The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures - new book

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Lorfarius

Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures - new book

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:38 am

It's great that there's a Kindle edition but it seems a bit strange to me to read the thing solely in black & white. Doesn't the benefit come from being able to see screenshots etc in glorious colour?
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:23 am

Lorfarius wrote:It's great that there's a Kindle edition but it seems a bit strange to me to read the thing solely in black & white. Doesn't the benefit come from being able to see screenshots etc in glorious colour?
The book isn't in color either...

discoalucard

Post by discoalucard » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Lorfarius wrote:It's great that there's a Kindle edition but it seems a bit strange to me to read the thing solely in black & white. Doesn't the benefit come from being able to see screenshots etc in glorious colour?
Price, man, price. :( The whole thing would cost over $100 US to have something in color, versus $27. That's the downside to POD.

rodarkone

Post by rodarkone » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:22 pm

I wanted to buy it but ... b&w kept me off - maybe at least the downloadable version could be in colors - I had enough of B&W manuals for the games in Europe now the books from US are B&W. And some of the games where gorgeous in color, the strongest point of an adventure game was the graphics and the color pallete.

If you think to "redo" the digitized version of the book in color please anounce it -

later edit: something is strange - I went on hardcoregaming101 website and there is the preview PDF witch is b&w, but I downloaded the preview from amazon.com and is in color - is the digital copy in color ?

discoalucard

Post by discoalucard » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:20 pm

rodarkone wrote:later edit: something is strange - I went on hardcoregaming101 website and there is the preview PDF witch is b&w, but I downloaded the preview from amazon.com and is in color - is the digital copy in color ?
Yes, it is. If you've got a iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad or are using the Kindle PC Reader, the pictures will be in color. I'll be releasing a color PDF or other epub formats soon, which will also be in color.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:56 am

discoalucard wrote:That's the downside to POD.
POD is the wrong genre for this book ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 pm

I forgot to mention I'd got this now, picked it up from the Post Office on Thursday.

I've got to say, I'm really impressed with it. For those who balked at the price, this isn't by any means a slim volume.This thing is well over an inch thick, packed with text. Every game has a boxout with its details at the start making it very easy to find games or skip to the next one if the current one doesn't tickle you. Part way through each review there's an appropriate screenshot (the mono images don't detract, they still impart the style well and are clear enough)

This is one of my new favourite books and I can see myself continuing to rank it highly if what I've read so far is any measure. Its not a dry technical book, its honest and informative reviews that are very easy reading.

Do buyers of the paper version get a discount on the PDF? ;) I'm sorely tempted to buy the digital edition as there's just so much content to dip into here.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.