Loaded and Reloaded PC and PS1

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Cebius

Loaded and Reloaded PC and PS1

Post by Cebius » Sun May 22, 2011 10:31 am

i have always loved old games ever since i was a kid back in 1992. When i was 3, i played Duke Nukum 1 and 2. I registerd to this site since i wanna share a special tresure in my game collection, that game is called Reloaded for PC.

A bit of gameplay can be found in this video incase you have not played nor seen the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltkbL8I9K_E
Never played Loaded but i think its pretty much the same i guess.

What makes this game special to me? Well i love the character designs, they are both creative, fun and interesting. My favorite characetr from taht game is Sister MagPie, and Cyber Nun lol.
The musics in that game is really good, every tune fits each level perfectly and you cane ven listen to them in your favorite music player.
The best thing about this game is that it is Coop! YES! Coop, you can take a friend or family member to join the battle againt the C,H,E,B.

So any of you guys or gals played this game? i would like to hear what you think :mrgreen:

Edit: Speaking of drawing arts, i have uploaded 3 FanArts on the Consumer, Sister MagPie and Butch. I have plans to draw the other 2, Big Mama and Cap'N Hands.
So right now, enjoy these 3

Sister MagPie: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/ ... 3eyvv7.png
The Consumer: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/ ... 3gs92g.png
Butch: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/ ... 3gzd73.png

I used MS Paint and Photoshop to make these.
Dont mind how Butch was made, he was more for the lulz XD
I personaly likes Sister Magpie at best since i put alot more effort into the art.
The Consumer was acutaly very fun to draw, gave her weapon a little upgrade lol.
My art style is not for realism, so no comments how unrealistic it is lol, also, its not manga nor anime or whatnot, just you guys and gals know XD
Critics are wellcome ;)
Last edited by Cebius on Mon May 23, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adippm82

Re: Loaded and Reloaded PC and PS1

Post by adippm82 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:09 am

Hi Cebius

When I first got my PS1, I got Ridge Racer and Wipeout with it, Inside the pack was a demo disk, with a large playable demo of Loaded on it.

Me and my mate spent hours playing this demo, the brilliant lighting effects, the over the top gore, the non stop shooting action, weapons getting ever more powerful, wonderfully dark gaunt corridors, it was excellent.
I bought the full game as soon as it came out, and it was great to play through, it became a bit samey towards the end, but I still play it every now and then, the soundtrack is great, and being a 2D game it has not aged too badly.

Now I bought the sequel Re-Loaded as soon as it was released....and hated it, gone were the atmospheric dark corridors of the original, showing up the laughably bad animation of the characters, whoever thought it was a good idea to have the enemy sprites the same colour as the background needed shooting, they are transparent for some reason, just about acceptable in the olden days of the Sinclair Spectrum, but not in 1996, the lack of variety in the enemies just made the game a very boring chore, the lighting effects that made the first game so special are not nearly as impressive here, and the explosions are a blocky mess.

The poor reviews it received on release (and after I bought it) pretty much summed up my disappointment, the game case was sacrificed to restore a battered copy of Robo Aleste on the Mega CD, and now sits quite unloved in a plastic wallet.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun May 22, 2011 11:12 am

awful awfull games even back then
ugly graphics
lacklustre repetitive gameplay
good to play 10 minutes if your extremley bored but other wise ? a very expensive coaster
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Cebius

Post by Cebius » Sun May 22, 2011 11:26 am

adippm82 wrote:Hi Cebius

When I first got my PS1, I got Ridge Racer and Wipeout with it, Inside the pack was a demo disk, with a large playable demo of Loaded on it.

Me and my mate spent hours playing this demo, the brilliant lighting effects, the over the top gore, the non stop shooting action, weapons getting ever more powerful, wonderfully dark gaunt corridors, it was excellent.
I bought the full game as soon as it came out, and it was great to play through, it became a bit samey towards the end, but I still play it every now and then, the soundtrack is great, and being a 2D game it has not aged too badly.

Now I bought the sequel Re-Loaded as soon as it was released....and hated it, gone were the atmospheric dark corridors of the original, showing up the laughably bad animation of the characters, whoever thought it was a good idea to have the enemy sprites the same colour as the background needed shooting, they are transparent for some reason, just about acceptable in the olden days of the Sinclair Spectrum, but not in 1996, the lack of variety in the enemies just made the game a very boring chore, the lighting effects that made the first game so special are not nearly as impressive here, and the explosions are a blocky mess.

The poor reviews it received on release (and after I bought it) pretty much summed up my disappointment, the game case was sacrificed to restore a battered copy of Robo Aleste on the Mega CD, and now sits quite unloved in a plastic wallet.
Well thats your opinion really, i can agree with few things about Reloaded, few blocky pixels, but it never stoped me from enjoying the game, and even better, it did not stoped me from drawing a couple of fan arts on the characters lol, drawing Butch as we speak :)

EDIT: Or lets say now that i have them uploaded already, look above for them :)
Last edited by Cebius on Mon May 23, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sun May 22, 2011 1:13 pm

Loaded was a great game. One of my first Playstation buys. Lots of fun mindless blasting with the added bonus of Pop Will Eat Itself on the soundtrack. I didn't buy a Playstation at launch so I got Loaded on the Platinum label along with Fade To Black and (I think) Rayman the same day I got my console. The other game I bought with it was X2 because it was only a tenner.
None of those games look particularly brilliant these days, but I enjoyed them all the same. Especially Loaded. Might dig it out for a nostalgic blast.

Never bothered with Re-Loaded.

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:28 pm

never enjoyed these games when they were first released, however I have being playing the Saturn version of loaded recently and have being really enjoying it.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Also have Saturn Loaded, it's fun for a while but about as deep as a puddle. Switch off your brain and keep shooting!

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:15 pm

snowkatt wrote:awful awfull games even back then
ugly graphics
lacklustre repetitive gameplay
good to play 10 minutes if your extremley bored but other wise ? a very expensive coaster
I disagree. Back then me and my mates played the PS1 version to death! I think they looked great with those lighting effects and the sound was pretty good too. I now have it on the Saturn and play it a bit, and I can see why we enjoyed it, its everthing you didn't describe.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun May 22, 2011 2:35 pm

I remember first playing Loaded on the Demo1 disc that came bundled with the PS1 and I thought it was ace but on buying the full game found it ultimately too repetitive and limited (though still pretty fun). Was working at Argos at that time, had disposable cash, so had bought a Saturn, too, and the lighting effects on Loaded really made the PS1 seem a way more impressive machine back then, prior to me getting hold of VF2, Sega Rally and Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

Re-Loaded was an odd game, less impressive graphically and felt a bit unfinished plus was far duller to play. Main thing I remember is the in-game grafitti on some of the walls, it was by a Sheffield graf artist called 'Fisto' AKA 'Fista' who had been given a harsh jail sentence for his doodlings, and I guess because Gremlin is/was based in Sheffield they wanted to pay homage.:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 42440.html

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun May 22, 2011 3:16 pm

The characters were superb (done by 2000AD artist i seem to recal) but game was seriousily average.Gauntlet dressed up in then fancy graphics.Bought it on strength of reviews, came away very dissapointed.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun May 22, 2011 6:49 pm

I have seriously bad memories of Re-Loaded. We got it for a tenner from GAME based on how cool the front cover art was. When we started paying it however it was abysmal. Incredibly repetitive after about 10 minutes, cruddy visuals and and just horrible for a top down shooter. That video shows how awkward it is to hit enemies. By the time you do theyve normally already taken a few chunks of health.

Safe to say, the first time i played it was the last time i played it.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Cebius

Post by Cebius » Tue May 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Well i can see there are mixed thoguhts about Reloaded. Some seems to like it, some dont.
For me anyways, i love it, maybe its because super low pixel graphics dont bother me, or that musics seems to keep me playing. Well whatever the reason, it seems unexplainable :)

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Tue May 24, 2011 4:43 pm

Despite seeing many ads and the fact it recieved a platinum rerelease on the ps1, I've never ever played Loaded. I did have a demo version of Reloaded on a coverdisc though and although it's my sort of game I really did not think much of it. It starts of fine with some good music and a selection of great characters (I think you played as that great big baby in a bunny suit which I thought was pretty disturbing at the time... I was only about 10!), but once you start playing the game was a bit of a disaster thanks to crappy 2d graphics and a difficulty that made the game almost unplayable.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue May 24, 2011 9:38 pm

thevulture wrote:The characters were superb (done by 2000AD artist i seem to recal) but game was seriousily average.Gauntlet dressed up in then fancy graphics.Bought it on strength of reviews, came away very dissapointed.
that would be simon bisley
game is still awfull though
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

jb1014

Post by jb1014 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:44 pm

I loved Loaded. It is basically Gauntlet with better graphics and music! Great fun.