An end to your retro gaming passion ?.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

boyo

Post by boyo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:51 am

Geometry Wars is the game I have played most on my 360 followed by Call of Duty 2.

GW is awesome and makes my eyes bleed.

Sabreman

Re:

Post by Sabreman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:39 am

muse hunter wrote:ppffffft, better than Oblivion, dead rising, and dead or alive 4? i think you've been smoking dodgy sh!t, the kind of high powered sh!t that is usually transported to this country via a mexican's arse
Yep. Dead Rising got boring very quickly. DoA is just another entry in a second-tier fighting franchise that never interested me, and Oblivion's another accomplished, pretty but mechanical RPG that didn't engage or excite me in the slightest.

Smoking's bad, mmkay.

tcv

Re:

Post by tcv » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:51 am

muse hunter wrote:
Sabreman wrote:Best game on the 360?

Geometry Wars. Seriously.
ppffffft, better than Oblivion, dead rising, and dead or alive 4? i think you've been smoking dodgy sh!t, the kind of high powered sh!t that is usually transported to this country via a mexican's arse
They're so different, how can they be compared?

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:55 am

The reason I bought my 360 was to play Geometry Wars 2.

Dead Rising's worth about 7 out of 10. Yes, it looks nice, but it's very annoying to play. Whoever thought the bosses were a good thing to put in this game needs shooting.

Oblivion looks amazing, but it's not 'that' exciting to play.

Dead or Alive 4 looks nice, but in my opinion it's not as good as Virtua Fighter 2 or 3 (I couldn't get on with 4).

muse hunter, I think you need to appreciate that people have different tastes :)
Last edited by roberthazelby on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox Live: roberthazelby | The Retro Ranch | The Retro Ranch Blog

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:14 am

roberthazelby wrote: muse hunter, I think you need to appreciate that people have different tastes :)
NEVER!!!!!! :twisted:

Kai

Re:

Post by Kai » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:59 am

necronom wrote:I think I'll always be playing computer games.
Yep, me too! 8)

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:33 am

muse hunter wrote:'ll pick up a 360 so there will be no need to play retro for a while
And also no point to go to retro forums either ?? Please ?!

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:42 pm

I think the 80s era will always have a small following, but I think the period from the Playstation era to now will not have as great an interest in years to come. The sort of games that dominated that period don't translate well in terms of giving an immediate thrill. And they're not as good either. Just look at the awful decline in genres when you look at the retro section of gamestation. You look at NES/Master System titles, and there are countless types of games. Then you see the N64 and Saturn, and it's nearly all EA Sports and driving sims.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:01 pm

I haven't looked into it at any great length, but the impression I get from the PS era onwards is the overwhelming neccessity to spend a great deal of time with a game. Sure, in the 8 and 16-bit years we had plenty of mammoth RPGs and adventure games but we also had a wealth of 'pick up and play' stuff. That's disappearing rapidly from the mainstream now. Even the likes of Sonic have morphed into story-led collect 'em ups. Something I miss a lot is booting up a game and being right in the thick of the action within seconds, playing for ten minutes and feeling satisfied.

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:39 am

At 35, my other main hobbies are writing and recording music and, much more recently, photography (Just splashed out £800 on a digital SLR - a Canon 350D with an extra 55-250mm zoom). These hobbies are taking more and more of my time and space to the extent that I am toying with the idea of selling my Amstrad collection (games and magazines), general retro computing collection and retro gaming magazines (with binder!) to make space for photo album/storage boxes etc and also fund my hobby - buying more filters, a flash and so on.

But actually playing retro games is something I just know I will never tire or get bored off. There will always be times in my life where I will grab a quick ten minute fix of Get Dexter or Head Over Heels or Jet Set Willy and remember my computer geek days of the eighties with a fond smile.
Last edited by GetDexter on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:26 am

Damn your missus must be a goodun if your spending a lot of money on a camera and your hobbies !

Agree with you about the retro gaming, like you say its easy to get a 10 minute fix and have a quick go of some classic game

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:21 am

My missus loves games. She loves two player sessions on Timesplitters (original PS2 version) with me and also loved watching me play Theme Park World and, most of all, Half Life 1. She never wanted to play the games herself but was fascinated by the original Half-Life...
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:19 pm

Spector wrote:I think the 80s era will always have a small following, but I think the period from the Playstation era to now will not have as great an interest in years to come. The sort of games that dominated that period don't translate well in terms of giving an immediate thrill. And they're not as good either. Just look at the awful decline in genres when you look at the retro section of gamestation. You look at NES/Master System titles, and there are countless types of games. Then you see the N64 and Saturn, and it's nearly all EA Sports and driving sims.
errr i don't think you should be using gamestation as a comparison for retro consoles, all they have fo every format is EA games. And the saturn, well the saturn has the biggest following full stop, it has countless gems and has and always will have a larger fanbase than all other retro consoles (maybe the NeoGeo excluded)

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:24 pm

Er... is that a quantified fact or are you just making stuff up? I find it hard to believe that the Saturn has a broader following than the SNES (for example), seeing as most of its best and most collectable games were confined to Japan, and on top of that are part of a very particular genre.

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:11 pm

Sabreman wrote:Er... is that a quantified fact or are you just making stuff up? I find it hard to believe that the Saturn has a broader following than the SNES (for example), seeing as most of its best and most collectable games were confined to Japan, and on top of that are part of a very particular genre.
if your dediacted enough to be dedicated to a console then i'm sure that you'd be importing, i don't believe there are many saturn fanboys without a jap saturn, either way why would you collect videogames and buy pal? The snes hasn't got much of a dedicated following because a) it isn't very collectable, b) many of its games have been refined on other formats, and c) most of the great games in the snes's back catalogue have been discovered and milked by gamers, nintendo at the time had the ability to throw its weight behind any great titles, so there ain't too much undiscovered gems.

While the saturn has tons of undiscovered gems, how many here can say you've played prikura daisakusen, or princess crown? but they're two games everyone should play, their that good but at the same time little known. Theres absolutely countless collectable games on the format, and the saturn has an abundance of shooters, fighters, and quality arcade games that attract a huge fanbase. Finally SEGA are no longer in the hardware game, and this has only upped the popularity of their consoles.