Games that were a labour of love....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Games that were a labour of love....

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Good choice for the early Pro Evo games,

and another vote for the Championship Manager and Football Manager series (basically all the ones by SI).

Pinball FX 2 is another I would vote for and the Virtua Fighter series deserves a mention.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Mon May 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Panzer Dragoon Orta. I don't even like the game that much, but every inch of the game has oodles of love pouring out of it.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon May 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Deadly Premonition. Positively smouldering with the stuff.

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Tue May 24, 2011 4:37 am

Some good calls on Shenmue and Football Manager

Mine might be an odd choice - Vendetta / Crime Fighters 2 - it's one which I never thought much about at the time, but impresses me a lot now. The amount of work that was put into animating the character moves and reactions, as well as all the background interractions is really quite amazing. It must have at least 2 or 3 times as many frames of animation as any of its contemporary scrolling beatemups like Final Fight or SoR.

I don't know anything about the development story, but it seems to me like they must have had a pretty free hand to add as many moves and weapons as they wanted. I suppose it's fatal flaw is that it probably cost so much to make that they felt the need to recoup the expense by making it such a coin muncher, with some very cheapshot end of level bosses (or maybe I'm just rubbish at it).

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 24, 2011 5:04 am

The SAM Coupe versions of Lemmings Prince of Persia deserve a mention. They're right up there in both graphics and gameplay with the 16-bit versions, yet made for an 8-bit machine with next to no commercial potential, and had no hope of turning much of a profit for the developer.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue May 24, 2011 7:06 am

Tempest 2000 Atari Jaguar.-Minter huge fan of Tempest, really poured everything into the game.

AVP:Jaguar-Rebellion going for FPS approach when Atari wanted a 2D side scroller.

Captive (ST/Amiga) Just superb, Crowther at his best.

Xcom-So much depth to it, masterpiece.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue May 24, 2011 7:23 am

thevulture wrote:AVP:Jaguar-Rebellion going for FPS approach when Atari wanted a 2D side scroller.
... and for having fought Sam Tramiel's penny pinching ways. He wanted Rebellion to use only a "standard" 2MB Jaguar cartridge so they had to fight him all the way to get him to relent in permitting them to use a 6MB capacity cartridge that the game thankfully ended up using. Props to them for that.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue May 24, 2011 7:29 am

Also, with AVP, programmers being used as dead bodies etc, just seemed like Rebellion put so much into the game-Wish they'd done the same with the more recent PS3/360/PC game!

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Wed May 25, 2011 1:53 am

Chrono Trigger immediately comes to mind for me - just a superby polished game with great characters and story/script, plenty to do besides the main game e.g. several optional sidequests further developing each character's story, and many possible endings (about fifteen all told I think). Certainly a game a large amount of loving hard work went into.

The recent Streets of Rage Remake from BomberGames deserves a mention here as well (especially being a freeware game) - eight years of hard work on that one and it shows in the final release.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed May 25, 2011 3:03 am

thevulture wrote:Also, with AVP, programmers being used as dead bodies etc, just seemed like Rebellion put so much into the game-Wish they'd done the same with the more recent PS3/360/PC game!
The only real "labour of love" about that most recent game was in its marketing. :?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Thulsadoom

Post by Thulsadoom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:09 am

Matt_B wrote:The SAM Coupe versions of Lemmings Prince of Persia deserve a mention. They're right up there in both graphics and gameplay with the 16-bit versions, yet made for an 8-bit machine with next to no commercial potential, and had no hope of turning much of a profit for the developer.
Have to agree with those. You could make the argument that Prince of Persia was early enough in the machine's life that it was still at the time when it was hoped it could somewhat succeed, but there is no way anyone could argue Lemmings was anything but a labour of love. It works so brilliantly, and was made at a stage in the SAM's existence that the creators knew, even if it turned a profit, it would be negligible.

In fact, a number of the SAM's games could be attributed as labours of love by their creators, but those two stand out, since they're genuine licensed games that pushed the machine and showed what it could do. :-)
My Blog -

Mr.Saturn

Post by Mr.Saturn » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:10 pm

Well, the original Pokemon games (Red, Blue & Green). Tajiri often spoke of his lifelong desire to realize the sense of wonder
and curiosity he experienced as a child catching bugs in forests and swapping with friends. I feel the originals capture these sentiments perfectly.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Another Vote for Shenmue and Gran Turismo. Also Nights Into Dreams is another. Yuji Naka feels very strongly for it and cried the first time he saw the FMV pieces. He said he never wanted to work on a sequel in the same way that Steven Spielberg never wanted to work on a sequel to E.T because it was special to him.

Football Manager is another obvious one that a few have mentioned. A total love of Football was required to make them. I am in the year 2038 and have got Cwmbran Town (900 rep) up to the prem and have won multiple septuples and am now the richest club in the world! Only in FM.

Another game would be Pikmin. It was a total Miyamoto game that he created purely out of his love for gardening!

Panzer Dragoon Saga seems to be another labour of love. Oh and i nearly forgot to mention Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Anything by Miyamoto. Donkey Kong may have been created out of the commercial need for a new product, but he still imbued it with so much character and imagination that it's a classic even today. Zelda of course was bourne out of his love of exploring as a child while Pikmin came from his interest in gardening when he got older. He's a man who can turn anything he's passionate about into the basis for a game, even if the link is quite abstract.

And, charmingly, he still raves about how proud he is of Wii Music even though nobody else 'got' it.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

richuk123

Post by richuk123 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:21 pm

I'd tend to agree with the manager series made by sports interactive

Even after the split with EIDOS (who must be kicking themselves) the fan base stood firm and grew at a massive rate.

Must be great working in the SI office!
Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector.