-elves setting and a hackneyed rescue-the-princess theme and it's borderline embarrassing for anyone over the age of nine to be spending time on. (Mario, on the other hand, I'll happily admit to adoring in adult company, because it's an utterly sublime illustration of how unique and original and incredible videogaming can be.)

So who's with me?
Last edited by Rev. Stuart Campbell on Sun May 29, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

felgekarp

Re: So, who doesn't give a crap about Zelda?

Post by felgekarp » Sun May 29, 2011 9:33 am

I've played Wind Waker for about half an hour and that's only because I liked the cartoony style of the graphics.
Splink!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun May 29, 2011 9:38 am

I'm in.Just cannot see the appeal personally, each time i've given them a crack (Snes, N64) just come away bored to tears.

Zelda seems to get treated, reviews wise with same 'Thou Shalt Not Speakth Foul Of' approach as : Halo,Anything Rockstar produce etc.

I did like the graphic style of Wind Walker, but if it was animation i wanted, i'd throw on a DVD film.Expected games like Zelda to grip me.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun May 29, 2011 9:48 am

Zelda is an utter snore fest for me, I think the Nintendo games are so over rated and actually think the CD-i games are under rated and not nearly as bad as people like to make out.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun May 29, 2011 9:58 am

You realise ofcourse that you're points could be applied to any game....

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun May 29, 2011 10:02 am

I love Zelda games through and through - they are a shining example of how to make a complete experience - they don't feel rushed or unfinished and are a pleasure to play. I've finished them all and will continue to do so in future. It's like an old friend coming home when a new one comes out.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun May 29, 2011 10:03 am

Also I can't vote in your current system - I'd don't think they are over-rated nor do I think they are
Best game evarrrrr - I'd like to vote as 'excellent game'

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sun May 29, 2011 10:15 am

Well I fell by the wayside after Majora's Mask tbh. That was pretty much where me and all the major Nintendo franchises parted company. Haven't touched a Zelda game since.
I liked Ocarina. I liked Majora even more. I thought Link To The Past was decent enough to play to a finish.

They're overrated around these parts I feel.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Sun May 29, 2011 10:35 am

I've only played one of them seriously (Link to the Past) and I thought it was OK to begin with but I just got bored traipsing around trying to find my way around the map after he gets stuck in the past... Very tedious in my opinion...
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun May 29, 2011 10:36 am

Zelda games are fcuking sh1t, all of them.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sun May 29, 2011 10:38 am

It's a snore for me as well. I don't find the worlds in the games particularly engaging or immersive, and as such, I spend my entire time wondering when the game is going to start.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sun May 29, 2011 10:39 am

Imho the best way to dive into the Zelda universe is A Link to the Past. It has lovely graphics, the gameplay is easy to get hold of and contrary to what you said above you're pretty free to go whereever you want to after a while. Of course with the usual "get a new item to expand the reachable world" formula.

Your point about linearity is unfair though. ANY narrative game bar a very few exceptions fits your description. You're not in control of the actual story in 99% of the story-driven games.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 29, 2011 10:52 am

Zeldas a bitch.
Shes got a bloody army (and some kind of ninjas) and instead sends one country boy out to save the day

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:01 am

Not keen on any of them , always thought it was me , but this thread shows its not.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:05 am

Never played one, and can't see that changing. I just know it won't be my bag.