Games that were a labour of love....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

tmc

Games that were a labour of love....

Post by tmc » Mon May 23, 2011 9:30 am

So what games do you think we're the biggest labour of love for the developer(s)?

By a labour of love I mean a game that you get the feeling they absolutely loved developing, the sort of they made you feel they would develop for nothing and stick with it even if they knew the only person ever to play it would be them! The game that they went the extra mile with.

Two games that come to me would be Beatles Rockband - the presentation, extras, core game and attention to detail just feels lika a bunch who went all out and loved the music and understood the cultre of the Beatles and what it meant to them and those who would be playing it.

Another game is obviously Gran Turismo, probably would take the number one 'labour of love' slot - those crazy guys are just lucky to have a publisher who takes all the missed dealines that comes with a developer that has to get it 'just right'. Hell, they even built their own real world sports car during development!

Your thoughts...... from big developers and small, commercial successes and disasters????

DreamcastRIP

Re: Games that were a labour of love....

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon May 23, 2011 10:06 am

Segagaga (DC) seems an obvious choice to me.

The following info, taken from the game's Wikipedia page, highlights why,

"When the director of Segagaga, Tez Okano, first presented the game's concept to Sega management, it was misconstrued as a joke. When he requested funding a second time, Sega's president, Hisao Oguchi, gave Okano a development budget. Okano subsequently spent two years developing the game in secret, fearing that "anything could have happened" if it was revealed.

When the finished game was presented, Sega, struggling economically, did not feel that it would cast a negative impression on the company and authorized its release... Okano marketed the game himself, receiving a budget of about $200. He spent more than half of the money on a wrestling mask to hide his identity. Setting up signing events at four locations in Akihabara, he rewarded Sega fans who visited all of them.
"

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segagaga )
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Mon May 23, 2011 10:49 am

I'd say the early ISS Pro Evolution games on PSX and probably also the PS2 PES series as well.

Early on there was less commercial pressure on Seabass' team. They couldn't compete with FIFA for the casual mass market so decided to make a game that was quality over quantity, and would appeal to a smaller but dedicated fan base. It was like they made a game that they would want to play and invest time in.

Once the series started going multiplatform and licensing/endorsement pressures got out of hand, I think the love went out of their labour. The next-gen incarnations of the series have been nothing short of pony. I regularly shed a tear for the decline of PES.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon May 23, 2011 10:52 am

I reckon the Smash Bros. games must have been fun to make.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon May 23, 2011 11:02 am

N64 Goldeneye was an unashamed labour of love. Based on the 2.5 years dev time and what we know of the team involved, it must rank as one the most successful labour of love games ever created.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon May 23, 2011 11:11 am

Duke Nukem Forever. So many years in dev hell but it still due out (allegedly). Gotta be a labour of love.

Flint

Post by Flint » Mon May 23, 2011 11:14 am

I had that feeling when playing A Boy And His Blob (Wii) and interviews with the developers have backed that up, one of their kids even voiced the boy.

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Mon May 23, 2011 11:45 am

I'll second that on Beatles Rock band; it's the only music game I still play. The psychadelic scenery (and wonderful opening) could only be done by people who felt truly honored to be working on such a legacy.

I reckon Okami seemed full to bursting with love. It's full of character, mythology, beauty and such a believable land that could feel empty and desolate if it wasn't for the developers wanting to create something that felt more important to them than their own children!
Clover then turned into Platinum games (didn't it?) and all four of those games (Madworld, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Infinite Space) have been pumped full of love... especially Bayonetta :lol: They may not necesarily be my favourite games, but there's no denying that the developers had a great time creating them.
Chazz it up!!!

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon May 23, 2011 11:58 am

c0nfu53d wrote:Duke Nukem Forever. So many years in dev hell but it still due out (allegedly). Gotta be a labour of love.
Those guys kept going after 3D Relms shut down from what i remember.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon May 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Pretty much everything done by Smilebit:

'Hey guys, let's make obscure games that will appeal to about 10 people and only really be appreciated by the masses after SEGA disband us'

'...Sounds great!'

:cry: WHY DID THEY HAVE TO GO?!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Scorcher (Saturn) - small team, backed by an equally small publisher, wringing everything they could out of the console.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon May 23, 2011 12:54 pm

An interesting topic, I can imagine it getting quite contentious!

Of games I've recently played I'd have to go for Nier - it was obviously developed on a shoestring but I found it to be an absorbing experience despite obviously not having the money lavished on it that more big budget productions do. The narrative is strong, with by-play between characters often being highly amusing, while at other times it can be quite moving, and it is all underpinned by a fantastic soundtrack.

I've just started playing Persona 3 FES on the PS2, and while I can't say for certain yet whether I think it belongs in this category, I am hugely impressed by the artistic style and narrative vision. They were clearly committed to more than just bunging out a stock JRPG.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon May 23, 2011 1:24 pm

Shenmue. Yu Suzuki poured his heart and soul into this game and it showed.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon May 23, 2011 1:50 pm

I would go for something more modern and say the latest Football Manager titles, the fact the many football players and managers play the game without financial endorsement, prove that they are made by people with a real love for the sport.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon May 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Battlesphere on the Jaguar

Read the story of the game by the programmers and you will know why