Super Star Wars Trilogy (SNES)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

eeztheman

Super Star Wars Trilogy (SNES)

Post by eeztheman » Mon May 16, 2011 5:28 pm

Greetings all - as the title suggests, the JVC releases on the SNES from the early 90's.......remember when my older brother first purchased super star wars, blown away by the intro music at the time!!

A great, if at times frustrating trio of games on the SNES.......I especially found Empire to be the most difficult.

Great mixtures of platforming and Mode 7 levels.

What are your thoughts on these games - which one is your favorite and why?

ShadowMan

Re: Super Star Wars Trilogy (SNES)

Post by ShadowMan » Mon May 16, 2011 5:43 pm

These are still probably my favourite representations of the trilogy (with the Rogue Squadron series a close second). The graphics and the sound replicate the movies very well - I loved the mode 7 stuff back in the day, I thought it looked just like the battles in the movies :lol: The mode 7 battle of Hoth might not look so amazing compared to the Rogue Leader version of the level for example but it still lets you tie up AT-AT's which has always been my favourite bit.

The levels for the most part were really fun, with some of the Empire Strikes Back ones being a bit on the tough side (as well as the last couple in Jedi) but I thought the levels pretty much covered the main points of the movies fairly well. Looking back at them the collision detection does seem a little on the frustrating side where some battles were pretty damn difficult without the right weapon and even then some made it almost impossible to beat battles without taking damage (again, mainly Empire and a couple of bosses in Super SW).

Overall I'd probably pick Super Empire Strikes Back as my favourite - mainly for the Hoth levels, the Boba Fett/Slave One boss fight and the end boss fight(s) against Darth Vader. It might be a right pain to complete (even on the easiest difficulties) but I still enjoy playing through the game all the time.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon May 16, 2011 6:05 pm

..horrible games even for the day and age
they were horribly cheap and unfair with a difficulty that started at insane and then ramped it up

great graphics and music but awfull game play
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue May 17, 2011 8:01 am

Super Empire was definitely my favourite of the series. I remember first seeing screenshots of it in Game Zone's preview section and instantly started nagging my parents for it :mrgreen:

When I eventually got it for my birthday I spent months and months playing it. I did finish in the end, but it wasn't easy - especially the later cloud city levels. The force powers are great though, especially the one that lets you throw and then control your light saber.

I eventually got hold of Super Star Wars years later and I must say that it is pretty good too. I've got Super Jedi too, but I can't get past that initial sand speeder level :oops:

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue May 17, 2011 9:08 am

I only have the first one. It's very well put together and looks brilliant, but what's the point when it's so hard that you can barely get off the first level? All that effort the developers put in and 90% of players never saw half of it. What a shame.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue May 17, 2011 10:02 am

killbot wrote:I only have the first one. It's very well put together and looks brilliant, but what's the point when it's so hard that you can barely get off the first level? All that effort the developers put in and 90% of players never saw half of it. What a shame.
The difficulty does seem to really spike on certain levels thats for sure. On Super SW I distinctly remember having loads of problems on the Cantina brawl boss fight (I still can't beat him without a fullly powered up Chewbacca), the final Death Star level gave me loads of problems as a kid as well.

Empire was really tough from stage 1 and never got easier! I remember getting the game for my birthday and having an insanely tough time beating the first boss. Plus replaying it recently (on a higher difficulty) and I found the side on Snow Speeder level to be really annoying as when enemies are killed small pieces of debri break off and can still damage you - couple that with the fact its really difficult to dodge and you have a pain in the ass level! I think the later Luke levels are really tough as well if you don't gather all the force powers on Dagoba.

Jedi was easier than Empire thankfully. Its only the last couple of Endor levels and the final Death Star escape that really give me trouble on that game (though to be fair the Death Star II escape on any SW game gives me heaps of problems!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue May 17, 2011 12:01 pm

I only ever owned the original back in the day but it was a damn good game. Me and my bro clocked it numerous times on all difficulty settings. These days I find it pretty tough going. I really like the variation in gameplay, from solid 2D run and gun platforming to the mode 7 hoverbike thing and the Death Star trench run at the end. Brilliant stuff.

I've tried to play a bit of Super Empire Strikes back but it's really tough from the very beginning lol. Haven't bothered with Return of the Jedi as it's said to be quite poor.

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Never owned a SNES back in the day but I completed Super Return of the Jedi for the Game Boy. Amazingly I recently have discovered it plays very similarly to the 16 bit entry and is a lot more forgiving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XsUQA30 ... re=related

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Tue May 17, 2011 2:55 pm

I still think someone should make a fan version of 'Super Phantom Menace' to 'Super Revenge of the Sith', or better yet, Super Star Wars Special Edition, adding
things like HD graphics, and Jabba as a boss at Mos Eisley 8)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed May 18, 2011 3:56 am

C=Style wrote: I've tried to play a bit of Super Empire Strikes back but it's really tough from the very beginning lol. Haven't bothered with Return of the Jedi as it's said to be quite poor.
Its still worth a go if you liked the other 2 in the series. Like the movie its based on its pretty much the worst of the 3 but its still a decent fun game in its own right.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Wed May 18, 2011 1:03 pm

My SNES owning neighbour had these. Great to look at, but bastard hard to play.

Now, i know platformers were often pitched at the hard end of the scale back in the 16bit days, but these games took the proverbial at times.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Wed May 18, 2011 3:32 pm

All three are overrated, dire games with pathetic level designs, unpolished gameplay, and haphazard difficulty curves.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Thu May 19, 2011 4:55 am

ShadowMan wrote:
C=Style wrote: I've tried to play a bit of Super Empire Strikes back but it's really tough from the very beginning lol. Haven't bothered with Return of the Jedi as it's said to be quite poor.
Its still worth a go if you liked the other 2 in the series. Like the movie its based on its pretty much the worst of the 3 but its still a decent fun game in its own right.
I'd definitely go for Return of the Jedi, It's may fav of the trio by a long shot. I found the 1st game impossible, I never got passed the cantina I don't think.

Empire is still hard, but with some perseverance its dooable, and after Hoth you get to play in the awesome Cloud City levels with amazing music and Chewbacca.

Return of the Jedi just rounds it off perfectly. The difficulty drops by miles, more character to choose from, using the force and some of the coolest bosses on the SNES! Some are so outrageous too, like when you get the the doors of Jabba's Palace, I don't remember that spherical thing from the door being so huge and shooting lasers at the droids!!! My favourite level on that one was the endor bunker which is like some crazy technological labrynth with loads on gun power ups for Han Solo and an awesome boss. (Death Star levels were great too).

I feel the first two are let down by difficulty (Empire gets easier after Hoth in my opinion) but Return of the Jedi is one of my favourite SNES games... I kinda feel like starting it up now :)
Chazz it up!!!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu May 19, 2011 5:29 am

I really feel like replaying all 3 games again now as well :lol: Might have to give them a shot again at the weekend.

Like you say the Cantina level can wind up being the sticking point for me on Super SW as well without the right weaponry. Chewie + Plasma Blaster and a long health bar usually works for me as that boss always seemed impossible to dodge with his extending kneck :? (must have missed that bit in the original movie!) A case of kill him before he kills you.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu May 19, 2011 6:08 am

Maybe it's just rose tinted nostalgia or maybe I'm getting less patient in my old age, but none of the Super Star Wars games frustrated me as much as certain modern games I've played (Lost Planet for example).