An end to your retro gaming passion ?.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PINMAN

An end to your retro gaming passion ?.

Post by PINMAN » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:58 pm

At almost 45 years of age,i am probably one of the oldest members at this particular place,and with that thought in my head,i then started to wonder if there would ever come a time at some future point,when i'll say bugger it all,and just call it a day,as far as retro gaming is concerned.
As people get older,they often tend to change their opinions/attitudes towards certain things(fashion/music/politics etc etc),hence me wondering if i'll ever lose my love for this interest of mine.
Even though i've personally been playing video games for the best part of 30 years now(God i feel old....heck,i am old :D ),there's obviously no guarantee that i'll still have the same passion for retro gaming,within a few years time(or maybe just a few months or so,even).
Any thoughts reguarding this issue ?.Do you think that you'll ever tire of it all,or do you reckon you will carry on,till your last dying breath ? :lol:

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:41 pm

I will continue to play the likes of Bubble Bobble etc until the day I die.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:11 pm

I think I'll always be playing computer games. I might have to lower the difficulty level when I get to about 70 though :)

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:17 pm

I've been playing computer games myself for over 30 years now, and I actually play more on retro-games now than ever before thank's to emulation.

It's great to be able to look back, put the graphics and sound aside and concentrate on the gameplay. Some of those games of old were damn hard compared to todays games, but they always got you to go that one screen further.

May I play retro-games (and some modern games such as Pro-Evo) for many years to come!

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:24 pm

Because computer games only started being played (in large no.s) in the early 80's - only the majority of people growing up then and younger play computer games. It is still a relatively new medium of entertainment.

So say someone was 15 in 1981, they would be around 40 now.

Now if you follow my logic, anyone older than this, will think that playing compter games is childish and not understand what playing games is all about. As we get older though the average age of gamers will continue to rise. Obviously a percentage will stop playing games though. So when we reach our 70's, it will be common for every age group to play computer games.

This is why 50 year olds still try to play football for a Sunday league team, because football has been around for so long. In 40 years time it will be the same for computer games.
c64 > spectrum 48k

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:08 pm

I go through phases but I always seem to drift back to gaming in some for or other. One thing I have learned over the years is if I'm not enjoying a game immensely I'll not bother with it. I know a lot of people struggle through frustrating, buggy or just plain crappy games but I don't have the patience for that anymore.

At the moment I'm very much taken with the remakes scene as well as revisiting some old favourites, and for me that's where the fun lies now. I'm really unfazed by pretty much everything 'new' that's happening in the mainstream games industry - it genuinely doesn't interest me any more. Something's been lost somewhere along the way... I'm trying to put my finger on what. Anyway, seeing as retrogaming takes up 99% of my gaming interest I guess one day I'll have exhausted everything I wanted to sample, but by that time I'll probably be too crusty to hold a pad :D

Spector

Re:

Post by Spector » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:13 am

kaiserpc wrote:Because computer games only started being played (in large no.s) in the early 80's - only the majority of people growing up then and younger play computer games. It is still a relatively new medium of entertainment.

So say someone was 15 in 1981, they would be around 40 now.

Now if you follow my logic, anyone older than this, will think that playing compter games is childish and not understand what playing games is all about. As we get older though the average age of gamers will continue to rise. Obviously a percentage will stop playing games though. So when we reach our 70's, it will be common for every age group to play computer games.

This is why 50 year olds still try to play football for a Sunday league team, because football has been around for so long. In 40 years time it will be the same for computer games.
I would be very surprised if computer games as we recognise them are still around in 40 years time.

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:15 am

Scooby1970 wrote:I've been playing computer games myself for over 30 years now, and I actually play more on retro-games now than ever before thank's to emulation.
I'm the same, i rarely play console/PC games just because i dont have enough time not because i'm so retro-biased.

With emulation i can have a quick go on the Pocket PC or GP2X and then come back to it later. Love discovering 'new' games on old systems i havent tried before.

Nice seeing retro being so popular again. The latest console games of course have amazing sound/graphics etc but it comes down to how playable it is, plus like i say i just dont have time to load up some huge PC epic anymore

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:27 am

When I'm 45 games like 'Resident Evil 4' will be retro. I wonder if anyone will try to remake that?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:28 am

I think that as I get older and become less able, with all the free time I'll have not working I'll probably play more retro games than ever.

Its an ideal time to go back to text adventures and logic puzzles, requiring no fast reflexes but taxing the old grey matter instead, which is ideal for the elderly.

And of course the current gen will be retro by the time I retire. Maybe then I'll accept PS1 then ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:31 am

Have to admit there was a period of about 2 years where I didn't own any system. I sold my SNES (stupid I know, I live with it every day :cry: ) to buy a guitar. Needless to say the band went nowhere, and I then splashed out on an N64 after playing a demo at the local shopping centre.

I worry about my passion for gaming dying all the time, as it seems to be in a premptive stage at the moment. Sure, the retro games are still well and good as we all know, but I'm becoming very jaded about the current crop. Most of it sucks, basically, with the PS2 as the main culprit. I fear the Wii may be my last console, before I pass it all on to my kids. Having said that I of course hope I'm still gaming on my death bed and they have to pry the DS out of my cold dead hands, but the way things are going, it looks like I may only be "retro retro" gaming by then.
真・豪鬼

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:34 am

I'm hoping that I'll stick with it & I think the older I get (I'm 35) the more I'm wanting to look back at games that I've missed over the years. I'm already playing less & less fast paced games & as Antiriad2097 said, I'll probably go for the slower paced games that I've overlooked in the past.

muse hunter

Post by muse hunter » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:13 am

games are better than ever, so modern games will always come in front of retro, this winter hopefully i'll pick up a 360 so there will be no need to play retro for a while

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:25 am

Best game on the 360?

Geometry Wars. Seriously.

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:16 am

Sabreman wrote:Best game on the 360?

Geometry Wars. Seriously.
ppffffft, better than Oblivion, dead rising, and dead or alive 4? i think you've been smoking dodgy sh!t, the kind of high powered sh!t that is usually transported to this country via a mexican's arse